Xena's Fresh Start

xena

Hello there (if anyone's reading!)

I've decided to start a diary of my quest for health and fitness (again)

I am a member of Slimming World but have been getting pretty fed up of it lately. I keep losing and gaining the same 2 pounds. I know it works but I just need a bit of a boost and came across the concept of the GI/GL plan and thought it sounded up my alley. I do well on low carb diets but I need one which includes lots of vegs and some carbs too and this seems like a good plan to me. I did Rick Gallop's Low Gi plan years ago and the food was really yummy and healthy.

I've had a bit of a crappy year and before it's over I want to really make a difference to the way I feel. I find winters hard with the darkness and every year I find myself slipping into a kind of depression. After a bad breakup I have just let myself plod along with life for 6 months, not seizing the day or making the most out of opportunities.

However it's time to start thinking positively again and do this for myself - I start a new job in 4 weeks and I want to be feeling confident about myself by then :) I'm stopping the pity party and going after what I want! Getting my mojo back if you will. I deserve to be happy ;)

Not quitting SW as of yet. I will see if this GL thing works out for me first and the weekly weigh ins are good motivation to keep on the straight and narrow.

I will take weight tomorrow and go and buy a couple of books to tell me what to do - there doesn't seem to be that much help on t'internet!

Exercise-wise I am allergic to the gym but I have some great fitness DVDs including Zumba, Turbofire and Kettlercise which I intend to use on a regular basis!

I have all the tools I need to succeed. I just need to get on and do it!

Good luck :). I follow primal/ paleo way of eating etc .. But did drift that way via the south beach plan which is a low GI plan.

I do kettlercise classes run by an independent trainer in my area - it's much better than the DVDs - which I have as well lol but my OH Hoggs the TV in the evening .. Football !! Eek! I also just joined curves gym, circuit training - looking forward to starting next week :)

Ooh good to find someone doing similar :) not sure I could go full primal yet but more power to you! There are kettlebell classes near me that I might start going to when i get more confident as I'm sure it would push me more. It's also a bit boring watching the same DVD over and over so sometimes I get my interval timer on my phone and just do the moves.

I know what you mean about the telly, my brother's bought the new GTA game so I've got no hope!

Good luck with curves! Is it a ladies only thing?

Yes curves is ladies only and have resistance hydraulic machines in a circuit. The one near me is small and seems ok - looking forward to starting next week :) In the past when I went to the gym I mainly used the weight machines and sometimes the cardio machines - so I'm hoping in conjunction with kettlecise I will see some results :)

Haha it sounds like you are a woman with a plan!

Day 1 going well - bought the Low GL Diet Bible and the cookbook BOGOHP in Smiths and the recipes look rather scrummy! I don't get paid til Friday so can't go mad on the buying food lark but this is most definitely a good thing.

B- scrambled eggs, bacon medallions and tomatoes
L - tomato salsa soup with seeded pitta bread
S - macadamia nuts and frozen berries (yum yum)
D - will either be chicken or prawns and brown rice with stir fry veggies or cinnamon porridge with berries and seeds depending whether my chicken defrosts in time....

Enjoying it so far! Still not figured it all out yet but i've got plenty of reading material to be getting on with...

3 days done and feeling so much better already! I usually live off caffiene (fat burners/coffee/pro plus) but ive not had any today, and still feeling alert and more clear-headed.
Am down 1.6 pounds from Saturday, less bloated and enjoying the food. Hurrah!
I'm especially enjoying having proper porridge :) i hope this works out for me cos it's just the sort of food I like to eat and may hopefully prevent me from getting diabetes which both my parents have got...

Hey Xena,

Are you still doing a GI diet?

Ohhhh reading this is making me feel extra motivated! Especially about you saying about your energy levels xena - I am also constantly consuming a lot of caffeine .

I have recently bought myself the South Beach Diet Supercharged book and finding it really interesting reading and I plan to start the diet on Monday (waiting for pay day so I can do some good food shopping!) I also fear I may get diabetes and I'm really hoping this will make a big difference.

How are you getting on with it now?

Hello, sorry I've not been on here for ages I didn't expect anyone to reply! But thanks for doing so! I've not been especially good lately with holiday and birthday temptations but I have definitely got into better habits lately and have managed to maintain my weight. Trying to lose a few more pounds but not going to beat myself up about it over Christmas, as long as I maintain I won't mind!
Saw a copy of the abs diet book in oxfam, I might get it for a bit of extra reading as it's based around similar principles and might give me a few more ideas for meals. I always struggle knowing what to have for lunch at work...
To make matters worse work have started putting baskets of free chocolates on everyone's desk, there's no getting away from temptation!
How is everyone else getting on? X

Back