yellow split lentils

soccermom

I AM A WEMITT x
Not sure if this is the right place to put this. I'm sorry if it counts as a recipe.

Can anyone tell me if these are the same as yellow split peas. The lady in the punjab food store said they are, but further investigation suggests they are not.

I'm wanting to make something from the sw mag and it asks for yellow split lentils to make a dahl and I have yellow split peas, will they cook the same or should I use something else.

I have been to Sainsburys and morrisons and they only sell the peas also.

Both Tesco and Asda are not showing them either on their website.

Any help would be great thanks.

Hi,

They're pretty much the same (difference is the size of the bean before splitting and drying) can be used interchangeably. They will work lovely in a Dahl.

Toni.

Thanks so much for that., I will make it later let it rest and have it for my tea tomorrow.

I really appreciate it thank you :D

soccermom said:
Thanks so much for that I will make it later let it rest and have it for my tea tomorrow.

I really appreciate it thank you :D

Your welcome.

It's always nice when my store of useless information comes in handy, other than for pub quizzes and trivial pursuit of course. ;)

Yellow split peas should really be soaked first (preferably overnight if possible) before cooking with them if they are the dried variety. Lentils you can just chuck into a recipe as they are, but dried beans and peas can release toxins if not prepared correctly.

I suffered the same confusion and have an unopened bag of split yellow peas in my cupboard :) Maybe I'll dig them out now... :p

Yellow split peas should really be soaked first (preferably overnight if possible) before cooking with them if they are the dried variety. Lentils you can just chuck into a recipe as they are, but dried beans and peas can release toxins if not prepared correctly.

will do that now, thank you. I'm guessing you just soak them in cold water is that right :eek:.

I actually just read the packet, should have done that first I don't know why I didn't :eek: it does say to pre soak for at least 5 hours and change the water a few times.

So thank you again x

Back