Workmen and their tea

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Right. Are you supposed to give workmen tea when they come and do a job? I've had 2 men here since 8:30 fitting a window in the front room. The whole time they have been here, I have been upstairs working. They have just about done now, and one of them came in to say they had finished, and thanks for the tea!

Now. My dad did say this morning are you going to make them a cup of tea. I said no. He asked why. So I explained that it was 8:30, they had JUST turned up, and I had to work, so I didn't have time to do it, nor did I really see the need for it considering they had just pitched up, and are here for just over 3 hours.

Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I really don't see the need for me to make them tea! I've paid for them to do the job, they aren't here for long enough to warrant a break, legally or physically, and I don't see why just because I am a female, and they are workmen, I am supposed to crack out the teapot and biscuits!

If they were here for all the day, then of course I would have either made tea, or made the facilities quite clear to them, and told them to do it themselves as I was busy. When my parents had workmen in to relocate the stairs, they were there for weeks. Mum was forever making them tea, and I did point out that this was kinda making the process longer, as they were stopping to drink tea AND then stopping for their regular breaks. Maybe I am in a REALLY mean mood today.

But now I feel bad for not making tea :( Not my fault though if I was upstairs working (with a splitting headache, not that that counts) and I was kinda prepared for the sarcastic comment regarding it, so I just smiled and ignored it.

Needless to say, I've now got to spend quite a lot of my time cleaning up as they trampled mud through the ENTIRE house, and have squashed the garden. I wonder if they will come and make me tea.......

I'm with you Tinytootz. I once had a workman show up at 10.30 to fit 1 carpet & he came in & the first thing he done was ask for a cup of tea. Needless to say he was shown where the carpet needed laying & that if he wanted tea it would be £2 a cup!!! (well he was charging me for fitting the carpet!!!! :rolleyes:)

They had this argument on the radio a few months back. I think the whole audience was split straight down the middle with it. Me personally think the same way, if they are there all day, then yes, cups of tea are in order. However, if they're only there for a little while, then why should they. If they were cheeky enough to ask though...then they certainly wouldn't be getting one!!

No, they never asked, just a sarcastic comment from one of the workmen as they left. Dad pointed it out to me that I should offer. Needless to say he didn't offer either, because dad is one of these people who thinks that women make tea and cook dinner, men read the news paper. Sadly for him, his daughter has issues with complying and doing as she is told :D

I'd probably have offered to be honest, but its a bit rude of him to come & thank you in a sarcastic way!

Most workmen are in big vans, this often means they can't stop in the same way as you or I can in a car, due to parking. My OH drives around in a 7.5tn lorry all day, so opportunities to stop for a drink, or food are limited. Thats why I would offer if someone was going to be in the house for over an hour doing work. BUT, thats my choice - and rest assured if someone sarcastically made a comment about me not offering I'd happily tip the whole kettle full of water over their head before I let them drink it - I would probably refuse if they asked outright as well.

I have to say that when Im at home in the uk... the 1st thing I do as the workmen enter the building is say "cuppa?" -I would never occur to me NOT to offer :p
I have always found they drink as they work and they never seem to leave a mess... then again it could be coincidence.

:) each to their own it seems. I think the presumption annoyed me, and I always wonder "where do you stop!"

I remember when my parents were having the stairs done, not only did she make them tea, biscuits and sandwiches every day, when they were done, they also each got a bottle of whiskey, some flowers for their wife, and some chocolates, which is really kind of her, but where on earth do you stop! With my mother, it's almost like a "thank you" just simply doesn't cut it!

Perhaps it also didn't help that I myself hadn't even had time for a cuppa this morning, as I was busy moving the stuff so they could get to the windows before I started work :D

*they cleaned up where they were working, but alas, muddy prints still remain. Along with the dogs, I might add :D

:)

I remember when my parents were having the stairs done, not only did she make them tea, biscuits and sandwiches every day, when they were done, they also each got a bottle of whiskey, some flowers for their wife, and some chocolates, which is really kind of her, but where on earth do you stop! With my mother, it's almost like a "thank you" just simply doesn't cut it!

My word !!!! I hope you do not mind me saying, but that is way over the top. They were doing a job they were paid to do.

