Yogurts that are NOT fat free

mandy296

Silver Member
Just checking, and I think I know the answer, but if you are trying to calculate the syn value of a NON fat free yoghurt, I take it there is no free food allowance and the 1 syn = 20 calories rule apply.

If thats the case I have just eaten a 12 syn yoghurt but it was free and very nice!

Trying not to have to buy groceries for home before Glastonbury - and by eating the Yoo Yummy Thing yoghurt left in the fridge at work by someone thats out of date so fair game, it means I still have 2 muller lights left which will last me the final 2 days I have in work next week before the big G!!

No, if a yogurt isn't free its still less calories than 1/20, for instance sausages on a red/ee day have a syn value lower than on green

A sausage has less syns than the 1 syn = 20 calories rule, because the meat content (on red/EE) is included as a free food, so you would take that into account when using the syns calculator.

What I'm saying is that when you use the calculator for a yoghurt, should you be entering any part of the dairy as a free food which would reduce the syns. And based on some other threads I've seen on here, I do think that with a yoghurt that isnt marked as "Fat free" then you shouldnt.

I've already done a search -there have been lots of threads about the "yoo light thing" yoghurts - which are FAT free, but not sugar free - so these do have some syns - but you would enter the fat free yoghurt as a free food on the syns calculator - I think they come out at about 2.5 syns.

But the yoghurt I had was "yoo yummy thing" the pack said "creamy" yoghurt (not fat free) and it came with milk and white chocolate puffed rice.

So it ended up pretty high syn. But still free (as in it cost me no money, not syn free!)

Pretty sure you can put yoghurt into the syns calculator as a free food!

Yes, but only *fat free* yoghurt. For example, if you can't eat full-fat or low-fat yoghurt as free on its own (which you can't) there is no logical reason why you would be allowed to use it as a free food in calculating syns.

From the database:
Yogurt, soya, natural, 100g 1½
Yogurt, low fat natural, 100g ½
Yogurt, fat free natural, 100g Free
Yogurt, organic, natural, 100g ½
Yogurt, dairy free, fruit, 100g 2
Yogurt, whole milk, fruit, 100g 3½
Yogurt, dairy free, natural, 100g 2
Yogurt, whole milk, natural, 100g 2½
Yogurt, goats' milk, natural, 100g 2
Yogurt, greek style, natural, 100g 3½
Yogurt, greek style, with honey, 100g 5
Yogurt, low fat fruit/flavoured, 100g 2
Yogurt, drinking yogurt, low fat, 100ml 3½
Yogurt, fat free fruit/flavoured, 100g ½
Yogurt, drinking yogurt, fat free, 100ml 2
Yogurt, greek, cows' milk, natural, 100g 2½
Yogurt, goats' milk, fruit/flavoured, 100g 3
Yogurt, greek style, fruit/flavoured, 100g 3½
Yogurt, greek style, low fat natural, 100g 1
Yogurt, greek, sheep's milk, natural, 100g 1½
Yogurt, greek style, fat free natural, 100g Free
Yogurt, whole milk, children's, fruit, 100g 3½

As you can see, the ONLY yogurts that are free are fat-free yogurts, so the only yogurt you can calculate as containing a free food is a fat-free one.

I agree SW should explicitly state this on the calculator.

but its the fat that isn't free not the yoghurt- bit like adding oil to food you'd syn the oil but not the rest?

but its the fat that isn't free not the yoghurt- bit like adding oil to food you'd syn the oil but not the rest?

Yes but that is already accounted for in the syns given to the yoghurt. So if you eat a low fat yoghurt that is, say, 2 syns per 100g - that ALREADY accounts for the amount of "free" that is in the yoghurt - the 2 syns is the fat/sugar that is NOT free in that yoghurt.

Obviously cooking using a low fat yogurt is going to be *less* syns than using a full fat yogurt - but it is still not a free food. (Like cooking with extra lean mince is free, cooking with lean mince is not - but lean mince is still much better than full fat mince, so low fat yogurt is much better than full fat yogurt - but it is still not free.)

This is easy to account for when you're cooking something from scratch, you just add up the syns of each ingredient you put in. But when you're just inoutting data off the back of a packet the calculator *can't know* whether the yoghurt is low fat or full fat - they can't really incorporate this into it - so you should really play it safe and not count it as a free food. (You can count it as free if you want - but your calculated syn value will be less than its real syn value.)

The calculator really is just a guide anyway, and as long as you dont rely on it for everything you'll be fine.

Using the original question as an example: can you input yoghurt as a free food when using the syn calculator to calculate the syn value of yoghurts that are not fat free.

Activia Intensely Creamy Strawberry yoghurt - this is not fat free (the ingredients include whole milk and cream) and has 118 calories per pot.

If I go by the 1 syn = 20 calories rule this has 6 syns

If I input it into the syn calc with no free food allowance this has 6 syns

If I input it into the syn calc with a free food allowance for yoghurt this has 2 1/2 syns

And as the final say, if I look it up in Syns Online, it has... 2 1/2 syns. This indicates to me that, in answer to the original question, you can input yoghurt as a free food when calculating syns for non-fat-free yoghurts.

thats why I gave my answer as above-its what my con told us.
I know the whole thing isn't free but my con said it still has an allowance as its the fat that is extra not the yogurt.

thats why I gave my answer as above-its what my con told us.
I know the whole thing isn't free but my con said it still has an allowance as its the fat that is extra not the yogurt.

That was my logic too; nice to see that the numbers confirm it! :)

(I hope my previous post didn't come off as 'so there!' was in a bit of a rush to click send as the cat was sicking up everywhere :jelous:)

No worries, the SW thing doesn't make it very clear and I prefer to play it safe if I don't know for sure :)

Your right to do that! But its the same as the logic you used when answering the question about the sausages.If we don't have different views we'd all be boring and I'd never learn anyrhing!

thanks for the info

unfortunately where I now live we can't get muller - light or light
anything
so for health a full fat natural yoghurt is my best choice even though I have to syn it

Back