Would you eat this?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
I have a packet of Uncle Ben's risotto (5½ syns if you're interested!) but it went out of date in September 2009. So it's 3 months out of date. It was given to me and I never got round to eating it.

If I had it, it would a) save me money and b) save me a trip to the shops at lunchtime.

But I'm not sure whether to risk it. 3 months! I probably won't.

Would you?

if it says best before on it it should be ok if it says use by then i wouldn't my mother has tins that are say 3 years out of date and she still uses them lol and it aint killed her yet and i tried some tinned grapefruit at hers a few months ago that was dated 2003 admittedly i didn't check the date first but i was fine lol and it didnt taste bad

Personally, no I wouldn't, but I do have a thing about expiry dates, have to check everything.

Not sure where this trait came from, but for me it has to be in date, my husband will eat stuff thats been in fridge for 5 days when it says eat within 3, or if stuff is a month out of date "oh it will be fine" he says.

Me, never :D:eek:

Yep, it's all packed and dry - there is no risk of bug infection.
I think the only difference is that it might not taste as good as it would have in a first place. I did this few times with my soups and all was fine.

if it says best before on it it should be ok if it says use by then i wouldn't my mother has tins that are say 3 years out of date and she still uses them lol and it aint killed her yet and i tried some tinned grapefruit at hers a few months ago that was dated 2003 admittedly i didn't check the date first but i was fine lol and it didnt taste bad

I agree with this
best before date = yes I would eat it
use by date = no, I wouldn't eat it

ah, I didn't check if it was BB or use by...it's Best Before...perhaps I will then! I might heat it up, see how it tastes then decide whether or not to eat!

I've done this and I'm still here.

i think u'll prob survive ;)
i have some stir fry with edamame beans in the fridage, says USE BY 10th dec. do i eat it for lunch...? do the beans KNOW 12 hours have lapsed?? hmm but its a use by not a bb- any thoughts?

The shops and the government exaggerate the importance of BB and use by dates because they want you to be scared the food will make ill, throw it out and then go buy more! Yes with certain food like chicken, red meat etc you have to be careful but in general I tend to use common sense and my nose to decide whether something is safe or not.

vic if it smells ok use it its only veges if it had meat or fish in it id say no to risky

I would use it if it was me, these dates are usually a guideline by the makers of the product to cover themselves, the food will usually keep much longer - If the package is not broken or open - then it should still be edible.

Enjoy your lunch. X

Well I decided not to waste 5½ syns on it anyway so I can have a mini flake later lol! But I might have it next week.

I reckon your edamame beans will be fine :)

You didn't eat it so bit late joining this...but thought I'd tag along anyway lol!

If I listened to the dates while at uni, I'd have starved to death...I'm alive and kicking...though it MIGHT explain a few things lol ;-) x

I would eat it, but then I am a total pig and thats why I gotten this fat.......LOL.

I would probably be thinking, if its off and I get runs, then think of the calories I would lose.:eek:

I've just eaten quiche made with fromage frais dated 2/12. It hadn't been opened. I tasted it and it wasn't off so far so good lol

I think the words "best before" says it all. It is "best flavour" before that date but it is only a recommendation. Some products loose falvour after time. My mother always used to smell food. if it smells like it should then go ahead and eat it !!

lol...you're all hilarious...loving the comments, thank you :)

Back