Worth joining Online??

JoRoger

Hi guys, really struggling trying to do this on my own, can't get to class as I'm a full time childminder and don't drive - thinking about joining online, is this worth it? Any good or bad experiences? Should I just buy a directory from ebay?
Really really feel like it would be easier to push a bus up a hill than get rid of this weight at the moment!

I like doing it online as you can weigh in each week, have progress charts which can be motivating, and access to latest information.
Of course you can get so much help on here :) but having the online info is great- you get all the recipes, features, food diary, plan information and a place to record your weight officially :)
Personally I like it, though I know others say it's not for them. I'm sure someone else will be able to offer an opinion :)

Honestly, before I joined a group, I did it myself, and if you're really motivated, I'd think it'd work :D I choose to go to group because it gives me a good kick up the bum when necessary (especially when the weight just doesn't seem to be shifting!) but I'm fairly sure you'd be able to substitute the support you get in group using forums like this one?

Why not give it a go? The most you really have to lose is some weight! Good luck!

I'm doing it alone at the moment - I bought the books on eBay, I buy the magazine each month, I take the recipe books out of the library and there's not many syn values that you can't find by searching google. And of course I use this forum daily on my phone. I think I'm quite motivated to do this on my own, it helps that my OH is doing it too and he's almost as obsessed with it as I am, he's like my own group with all the support I need :)

So personally I don't really see the point of joining online, from what I remember it's quite expensive too, isn't it? I mean having a weight loss chart would be nice but you can get these free on the internet anyway (loads of people have them in their sigs here) and from what I've heard about it I wouldn't pay for the benefits you get. But that's just me, and if you're really struggling and you think it'll help then go for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

JoRoger said:
Hi guys, really struggling trying to do this on my own, can't get to class as I'm a full time childminder and don't drive - thinking about joining online, is this worth it? Any good or bad experiences? Should I just buy a directory from ebay?
Really really feel like it would be easier to push a bus up a hill than get rid of this weight at the moment!

I do this online and I love it but it definitely isn't the right thing for someone who's already struggling. (i think it only worked for me because i didn't know any different when i started and now the motivation is the fear of going backwards) You have to be pretty self motivated which can be very difficult at times (I've had a lot of help from people here). It's a great resource (for looking stuff up) and I love seeing my weight go down on the chart but many of those things you can get from elsewhere. I'm not sure it helps to motivate me any more than here.

Sorry to be a bit negative (which I'm usually not about SW online) but in my opinion I'm not sure it would be the right thing for you. Feel free to ask any more questions though and good luck for whatever you decide.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

All depends on the dedication, I love online SW but personally I need the big moment of wi each week! Unfortunately I lie to myself, I cant lie to the scales at group!!

Max&GabrielsMum said:
All depends on the dedication, I love online SW but personally I need the big moment of wi each week! Unfortunately I lie to myself, I cant lie to the scales at group!!

You sound exactly like me i need to go to group to wi. That is all i do there i dont stay for the meeting but if i didn't have to wi i would fall off the wagon

I joined online but found I needed the "pressure" of going to group and wi. I actually enjoy the group though its nice to know you're not alone in struggling etc!

Im going to join online as getting to a class is difficult around work, plus I really am not a 'jolly joiner inner', and I hate the raffles and fruit things!!!!

However I am going to go to Boots every Monday and get a paper printout of my weigh in to keep in my food and feelings diary. Plus a photo every 4 weeks.

I am very competitive with myself and can stay motivated but I can get depressed and think why bother - and thats when I throw in the towel. Im not sure how Im going to get over that one yet, but I know going to class wouldnt stop it either - and I wouldnt want to discuss it with a room full of strangers, so Im counting on this forum and its members who have always been fabulous to help me keep it real!!!

Last edited:
Hi LessofLou,

Go for it. As long as you're aware of the potential pitfalls and how you might deal with them, then it's a great plan. I haven't got a single regret about my online subscription and am signed up til the end of the year :)

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Back