Wouldn't recommend...

ermintrude

Gold Member
... SW sunblush tomatoes with garlic & oregano:

5957749834_8eff96c75c_o.jpg

:D

Now I know my oven is temperamental and overenthusiastic so I put it on about 80 instead of 110 and set my alarm to check it at 1 hour instead of waiting the full four hours - well this was it at 1 hour. :( Cremated to oblivion.

I did taste it to see if it would've been OK alive ;) but HUUUUUWW-EYY... :eek: Salt, salt, salt SALT SALT, and, uh... SALT.

I thought 2 tbsp was a lot and was indeed proven correct as that was all it tasted of :cool:

As well as that making it was a bit of an arse, there is no point chopping the garlic, it needs to be crushed as once you'd mixed everything, picked out the tomatoes to go on the tray 90% of the garlic remained in the bowl rather than sticking to/going in the tomatoes so you had to transfer the whole lot fiddly by hand. :(

There was also no point removing the seeds from the tomatoes - as you can see they needed the fluid if they were this 'crisp' after just an hour, irrespective of the temperament of my oven :(

If I did it again (which I very much doubt I will :rolleyes: ) I would use bigger tomatoes, not take the seeds out, crush the garlic and mix in fresh herbs (not dried oregano) and probably spend some syns on doing it in a drizzle of oil rather than cremating it in Fry Light. Oh and cut the ***SALT*!*!*!!!!!

It would also take no longer than 40 mins. Maybe an hour or so if you have a human oven. :rolleyes:

/Soapbox.

Ah come on now! It looks quite a lot better than the bottom of the pan I was cooking haricot beans in this morning to add to soup, and got so engrossed with Minimins I forgot about til it assailed my olfactory senses! Shame I can't compare pics, but said pan now soaking in Fairy Liquid in hope it will do a DIY cleaning job. Some hope!! Still, thanks for the warning - that's one recipe I shall never give a work out to.....

Look on the bright side - with a bit of a shake that tin foil will look as good as new :)

ermintrude said:
... SW sunblush tomatoes with garlic & oregano:

:D

Now I know my oven is temperamental and overenthusiastic so I put it on about 80 instead of 110 and set my alarm to check it at 1 hour instead of waiting the full four hours - well this was it at 1 hour. :( Cremated to oblivion.

I did taste it to see if it would've been OK alive ;) but HUUUUUWW-EYY... :eek: Salt, salt, salt SALT SALT, and, uh... SALT.

I thought 2 tbsp was a lot and was indeed proven correct as that was all it tasted of :cool:

As well as that making it was a bit of an arse, there is no point chopping the garlic, it needs to be crushed as once you'd mixed everything, picked out the tomatoes to go on the tray 90% of the garlic remained in the bowl rather than sticking to/going in the tomatoes so you had to transfer the whole lot fiddly by hand. :(

There was also no point removing the seeds from the tomatoes - as you can see they needed the fluid if they were this 'crisp' after just an hour, irrespective of the temperament of my oven :(

If I did it again (which I very much doubt I will :rolleyes: ) I would use bigger tomatoes, not take the seeds out, crush the garlic and mix in fresh herbs (not dried oregano) and probably spend some syns on doing it in a drizzle of oil rather than cremating it in Fry Light. Oh and cut the ***SALT*!*!*!!!!!

It would also take no longer than 40 mins. Maybe an hour or so if you have a human oven. :rolleyes:

/Soapbox.

I made them, they were lush. But I used lazy garlic and lazy chilli to sprinkle over abd JUST a sprinkle of salt. 4.5hrs later they were lush. Pics in my diary. Lush on scanbran with Philly light and lush through cous cous with roasted peppers.

I made them, they were lush. But I used lazy garlic and lazy chilli to sprinkle over abd JUST a sprinkle of salt. 4.5hrs later they were lush. Pics in my diary. Lush on scanbran with Philly light and lush through cous cous with roasted peppers.

