ww vs other diets

phill1978

wants to get slim
hi everyone as you may all know i have only done the ww diet plan i was wondering what it was like compared to other diets, and if you found ww harder that another diets you had done in the past, thanks phill :)

I think different diets work for different people. I used to do SW and I did it for about 6 months but only lost 13lbs, and that was in the first 7 weeks or something. I am far too greedy and being veggie meant I could eat all the pasta, rice, potato, beans, quorn products and eggs as I pleased. So I learned nothing about portion control. I literally began to put on weight again once I was eating more calories than I was burning.

That was the only one I ever tried before trying WW, and I wouldn't go back to anything else after this. I can still eat all those things, but I have to limit it. It gives just enough rope than is needed to hang yourself. ;-)

I tried SW before too but like Lorny it didn't teach me about portion control and so I lost very little

I love WW because I can eat what I want as long as its pointed but it teaches you to eat filling foods and also portion control - definately a winner in my book! :)

The only other "diet" Ive tried is eating healthily (salads and boring stuff) which I didnt stick to.lasted about 3 days. Speaking to Lorny on another forum gave me the kickstart I needed and started weight watchers. thanks for your brill advice Lorny - wish i could help you out the same too, star!

I've lost count of the many 'diets' I have tried in the past - meal replacements left me too hungry and I binged more. Atkins - gave me chronic heartburn. I did well with sw but didnt learn portion control.

I have tried healthy eating on my own but am finding ww the best for me. I found the weighing and tracking a bit of a pain in the beginning but it is teaching me to make better choices and to control my portions and is doing the job.

I think the trick to this weight loss malarky is to find what suits you as one size does not fit all.

Speaking to Lorny on another forum gave me the kickstart I needed and started weight watchers. thanks for your brill advice Lorny - wish i could help you out the same too, star!

Ah thank you! I know you are going to be a big help to me, you've already got me on a big motivation to stick to plan for two days!

Ah thank you! I know you are going to be a big help to me, you've already got me on a big motivation to stick to plan for two days!

Yay good Im glad. Youve got my number if theres a penguin emergency and theres plenty of lovely folks on here to jolly you along. You'll stick to it! Bet you'll look AMAZING at goal - love your style on the hair forum. Im gonna buy so many clothes when Im at 9 stone I'll break the bank!

Last edited:
thank you all for you posts , until i joined minimins i had only ever heard of ww, sw, and slim fast, so to see all the other diet made my head hurt( dont take much) im happy on ww and will stay on it till the jobs done( goal then maintain) thank you all for sharing you experiences of past diets i have often wondered was i on the right diet, now i know i am thank you :):):)

I did low cal diet back in 2001, lost 1 1/2 stone then fell pg! I was tiny back then too lol

After my ds I did Slim fast, worked great, lost all the baby weight, then went back to stuffing my face:eek:

Having dd (now 6) I then followed Sw, lost around 11lb but felt really restricted around the family, I loved red days, and would eat a whole pack of ham because I could lol! Then hubby worked away for 2 years:rolleyes:

Joined MM back in Dec 08, started on CD, was the hardest yet easiest diet in the world to me, but I hated the not eating, when I started to eat again I ate big time

Sigh:rolleyes: So here I am again, 11 weeks into WW. BUT I honestly feel for the first time I am in control, because I can eat ANYTHING as long as I count the point IYSWIM. I can plan meals around the whole family, and I am enjoying food again rather than having huge plates full of food, I am thinking about my husband and kids, what good would a big plate of creamy pasta do them? So now we make our own sauce, and have a large salad:)

Sorry I have gone off on one lol Even when I got married I was 9st2lb, and felt fat as my sisters were both 7st:( I guess it has always been there lol! NOw look at me, trying to claw into the 11st's

Sorry but hey feeling pants tonight:eek: I even know each weight I got to too!

I did low cal diet back in 2001, lost 1 1/2 stone then fell pg! I was tiny back then too lol

After my ds I did Slim fast, worked great, lost all the baby weight, then went back to stuffing my face:eek:

Having dd (now 6) I then followed Sw, lost around 11lb but felt really restricted around the family, I loved red days, and would eat a whole pack of ham because I could lol! Then hubby worked away for 2 years:rolleyes:

Joined MM back in Dec 08, started on CD, was the hardest yet easiest diet in the world to me, but I hated the not eating, when I started to eat again I ate big time

Sigh:rolleyes: So here I am again, 11 weeks into WW. BUT I honestly feel for the first time I am in control, because I can eat ANYTHING as long as I count the point IYSWIM. I can plan meals around the whole family, and I am enjoying food again rather than having huge plates full of food, I am thinking about my husband and kids, what good would a big plate of creamy pasta do them? So now we make our own sauce, and have a large salad:)

Sorry I have gone off on one lol Even when I got married I was 9st2lb, and felt fat as my sisters were both 7st:( I guess it has always been there lol! NOw look at me, trying to claw into the 11st's

Sorry but hey feeling pants tonight:eek: I even know each weight I got to too!

sorry your down at the min ( try and cheer you up) right 1st you have lost over 30 pound, 2 your always great with advice , 3 you have a cool chimp avatar lol hope you feel better soon thanks for your post xxxxx :):):):)

