worried- I have GAINED!

sweet-like-coco

I have gained a kilo and a half which is the equivalent of 3 pounds- in a week. I have been sticking to my points. My worry is that it is because I have switched over from Atkins my body may be resisting. I really really need this to work. Is there any chance that it cannot work for me? I cant be fat anymore! I have even considered becoming anorexic- i know that's bad! but I am struggling so hard to lose weight and I seem to be gaining instead of losing....I was so determined to not be fat this year and another year has gone by and I am still the same weight as last year- in fact 4 pounds heavier. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I am so so sad :(

you can't choose to become anorexic, anorexia is a mental illness, one which kills many people per year.

I have spent quite sometime trying to decide whether to respond to this! I want to start by saying that anorexia is a disease - not a lifestyle choice!

So anyway, back to your 'gain'. Was this an official ww weigh in? If so did your leader provide advice?

If not, don't trust it! Home scales lie!

You may need to give your body a while to settle - I think swapping diets often have this affect iniatially, but it will settle down.

Double check your food tracker - make sure you def write everything down - little bites, licks and tastes add up!

Finally give it a few weeks, I promise you if done right ww works - you just need to give your body time to understand whats going on!

I'm really really sorry if I have offended anyone- I do know what anorexia is as my mum is anorexic. I shouldn't have used the word but perhaps because I have to live with it I have become more "insensitive" if you like. I do weight watchers online so I always weigh in at home however I have a very expensive pair of scales- 200 pounds worth! I am due on for my period on a couple of days so maybe that is it. I just read about water tablets so I have ordered those from amazon to try. I just want to lose this weight and I have been so good it seems unfair! Again I am very very sorry if I offended anyone with my comment.

You retain water in and around your period, so it's likely to be that. At slimming world we call it a star week, and it's usually the explanation for a gain iif you've sticked one hundred percent to the plan.

Don't despair after a gain, you have to look at it as a process in which each week, you're chipping off a little bit more. You can always lose it again, it isn't there forever. I put on three pounds a few weeks ago, and yes, it was upsetting, but you have to keep in mind that if you gain some, you can lose it.

If you don't feel the plan is working for you, you can always try something else. I highly recommend slimming world as it works for me. But you should give it a good few weeks before you decide to try something different. Sometimes these things can take a while to get going.

Persevere, it WILL pay off :)

I'm really really sorry if I have offended anyone- I do know what anorexia is as my mum is anorexic. I shouldn't have used the word but perhaps because I have to live with it I have become more "insensitive" if you like. I do weight watchers online so I always weigh in at home however I have a very expensive pair of scales- 200 pounds worth! I am due on for my period on a couple of days so maybe that is it. I just read about water tablets so I have ordered those from amazon to try. I just want to lose this weight and I have been so good it seems unfair! Again I am very very sorry if I offended anyone with my comment.

Aw hon, don't worry I understand now. And I am sorry to be insensitive myself, but do you think thats maybe where some of your issues are coming from (your mums health probs)? Really you aren't that overweight by your bmi, and I suspect you prob look fab!! Maybe you really need to see your gp to talk things through?

Hope you are ok xxx

Sorry meant to add - that totally explains the gain!!! Blooming af will do that to you alright, so I would think thats your problem.

Thanks Purple Star. I do definately think my mums problem is what has caused my weight problem. She has had this problem for years since I was a baby and she has always been telling me this is fattening and that is fattening... i guess I chose to subconsciously rebel. My BMI is 29.4 when done on the nhs website. for some reason it is lower on this forum. I am only 22 and I just feel really really fat. And I am a size 18 so not that good :p We are going to Cyprus in the summer so live there permanently and everyone out there is stick thin. I hate it...

Can I say that becoming an anorexic is caused by obbsession with not being fat becoming fat and not eating so anyone can become anorexic if they cant cope with their weight anymore,no you cant choose it as a lifestyle but anyone can become one x

Sweet I know exactly how you feel I am 23 and stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have previously done the canbridge diet for my wedding and lost 5.5 stones. However that has slowly crept on mainly due to being depressed after the wedding etc......... I now need to sort myself out. I had my thyroid removed too and my doctor just doesnt seem to give a dam.

I have decided to give it until my birthday in July (if I can wait that long) and then if it isnt working then I am doing to do the evil of all evils and going back on the cambridge diet.

I keep telling myself how bad it is for me but it cant be worse than feeling the way I feel.

PLease just try and stick it out.

Much love xxx

I know exactly how you feel. I swapped from a VLCD after losing 5st and then mucking about on it for weeks. Came to WW and promptly gained 5lbs across my first few weigh in's. But I have persisted and had my first loss last wi. I think as others have said that your body needs to adjust to the different level or different type of food that you are now eating. I think that your body has gotten used to one diet and when you change your body goes into a form or shock/starvation mode and thinks it will never be fed again. After a while it realises and the new programme that you are on begins to work.

