Would it be ok to do this?

razzledazzle

Would it be ok to cook a batchelors mac cheese and then blend it to make a cheese sauce??

I've seen a lasagne recipe that does this but wasn't sure if it would count as 'food abuse' (yes that old chestnut again).

If it is ok, then it could be used for any green day recipe needing a cheese sauce..... yummo!!

(I remember asking a SW consultant once if it was ok to make a tomato soup that called for a tin of baked beans to be blended in it and she said it was ok so just wondered if the same rules apply to Batchelors macaroni cheese)!

J x

Hmmm - that old chestnut again indeed!!

I wouldn't know what to say. I've never seen it in an SW recipe, is that where it's from?
I have a recipe for cheese sauce which is 1.5 syns a portion and uses a HEX of cheese if you want it posting.

Yeah its a SW recipe but I have no idea where I picked it up from (a forum somewhere I think, not the official SW site) ........actually just thinking about it, even if you just made up the mac cheese but didn't blend it, if you added it as your sauce to lasagne, which then needed to go in the oven, then the 'cheese' bit would melt into the 'sauce' bit anyhow wouldn't it?? Which would mean no need to blend?

I suppose you could use it for anything as long as it was being cooked again after being 'made up' as per packet instructions because if the cheese melts into the 'sauce' then it will just be one lovely thick saucey-cheesey-loveliness!

Does that make sense!?!

J x

Oooh Jaylou, I'd love your cheese sauce recipe if you don't mind posting it, thanks. x

PPS/ OK just re-read my post and now realise that what I'm referring to as the 'cheese' bit is actually the 'pasta' bit so wouldn't melt at all (total blonde moment there)!!

Last edited:
Here it is J...

1 oz cornflour
1/2pt veg stock
4 oz grated cheddar cheese
1 level tsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
salt & pepper

Whisk the cornflour into the veg stock, pour into a pan and cook until thickened
Stir in the cheese and cook, stirring continuously until cheese has melted.
Add the dijon mustard (i use wholegrain as its the only mustard I like!) and parsely and season to taste.
It's quite a thick sauce so you could use more stock/less cheese to thin it down a bit.

:)

Back