Worth it?

jenm

I'm currently on 7 & feeling great, don't own scales so just basing it on how I'm feeling!

Anyway, my friend is doing slimming world & said she can easily lose 3/4 lbs a week doing that. So my question is, is it worth doing the food packs & not eating , when you could still eat the likes of SW & still lose decent amounts every week?

I find I can lose no more than 6 or 7lbs a month on SW and WW....and that is if I'm lucky. Plus, it makes me OBSESS about food till it makes me miserable, cheat and ultimately fail. However, both are good plans. SW made me a healthier cook and WW is easier to fit round normal life. I will loosely follow WW when I get to a suitable weight again. Just my opinion though. X

Hi,lost a stone in 2weeks doing cambridge but was expensive and didnt like the packs,so I switched to s&s, I prefer the packs and it's a bit cheaper, I haven't lost big amounts on this , I'm halfway through week 2 and I've lost approx 4lbs,but for me it takes away the opportunity to over eat or eat loads of carbs,sugary food. I do have a protein meal as this is my saviour,actual food which is filling and healthy , also I know i would spend at least 30pound a week on healthy foods I.e weight watchers products,plus slimming group weekly fees, I like the strictness of this yet variety of products and protein options, once you buy products you can't return therefore I won't throw money down the drain and cheat,however at slimming clubs if I cheated and went off plan I just wouldn't go back! So after weighing all this up (no pun intended) I stuck to this and I'm feeling good,skin clearer and feeling in control for the first time ever,plus no dragging my poor children out in evenings to go to my weigh ins ! Whatever you decided I wish you good luck :)x

I tend to agree... I quite like these sorts of diets, in my experience i get much faster results than WW which I've done a few times and I don't have to think about food at all. I'm less likely to cheat or get the portion size wrong... The whole thing is taken out of your hands.

Yeh no I agree with the fast weight loss with vlcd & am sticking with s&s, just when I think about food I often think to myself id rather do SW. But it's like I'm just giving myself excuses to give in & eat.

Sticking with s&s for now as the packs are actually the nicest I've tasted on a vlcd so makes it far easier :)

I can cope without the food as I am making a mental note of what I fancy so I can have a small portion of it when I return to food. I am learning patience cos I know I can have whatever it is eventually! Plus, I will admit to having poked the end of my little finger into my dh's food if it is something really mouth watering and that has satisfied me (other people take a good sniff instead).

I find with the likes of SW I am so motivated to do it the first few weeks then I get very lazy and can't be bothered to constantly cook and prepare food for every meal and start slipping. VLCD's are a bit of a no brainer for me as I don't even have to think about it. As you can tell I'm a lazy sod haha! Also on slimming world my losses were extremely slow. Maybe 1lb a week? 2 if I was extremely lucky...

I love SW and that is how I will eat when I am at goal. I am on the social team as my friend is a consultant so I go to 3 classes a week to help her.

Anyway my point is some people can lose 3-4 lbs a week but not most. Most people will lose 1/2 to 1lb after being really good all week and they are happy with this

I really struggle to lose anything on SW. I went for 9 months last year and lost 1.5 stone and it was a hard slog to lose that

I have lost 3 stone 1 lb in 17 weeks on s&s and still feel really motivated.

At the end of the day you just have to do what us right for you

Personally I think it very much depends how you found yourself needing/wanting to lose weight. A lot of people get to that point because they eat too much/move too little and don't know what to do about it. Some wouldn't know healthy food if it came and slapped them in the face, some think a Greggs chicken pasty is healthy cause they've heard white meat is better than read meat. Plans that specifically show people how to cut down calories, make healthier food and cooking choices and have an element of control are all they need and they will do very well on them - without a doubt all slimming club based plans have successes, they wouldn't be able to keep going if they didn't, and they wouldn't have many people queuing to be in their magazines every month.

But, there are also the element of people out there (and I'm beginning to think we could be a majority!) who could start their own wikipedia on eating plans, having done them all, bought the cookbooks, lost the weight, but not kept it off after "coming off" and are then baffled as to what's going on. These are the people (me) who just can't stop eating - and this is where they need the help. They know what low gi is, they can catogorise green and red foods with their eyes closed, they know how many points are in a tin of baked beans. This, I believe, is where the limitations of these slimming club plans is most evident - they don't know what to do with these people. The cynical amongst us may suggest they do know what to do with them, but these people are their backbone that keeps their company going by turning up week after week after week - but that's just an opinion eh?

