xenical for veggie diet

paula m

hi all im so glad i found this forum,can i just ask is anybody on here a vegerterian like myself who is stuggling with meal plans,i have to admit i have awfull eating habits and live mostly on high carb meals like,bread potatoes,pasta and cheese:sigh: which is why im so over weight!,ive managed to get a months supply of xencial my docter wouldnt give me them even tho im at least 6 stones overweight!so a friend gave me them,also im panicing about the amount of coffee+tea with milk and 1 suger i drink i really dont think i could go a day in work without 4 cups its the only fluid apart from alcohol i like lol,so if i was to have 4 cups ov tea a day with 1 sugar and milk am i likley to have an accident(you know what i mean) in work im starting to panic a bit lol,i know i have to cut down on cheese but really i dont know an alternative to this does anybody else,thanks for listening to me..im starting xenical monday morning!
paula x

Hi Paula,welcome to the forum, I can't understand your doctor not giving them to you because your overweight - isn't that the whole point of the tablets!? Perhaps you may have other issues as to why the doctor wouldn't prescribe them?

Is it a good idea to be taking tablets that have been prescribed for someone else? Do you know how long your friend has had these tablets?

As for ideas, I would really try and ditch the sugar and perhaps change this for sweetener, and change to skimmed milk, you would need to up your liquid intake, not just because of the tablets, but "the powers that be" say we're supposed to drink a few litres of water or non-alcohol liquid a day to keep our bodies working properly.

Food wise, what about veggie products, are they within the xenical range? Bread, potatoes, pasta are all fine on xenical, just watch your portion sizes, but yes, like you say, you'd have to cut down on the cheese, especially if its full fat as you would experience a nasty reaction.

To be honest though, I'd go back to the doctors and ask again to try the tablets, rather than take your friends, I know the actual medication is the same, but it would scare me to take tablets without a doctors permission!

hi thanks for your reply passiflora,i know its not a very good idea to take medication that isnt prescribed for myself im just getting desperate,i went to see my doctor 6 months ago to help me with my weight loss but she said then i wasnt big enough which is rubbish at that time i weighed over 14 stone!! im now nearly 17 stone and still she wasnt interested just said well exercise more and eat less she isnt sympathetic at all :( i have no health problems at all so really dont know what her problem is with me so i gave up! ireally need to give my diet some thought properly ive been a veggie now for 9 years but do admit i hate vegtables so dont eat many and bascilly live on carbs which is why i have a problem with my weight,i never had a weight problem when i ate meat but thats just something i couldnt do now :(,im going to have another look through this forum and try some meal plans i really hope this works im becomeing more miserable by the day,and yes thanks deffo gonna try sweetner instaed ov sugar at least its a start :) xx

Can you see another doctor in the practice who could be more sympathetic? Some people on this form are less than 14 stone and are on the tablets, so I don't know what your doctor is thinking! Some doctors and people in the "health trade" don't like xenical, but I'm thinking they work so why not!! They say because you lose weight because of the side effects, your not changing the way you view food and how you live your life, but the side effects are whats keeping me on the straight and narrow!!

if your not keen on veg, try blending them into a soup, very filling, very nice and healthy too!

"Eat less, move more" if only it was as easy to do as it is to say!!

A lot of the Quorn products are in the limit.. :)

Welcome Paula...as a veggie do you still eat fish as some people do ??

The quorn mince and chicken are within the rules, i use them even though i am not a vegetarian!! And the quorn sausage and burgers are ok too. Do you like salad? i eat a lot of salad as i dont like much veg either, only carrots and green beans!!

RE your doctor, try somewhere else i think he/she is being very unreasonable, they are there to help us thats there job!! Good luck with the tablets and let us know how things go!!

The quorn mince and chicken are within the rules, i use them even though i am not a vegetarian!! And the quorn sausage and burgers are ok too. Do you like salad? i eat a lot of salad as i dont like much veg either, only carrots and green beans!!

RE your doctor, try somewhere else i think he/she is being very unreasonable, they are there to help us thats there job!! Good luck with the tablets and let us know how things go!!

hi thanks for you reply,i dont really like most quorn food but i have tried the quorn mince in a homemade shepherds pie and it wasnt too bad :),and yes i really should try a differant doctor she has def got a problem giving me the tablets i so desperatly need,i only have a months supply so will have to give it another try with somebody different in the nxt couple ov weeks! when it comes to salad i like lettuce,cucumber,beetroot so im sure i could try and fill up on them:),thanks again x

No problem, anytime!! I hope your first month goes ok with them and good luck with finding a better doctor who is more willing to help you!! I am surprised how many doctors wont prescribe these when its obvious how much they help, you should show her this forum and some of the success stories!!

