worried Mum

Red 42

Banned
I lost 43lb on CD 2 years ago for the holiday of a lifetime (Maldives where Hubby and I renewed our wedding vows :sigh:) but didn't manage to get back onto it (faffed around for a couple of months) and then gave up and put it all back on and some :eek:

I'm now trying again and have lost 19lb, but am seriously struggling, to the point that I've booked a hypnotherapy session to see if that will get my head into gear (see other thread on the subject)

My worry is this...we have a 15 year old Son who is seeing me struggle and I'm becoming really concerned that I'm setting a bad example for him...should I therefore try following a healthy eating plan instead such as SW and resign myself to the fact that it will take a while longer to lose my weight in order to try to get him involved? I understand SW cater for teenagers (he has been weighing himself and is 16st & 6 ft, and has admitted he would like to lose a little)

any advice would be most welcome

Hi there...well done for getting back on the CD wagon :)
I shouldn't worry about your son, he's old enough to know that there are different ways of losing weight. If you're worried, sit him down and explain to him what CD is, how good it is for you ie you're getting all your vits etc and why you're doing it this way and not one of the myriad of other ways out there. I'm sure he'll be supportive, he's your son after all.

Good luck :gen126:

I have a son his age :) I kept my CD journey very low profile. It was ages before he even noticed I was doing it. I remember him asking why I was drinking a shake instead of eating, and told him "don't ask....long story" :D

He never pushed it, but if he did, I think I would have put a far amount of negatives on Cambridge...much that I think it's fab, I wouldn't want that for my child.

so, I probably would have explained that it was helping me lose weight...had all the vits and minerals etc, but, it was hard and that I wished I had never got big in the first place. It would have been much better to have eaten healthily and done the exercise routine before it got out of hand.

thanks Karen & KD

he's a good lad, very caring and has told me many times that he couldn't do the CD thing...he also tells me I'm fine as I am :hug99:
but I have always said that I wish someone had told me when I was younger to be more careful with my weight...oh what we could do with hindsight :sigh:

I took daughter 2 to SW when she was 15. They were so helpful and supportive. I wasn't overweight at the time and so couldn't "walk in her shoes" as it were. She lost the weight she needed to but i felt, more importantly learned SO much. Nutrition, health, support of others, commitment...loads of things that she has used in her life since.

Hi

I have a client who is in a similar position to you. She has 2 teenage girls and like you is worried. She has decided to go do the SS+ plan, she can have a small 200 cal evening meal with this and although it's not a lot of food she will still be eating conventional foods with the family. Her family rarely see her have breakfast and lunch, so won't be fully aware of what she is doing.

Tracey
x

thanks Karen & KD

he's a good lad, very caring and has told me many times that he couldn't do the CD thing...he also tells me I'm fine as I am :hug99:
but I have always said that I wish someone had told me when I was younger to be more careful with my weight...oh what we could do with hindsight :sigh:

I was a chubby child in a slim household, and I was encouraged at the age of 16 to diet (before this I was told it would be puppy fat and would magically disappear when I reached my teens:rolleyes:)

I have yoyo dieted ever since:(

So I'm not sure how you could handle this, I think I would be inclined to encourage healthy eating and exercise and not mention the word 'diet'

Tracey
x

yes Minilady

I've struggled pretty much all my life with my weight and have recollections of dieting from the age of 8, although I did stretch out a bit in my teens (have some photo's where I had a really small waist) I was always considered to be the fat one :cry: and so for years we've never made a big deal about son's weight (he's never been grossly overweight, but just a big lad...was a 10lb 1oz baby :eek: ) so that he didn't become hung up on it like I have, it seems to have dawned on him gradually and it was only when he told me that he wanted to lose some before our summer hols that we actually discussed his weight..I'd also noticed that he had been trying to skip breakfast over the last few weeks, but we seem to have overcome that since BBC breakfast news did a story on it a week or so ago which he saw.

thanks for your replies folks...i'd be interested to know how anyone else is dealing with their teenagers weight issues.

Back