Stick at it and you will lose - promise :D

A gain after atkins is to be expected u've forced ur body to go into ketosis when it shouldn't be so now ur eating normal food again ur body is thinking thankgod! But give it a few weeks the scales will go the other way eventually there's no reason for it not to work x

Id agree with everyone else. its a combination of coming out of ketosis and totm - and, you havent been on WW a week have you?? You should really only weigh in once a week

Thanks Purple Star. I do definately think my mums problem is what has caused my weight problem. She has had this problem for years since I was a baby and she has always been telling me this is fattening and that is fattening... i guess I chose to subconsciously rebel. My BMI is 29.4 when done on the nhs website. for some reason it is lower on this forum. I am only 22 and I just feel really really fat. And I am a size 18 so not that good :p We are going to Cyprus in the summer so live there permanently and everyone out there is stick thin. I hate it...

Thats such a hard situation for you hon. And to be fair to your mum, she won't have known she was doing it bu tI think we are more conscious now a days. I be very careful what I say in front of my kiddies.

I completely understand that weight is all relative to each person, and we all are hard on ourselves whatever our size!! Its just I started with a bmi of 40 odd, so when my bmi was the same as yours I felt slim by that point lol. But I understand that to you that feels huge - but to put it in context that is actually pretty much the average bmi in the UK!

Honestly, ww does work. You have had a hard start, just stay off the scales til TOTM has been and gone, and keep up your good work. WW really is a fab programme.

Are you going to class?

I really hope that your mum is receiving treatment and recovering well, I really do feel for you xx

Can I say that becoming an anorexic is caused by obbsession with not being fat becoming fat and not eating so anyone can become anorexic if they cant cope with their weight anymore,no you cant choose it as a lifestyle but anyone can become one x

Yep and not wanting to get into a debate about it, just to clarify I just meant that its a progressive disease - you just don't decide one day to become anorexic. And in fact many sufferers don't realise that they are anorexic. Its not a conscious decision, if you see what I mean.

But the op has explained the comment now, so its all ok xxx

Thank you so much for all the support everyone. I really feel better knowing that I have everyone on here supporting me. I felt like an idiot after what I said about anorexia so I am really happy that no one has taken offense. I will stick to it and I have to believe it will work. Do you know what? the problem is that I am moving to Cyprus- if I had been staying in the UK I would have been more relaxed about the whole thing.

I also have been on numerous other diets- Sureslim, Cambridge diet, Atkins you name it. That is why I feel like a failure because it wasn't the diets that didn't work it was my own fault. I have also thought about doing Cambridge again as I did lose about a stone but I don't think I want to mess up my system anymore. There must have been a reason why i gained back almost all the weight. I need to realise this is what I will be doing for life- and I am ok with it as long as it works for me. This is my problem- not believing in myself. Purple Star you are a huge inspiration that it can be done!

sweet are you drinking plenty of water ? i have found this to make a big difference !! try and drink at least 2ltrs a day , i also drink a couple of cups of green tea with lemon every day and think this also helps , try and stick with it and sure you will see great losses soon.

Thank you so much for all the support everyone. I really feel better knowing that I have everyone on here supporting me. I felt like an idiot after what I said about anorexia so I am really happy that no one has taken offense. I will stick to it and I have to believe it will work. Do you know what? the problem is that I am moving to Cyprus- if I had been staying in the UK I would have been more relaxed about the whole thing.

I also have been on numerous other diets- Sureslim, Cambridge diet, Atkins you name it. That is why I feel like a failure because it wasn't the diets that didn't work it was my own fault. I have also thought about doing Cambridge again as I did lose about a stone but I don't think I want to mess up my system anymore. There must have been a reason why i gained back almost all the weight. I need to realise this is what I will be doing for life- and I am ok with it as long as it works for me. This is my problem- not believing in myself. Purple Star you are a huge inspiration that it can be done!

No those diets genuinely dont work they're not sustainable in anyway shape or form. sure you lose weight but you cant live a normal life style ever again and thats just not practical in this day and age where theres a lack of time, money and alot of job pressures x

No those diets genuinely dont work they're not sustainable in anyway shape or form. sure you lose weight but you cant live a normal life style ever again and thats just not practical in this day and age where theres a lack of time, money and alot of job pressures x

Dont let people in the CD/LL section hear that! If you follow their plans properly they get you back on to food and back to a proper eating habit. They do work and if you see them through and do them properly you CAN have a normal lifestyle again. You only have to look round Minimins to see proof of that.

Like any diet its not the diet to blame, any diet will work if its followed properly its up to us whether we do or not

Back