The Dr I saw before the one I see now was a man and he was horrible. He started talking to me like I was stupid when I asked him about weight loss options which really made me angry because it's hard//embarassing enough to go in there in the first place and hope they don't laugh at you or something..and then he went and fullfilled my "worst senerio" thoughts...but anyways..took me ages to go ask another Dr about things and she perscribed without hesitation..Good luck love..Deffinately just try and schedule an appt. with another one at the practice.

The Dr I saw before the one I see now was a man and he was horrible. He started talking to me like I was stupid when I asked him about weight loss options which really made me angry because it's hard//embarassing enough to go in there in the first place and hope they don't laugh at you or something..and then he went and fullfilled my "worst senerio" thoughts...but anyways..took me ages to go ask another Dr about things and she perscribed without hesitation..Good luck love..Deffinately just try and schedule an appt. with another one at the practice.

thank you for your lovely reply,im going to start xenical monday morning then phone up for another appiontment during my lunch hour at work,and fingers crossed like you said hopefully i should see a doctor who understands and will give me some help/support instead ov lectures about healthy lifestyle etc
thanks again and will let you all know what the docs say:)
paula x

Hope it works out for you love. Some Dr's can be soo inconsiderate..The practice I go to has a special weight loss section of it..So it surprised me when he didn't refer me to them or at least act bothered..but yeah..Good luck! :)

good luck with the xenical and with getting a different dr. i think a lot of practices have at least one pain in the bum dr. a lot of the drs where i go just tend to pass you on the nurses in the weight loss clinic and all they tend to do is lecture and nag and if you go into your weigh in and only lose 1lb or stay the same they really go for the kill then and its not lectures or nagging we need its encouragement. keep preserving and show them that you are determined.

i, like you, dont like a lot of vegetables but i am going to try blitzing in a soup to try and make them taste a bit more palatable lol

Goodluck with your Dr ...the Dr i saw was horrid and it took 45 minutes of him accusing me of sitting on my butt eating all day.....when i said i barely ate he disbelieved me and asked my partner if i was lying.....I wish people would understand that i don't just sit infront of a tv and eat tonnes of rubbish...
I got the Xenical from him but will see another Dr in the practice in future as I found that one inconsiderate, rude and very accusing...grrrrrrrrrr

Soup is a great way to get veg in to you,thats what i do, not often enough but i do try!! Where in cheshire are you Paula?

hi thanks for your reply,ive just found a recipe for making vegtable soup for fussy childen to eat ,its blended so hopefully i cant see what im eating and shouldnt taste too bad:eek:, its a shame i cant have a loaf ov crusy bread to go with it tho lol!
i live in weaverham in cheshire but originally from liverpool:)
paula x

Goodluck with your Dr ...the Dr i saw was horrid and it took 45 minutes of him accusing me of sitting on my butt eating all day.....when i said i barely ate he disbelieved me and asked my partner if i was lying.....I wish people would understand that i don't just sit infront of a tv and eat tonnes of rubbish...
I got the Xenical from him but will see another Dr in the practice in future as I found that one inconsiderate, rude and very accusing...grrrrrrrrrr

thats awfull he sounds worse than mine,im glad you got it sorted tho!!:D
the lady doctor who is giving me trouble i found out yesterday is only a student training doc but she had an anwser for everything i said !!and it didnt help that im sure she has a weight issues she was extreamly skinny and gaunt looking but was also a veggie like me but didnt eat my fave foods like bread,potatoes,nuts,cheese,pizza,pasta etc,she wanted me to eat veg,fruit and seeds,tofu :/!!:eek:,anyways im all sorted for starting 2moro morning and eating breakfast is gonna be a first for me!
thanks for all your support and everybody else who has responded to my questions
paula x

hi thanks for your reply,ive just found a recipe for making vegtable soup for fussy childen to eat ,its blended so hopefully i cant see what im eating and shouldnt taste too bad:eek:, its a shame i cant have a loaf ov crusy bread to go with it tho lol!
i live in weaverham in cheshire but originally from liverpool:)
paula x

Thats the only way i will normally eat it but today i tried it with out blending it, wasnt too bad, but definitely prefer to blend it!! I know what you mean about the bread, i love bread with me soup, but i gave it up!!

I am from winsford in cheshire, do you know it? Not too far from you. Living in ireland at the moment though!! Hope your having a good day. xx

Paula you answered your own the question...of why you weren't given Xenical ....the DR was skinny....
my DR is a keep fit fanatic ...but what he failed to tell me was his Daughter is twice my size !!

They say a lot of our problems are phsicological but as skinny people they have a problem with bigger people........

Enjoy your breakfast tomorrow ...I had 40g cereal and 2 buttermilk pancakes with a squirt of maple syrup....all in the alli book mmmmm xx

Back