So, for people like me - yes, S&S is totally worth it. I spend considerably less on this than I did on my weekly food shop, I'm losing a great deal more weight than any other plan, and the time out from eating "food" is allowing me to examine the why. I sincerely hope this is my last time losing weight, this plan feels very very different and gives me the confidence to think it might just be the last time. Not having to think about points and choices and exercise is giving me the time to recognise my eating is so much more about my head than about my body - and that to me is the absolute key difference.

In 2 years with Rosemary Conley I lost a total of 2 stone (got to 3 and a half, gained, lost, gained, lost etc etc....). I've not quite done 16 weeks on S&S/LL and have lost not far short of double that. SW, WW - the same, I get to 2 stone max and then nothing, and I know now, that's about my head, not my body :)

I've tried & failed every diet I've ever been on because I get obsessed about red/green days, points etc etc. trying to justify having a large plate of potato wedges & beans at 9pm at nite because its 'free'. So far I'm loving s&s because I know I have 4 packs a day & that's that. I do believe tho that all these diets/food plans work it just depends on what works for u. At the end of the day eat less & move more.

For me, plans like Slimming World and Weight Watchers have always failed to give me much in terms of results, 1/2 or 3/4 a week, my losses were very rarely above a 1lb and until CD, I worked only in kg as well, so it seemed a teeny tiny amount for how hard I'd been trying.
Also, like others have said it forces me to focus on food, which I do more than well enough on my own. I also became obsessed with what was 'free' so still over-ate and I felt it did not teach me healthy habits, as I've never had a 'bad' diet, I just eat far too much.

I found that when I was on CD and later Slim and Save it made me be more creative with food, how to make a few ingredients together taste amazing, and I really love to cook!

my mum was saying similar things to me when I was doing LL especially the weeks I came home with a 2lb loss.. but I still lost a stone a month on average. And so I listened, tried WW, lost 3lbs in week 1 and gained 4lbs week 2.. lost that back off, plus 1lb the 3rd week.. then gave up.
I find counting everything so tedious! oh eat lots of fruit.. all I can think is how carby fruit is! low fat this low fat that, bleurgh, fat is not bad! sugar is bad!
sorry just my opinions..

I read there are two types of diet, ones that allow you to eat anything as long as its counted, or ones where you eat certain things, eg. food sachets. I think the diff types suit diff people.

Hmm that is what the sabotage in me keeps saying 'you could be eating 'real' food and still loosing weight! But tbh on a standard diet id still binge so wouldn't!!
A bit if a random question for this thread but are you aloud menthol and eucalyptus tea the only ingredients are spearmint and eucalyptus? Might help with my belly as it feels really bloated today :(

you can have peppermint tea so don't see why not, they are herbs rather than flowers.

After coming to terms with my 6lb loss a friend just put her status saying she lost 8lb on Ww grrrrr i have only been drinking 1.5l (at a min) of water a day can't drink any more as have pain in my lower AB but got a funny feeling I may have a bladder infection... Would that effect my losses? X

After coming to terms with my 6lb loss a friend just put her status saying she lost 8lb on Ww grrrrr i have only been drinking 1.5l (at a min) of water a day can't drink any more as have pain in my lower AB but got a funny feeling I may have a bladder infection... Would that effect my losses? X

If this is your friend's first week on WW her 8lbs is a loss of water. If it is not her first week then she is speaking utter nonsense (I nearly said the sh word). I have never been to a slimming class, scottish slimmers, ww, rosemary con, where someone has lost more than a lb or 2 weekly except in their first week.

Personally I would take no notice of her losses and don't tell her yours. Sounds like she is trying to want to put you off your choice of diet. You stick to your guns.

On the water front, up the water you use for your shakes as this counts towards your fluid intake too.

One of my friends has constant UTI's and doc tells her to drink plenty of water to flush it out.

Your 6lb weight loss in realistic terms is 3 weeks at a slimming class @ £4 odd a week, not to mention the food you have had to buy, also the diet books they force on to you. Your body is lighter but your purse is heavier in comparison.

Good luck with your journey.

Back