Wow! Can I have your oven? :) As mine appears to be a funeral pyre :( I shall appeal to the Trade Descriptions Act. Im amazed I get *anything* cooked in it tbh! :eek: Right, off to find your diary! (Have you tried the beetroot hummus? I was going to have a go this afternoon but having seen my Skillz today I might give it a miss for now! :D )

Ah come on now! It looks quite a lot better than the bottom of the pan I was cooking haricot beans in this morning to add to soup, and got so engrossed with Minimins I forgot about til it assailed my olfactory senses! Shame I can't compare pics, but said pan now soaking in Fairy Liquid in hope it will do a DIY cleaning job. Some hope!! Still, thanks for the warning - that's one recipe I shall never give a work out to.....

Look on the bright side - with a bit of a shake that tin foil will look as good as new :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one :D My mum always says you can tell when something's done by the way it smells. I am always successful using this trick. As soon as I smell burning I check the oven and indeedy my dinner is cremated. :cool:

Still, saves on the ol' calories I s'pose... :rolleyes:

I haven't tried the hummus but I will, just have pesky kids home from school. My oven is fan assisted, I cooked then on about 120. I think Honey(another miniminner) cooked hers for 5 hours.

I think my oven is slowed love one that cooks quickly like yours lol.

:eek: Oh dear Ermintrude LOL I still fancy trying to make them after seeing the ones Cake made on her diary. They looked amazing!

I know! :( It does make me wonder if my oven has One Temperature Only as everything it does it frazzles... I always have to take it out early... but to totally cremate something after this time on the lowest setting :confused:

It must have a wonky temp control?!?! Must drive you mad? Xxxx

Speaking from experience - top tip for burnt pans that are beyond fairy is Biotex or other bio washing powder.

Sprinkle on pan, add enough water to make thick slush and leave overnight.

Comes off easy after that.

Bicarbonate of Soda is good at getting off burnt on stuff too, swear by the stuff

My mum puts some washing powder in burnt pans, add water and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few minutes and then wash up. Should get the burnt stuff off. Now I'm going to hunt for the pic of non-cremated tomatos :D

I gave this a go today and am enjoying the results. Sorry Ermintrude, it looks like your cooker is the villain rather than the SW mag :( x

I used 13 ping pong ball sized tomatoes (Aldi super 6). Covered in 1.5 tbsp of coarse sea salt. Left cut side down on kitchen roll for 2 hours. Lots liquid was drawn out. Wiped off the excess salt crystals and cooked on low for 3 hours.

They are quite chewy and moreish. A bit salty, but not unpleasantly so. Saying that, I would either use less salt or rinse them next time. If I don't wolf them all in the next 10 minutes, I will be using them to make tomato, basil and feta Pagen kripsroll crostini :D

Attachments

• DSCF3613.jpg
    DSCF3613.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 115
Ahhhhh *jealous* :jelous: *I* want fancy tomatoes! :( :p

You can all come round to my place and do the cooking! (bring your own oven :D )

Oh dear Ermintrude, what a shame!! Yeah I think it's definitely the oven on the fritz! I cooked mine for 5 hours on 110C, only used a sprinkle of salt, I added a sprinkle of sugar as well for a bit of sweetness. It turned out really nice! Pics in my food diary, pg 39.

Oh dear Ermintrude, what a shame!! Yeah I think it's definitely the oven on the fritz! I cooked mine for 5 hours on 110C, only used a sprinkle of salt, I added a sprinkle of sugar as well for a bit of sweetness. It turned out really nice! Pics in my food diary, pg 39.

5 hours! *faints* :eek:

My oven barbecues things in 5 mins :cry:

Hi Ermintrude. I've had an idea...

Nigella does a thing called "Moonblush Tomatoes". Similar to the sunblush, except she puts them in a hot oven then turns it off immediately and leaves the tommies in the cooling oven over night. Perhaps your oven would cope with that (assuming it doesn't also burn stuff when it's turned off lol)

MOONBLUSH TOMATOES | Recipes | Nigella Lawson: Nigella Lawson's official site for recipes, books and latest news

Oh wow, that's a great idea! :) I do often turn the oven off for the last bit of cooking so I dont know why I havent thought of that before, God I'm dim! :eek: :D Ah thanks so much for the link! Might have another go now! :)

Back