Would this be weird?!

Chubby chick 2023

Silver Member
I have a thread in slimming world, and I vowed to stick with Sw.

Am feeling disheartened by my loss - 2lbs in first 2 weeks.

I always repeat this pattern so vowed not to but.....

Would it be weird to low carb but still attend Sw weigh in?!

Here's the thing. When I low carb I can go for ages between meals, I'm not really bothered about food. It works for me up to the point when I cave in and eat pizza etc. HOWEVER..... What I never used to do was weigh myself (had a bit of a phobia). Joining Sw along with my husband has given me a focus, knowing I'm going to be weighed.

He is doing really well at Sw, 11lbs in 2 weeks, and as he is so overweight I really want to encourage him and carry on going with him.

I'll be honest, pasta aside, the SW diet doesn't really suit me. Despite eating loads of free and speed food I constantly feel hungry and bloated at the same time. I have to really plan meals to take to work etc, whereas when low carbing if I don't eat for 6 hours it's not a problem. However I have stuck to it and not cheated, knowing I'm going to be weighed.

But I don't want to be a quitter.

It seems Sw works for everyone, so is it just me feels like crap on it?

Another change I've made is to stop drinking, as I drank a lot when low carbing and I think this probably led to it not working very well.

Perhaps I should just try 2 weeks low carbing and if I have a loss on both of them then there's my answer? (first week loss will undoubtedly be water weight)

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I'm also just eating so much chemical ****, ff yoghurts pasta n sauce etc. Grrr. I always do this!!

It would be weird wouldn't it?

If I'm honest, I'd like to do it for a week to get a good loss and so the weigh in people didn't look at me so pityingly and ask me if I'd brought my food log so the consultant could check it.

It's hard to believe I'm a grown up isn't it?!?

Hey,

I don't think this is weird at all. Everyone has to find the weight loss method that works for them.

SW used to have red and green days, and one of them focused on protein. I'm not sure it was low carb in the way Atkins is, but it definitely limited carbs. Maybe do some reading of old posts to find out more? I've never done SW so can't offer exact details!

If low carb works for you, try it for a couple of weeks and hopefully you'll get the weigh ins you want at group! Even if you do your own plan, the weigh ins and group discussions can give you the support you want, plus it encourages your husband.

Let us know how it goes x x

Thank you, I will.
Having had soup and cheese for brunch I think I know which way I'm going!

Mad as it sounds I'm still going to pay my weekly fiver and weigh in. Not only to support Mr goldi chocs, but as an incentive to do the plan properly.

I don't have reliable scales at home, and a wonky bathroom floor means I can lose or gain 3 pounds just by leaning over slightly......

If low carb is what you want to do and still pay £5 to get weighed then do it. Nobody in the SW group needs to know and you are also going to support your husband. :)

I don't think it would be weird at all, you have to do what works for you and if you are going along to class to support hubby and also get the support of the class and the benefit of a weekly weigh in yourself then what harm is in it? I'm also doing low carb and got to say I agree about the lack of hunger - makes things so much easier! Best tof luck whatever you decide :)

Thanks guys. Yes, a part of me quite likes the idea of doing a 'secret diet'. The subversive anti-establishment part.

A part of me knows it's absolutely bonkers!
We shall see how I get on on Monday. A good loss will boost my mood whatever plan I'm following.....

Hey Goldi-Chocs,

Have you read in your SW book about 'Extra East SP'? (Page 56) It is basically a low carb SW - i've done it this week after a small gain last week.
You can eat as mush speed food as you want and as much P (protein) food as you want (look for the little (S) and (P) symbols in the book), but none/very little of the normal 'free food' (potatos, pasta etc).
You get your syns as normal.

Hi Bubble, yes I did consider doing that, but it's still essentially low fat - and it's the fat that has the satiety factor. But if I go back on SW I will do it via SP so as to avoid a big gain when I start to chow the pasta again!

Back