I am a relative newcomer to ww having avoided it for so long as I thought it was about eating tiny portions of rabbit food - my only other experience of it was my sister doing it when I was young and she seemed to live on 3 mars bars a day and little else!!!! - I have no idea how that worked for her!! LoL!
Anyway I digress....I lost over 7 stones on Atkins in 2003 my first ever diet...pretty impressive although I do remember fasting for up to a week at a time when my weight loss stalled. Taught me nothing about eating normally as I lived on as close to zero carbs as I could get, and put it all back on over the next 12 months. I have also done Lipotrim and the Cambridge Diet, which worked for as long as I could stick to it ( 3 weeks max) Idiot proof diet, slim fast, cabbage soup, eat fat get thin, GI, GL and Slimming World - which saw me pigging out on whole packets of pasta or 2 platefuls of sw 'chips' mushy peas etc etc each evening( well they did say as much as I liked?!?!?) I was actually surprised I wasnt losing weight.....
So here I am on WW, I am taking the slow and steady route and amazed myself the other day when someone bought my favourite Krispy Kreme doughnuts in to work and I really really wanted one...so I jumped onto e source, worked out the points and worked it into my day, no binging 'cos I had broken my diet' necessary and still had a loss that week. I feel Im learning about how to eat sensibly without any silly restrictions and its starting to become second nature.....Its WW all the way for me now!!!!

I am a relative newcomer to ww having avoided it for so long as I thought it was about eating tiny portions of rabbit food - my only other experience of it was my sister doing it when I was young and she seemed to live on 3 mars bars a day and little else!!!! - I have no idea how that worked for her!! LoL!
Anyway I digress....I lost over 7 stones on Atkins in 2003 my first ever diet...pretty impressive although I do remember fasting for up to a week at a time when my weight loss stalled. Taught me nothing about eating normally as I lived on as close to zero carbs as I could get, and put it all back on over the next 12 months. I have also done Lipotrim and the Cambridge Diet, which worked for as long as I could stick to it ( 3 weeks max) Idiot proof diet, slim fast, cabbage soup, eat fat get thin, GI, GL and Slimming World - which saw me pigging out on whole packets of pasta or 2 platefuls of sw 'chips' mushy peas etc etc each evening( well they did say as much as I liked?!?!?) I was actually surprised I wasnt losing weight.....
So here I am on WW, I am taking the slow and steady route and amazed myself the other day when someone bought my favourite Krispy Kreme doughnuts in to work and I really really wanted one...so I jumped onto e source, worked out the points and worked it into my day, no binging 'cos I had broken my diet' necessary and still had a loss that week. I feel Im learning about how to eat sensibly without any silly restrictions and its starting to become second nature.....Its WW all the way for me now!!!!

you have done the lot lol, i thought ww was all about rabbit food to lol im glad i chose ww seems to be the best

I have done ww only for alot of years and for me personallly i find it almost impossible to have self control on it and eat healhty food, i abused it and binged and just ate rubbish and 0 point meals.
MY weigh losws stopped and im trying SW, my first 2 weeks i had tiny gains (a pound in total) but my diet is soo much better, so now i am combineing the to together and hoping i have found whats going to work for me.

Well, I lost 32 lbs on the Cambridge Diet - but it was too restrictive long term. It's great for a kickstart though I think.

I also lost 18lbs by basically cutting down on portion size, eating more fruit and veg and exercising, but as I was doing it myself I got bored and also it was very slow weightloss so I lost faith! That's when I switched to CD. I'd happy with 2 lbs a week now though.

What else? Oh yeah, I did SW a few years ago (when I had far less weight to lose) and I really couldn't get to grips with it. I think partly cos my head was in the wrong place and partly because I basically binged on carbs. Not good.

I think everyone will find their diet mojo somewhere! For me, it looks like ww could be the one. Ask me in a few months time though!

Have good days everyone!

K x

I've tried the Special K diet, Slim Fast, SW and WW.

special K and slim Fast i gave up. Im sorry but its starvation!!! I like food!

SW - as whats been repeated so many times, i lost 7lb in the first few weeks then nothing. I just ate all the pasta i wanted without learning anything else!

WW - have put my heart into it this time and im doing well. I still have alot of weak moments when i troff but i can usually outweigh those by being good the rest of the time. Im more focussed on portions and choosing alternatives :D

That is the problem with these quick fix diets. Of course you'll lose weight if you eat two meals which consist of 30g of food, and of course you'll lose if your diet includes two liquid meals a day.

I did try Slim Fast but it only lasted all of a few days. These days I might still have a milkshake if I am off out early but don't feel hungry. They are 3.5 points for a shake so it fits in and I'd rather have some energy and the nutrients than go without.

Diet are like cars really some people like WW some like SW, some like TMR. Just as some people like Fords, BMW and Minis.

But getting to goal is deffo a maserati! :D

I have done ww only for alot of years and for me personallly i find it almost impossible to have self control on it and eat healhty food, i abused it and binged and just ate rubbish and 0 point meals.
MY weigh losws stopped and im trying SW, my first 2 weeks i had tiny gains (a pound in total) but my diet is soo much better, so now i am combineing the to together and hoping i have found whats going to work for me.

sound good please let me know how you get on ,sound like your doing a new diet might have to give you your own forum lol :)

Back