I wonder why we are so grateful when a job is well done and the workmen are pleasant . Surely that is how it is supposed to be. Not something that deserves an extra reward. They should be thanking your mum for giving them the work.
Your mum is a very generous and sweet lady.

I would always offer a drink, but I think that is because for years Paul worked in a service industry and would sometimes come home spitting feathers because no one had offered him a drink all day. When he is working out of the house these days he takes a flask.

I always offer a cuppa - it is the done thing and always has been. Not sure if that is just a northeast thing as everyone I know does the same.

I got a call from Virgin Media advising he'd arrive in 30 minutes I told him the kettle would be on.

No big deal, but then the kettle is always on I suppose. Hell if it's an early morning call, I'll throw a bacon butty in - share and share alike - amazing what freebies/extras you can get doing that lol.

Steve

I would offer tea to anyone who came in to my house, friend, foe, workman or just here for a quote. If they were here at 8.30am, I would offer tea and toast. LAter tea and biscuits, if I had any. If I was making sarnies for me, would offer them too. Does it really hurt, or take any more than a couple of mins to offer a cup of tea??!!! Think it's rude to make sarcastic remarks about no, but would certainly consider someone extremely rude and miserable if I went to someone house and wasn't offered a cuppa. MAybe that's just me!

I am of the opinion that when i have guests in my home, paid or otherwise, they are offered refreshments. However, the sarcastic remarks are uncalled for. If you're that thirsty go starbucks!!

I would offer them a drink for sure, but I only drink green tea or detox tea and most people (particularly men!) don't like it, and even if they had their own teabags, I never buy milk as I never drink the stuff, so they'd have to put up with it black.

I suppose they could have a glass of water if they wanted, otherwise they might be best to bring their own flask :D

I also don't keep crisps or biscuits and I can't make them sarnies because I always freeze my Nimble loaf (since it's only me eating it) so it is only really good for toasting :D

Tinytootz said:
:) each to their own it seems. I think the presumption annoyed me, and I always wonder "where do you stop!"

I remember when my parents were having the stairs done, not only did she make them tea, biscuits and sandwiches every day, when they were done, they also each got a bottle of whiskey, some flowers for their wife, and some chocolates, which is really kind of her, but where on earth do you stop! With my mother, it's almost like a "thank you" just simply doesn't cut it:D

You have to be kidding!!! I agree thats totally ott. Sorry if I'm paying someone to do a job that's it and if they're only in a few hours they can easily cope a few hours without a cup if tea. But then I don't agree with tipping either

Even if they're working to a tight schedule the time they saved having a cup can im sure be used for a quick stop somewhere.

It is very OTT. Its at the stage where if the person does the job they are supposed to do (as Fillymum said), she thanks them and gives them gifts......that's what they, and everyone else are supposed to do when working, the job they are paid for.

It took me about 2 hours to clean up the mess from the windows today, and then another hour for my own mess made from ze animals, and I managed it without even a snifter of a cuppa :D

Horses for courses I guess. I offer guests a drink, and anyone who is working for a long time, but otherwise, nah. I had work to do, rather than making them tea. And paid work too, for which I didn't get a virtual cuppa :D

No, sorry. Fix my house and get out. Lol I pay you to repair, not to sit and havva gossip over a cuppa.

If they were there for weeks, then yes maybe. Not for the odd job though. No way.

Mad isn't it. It wouldn't occur to me that anyone would allow someone in their house without offering them a drink. I thought it was basic common courtesy. It takes seconds to make a cuppa, and costs next to nothing. Just shows we're all difference. Maybe I spent too long married in to an irish family!

I think the original question was are you supposed to offer them a drink? Generally I think you aren't supposed to do anything you don't want to (aside from obvious legal stuff), so the answer is no!

Each to their own I think.

On the subject of tips for delivery drivers etc - My OH delivers furniture for a big department store & they don't expect tips for doing what they are paid to do - but when someones carried your new sofa up 8 floors of stairs cos your lift is broke, it would be nice if they were given at least a cup of tea as a thank you - thats not within their job description and they would be well within their rights to refuse to do it :)

Back