You can buy what???

hazysummer

Since starting SW I'm looking at all shelves in the supermarkets here to see if I can find SW friendly foods etc

I was shocked / bemused / frankly terrified when I saw that I can buy a tin of brussel sprouts :jelous: if I should ever feel the need.

Has anyone else noticed / found any foodstuffs you didn't know / couldn't have imagined existed??

No, I'm a bit shocked too tbh. I think frozen ones are bad enough, tinned, just can't imagine!

Frozen mash?

Not tried it but what's it all about? How hard is it to peel, boil and mash some spuds??

Sent from Laura's iPhone using MiniMins

I didn't know you could buy tins of lentils!! Tineed Brussels sound vile though!! I don't like them at the best of times!! xxx

ooh I LOVE LOVE LOVE nobbie greens (brussels) but out here you can get them in jars :sign0137: -then again the bottle everything, shredded dark green cabbage anyone??? :p

I do love tinned lentils and beans though and you get such a great variety.....

Lol does he eat it? Have u tried it?? X

Lol, no.. we only have home-made mash.. I think he'd rather go without than have it from a can/smash etc. He just can't make it! He can't make a lot of things.. I might need to teach him how to cook! Lol!

Some things in tins are great - beans (not baked beans - yuk!) and chick peas and lentils are a great time-saver (although I have to admit they are much nicer cooked from scratch, which I do if there is time).

And obviously tinned tuna and other fish, and sweetcorn. And M&S tinned steak which is lovely.

Other tinned vegetables I wouldn't bother with - oh, except tinned artichokes, which I do find very useful. Tinned brussels sprouts I just cannot imagine!!

Tinned fruit is OK, but I rarely bother with it as it is not so nice as fresh (and not free, anyway).

Frozen mash?

Not tried it but what's it all about? How hard is it to peel, boil and mash some spuds??

I remember going to a friends house and eating the nicest mash i have ever had .l when I asked what was in it .. turned out it was frozen !!!! It is amazing , its not dehydrated like smash , its just normal mash shaped into little patties and frozen , so nothing nasty in it , and it really does taste amazing !! we normally have sweet potato mash so do it fresh , but I do keep some frozen in my freezer as its ready in 3 mins so a useful thing to have for emergencies !!!!

I too can vouch for frozen mash, as can Delia Smith! It tastes nothing like Smash, and is really handy when you are in a rush, as a couple of mins in the microwave and it's done.

Some things in tins are great - beans (not baked beans - yuk!) and chick peas and lentils are a great time-saver (although I have to admit they are much nicer cooked from scratch, which I do if there is time).

Where do you get your baked beans if not in tins? (Asks the clueless American)

Frozen mash?

Frozen mash is great and a boon if you are single - sometimes I don't want to go to the trouble of boiling and mashing potatoes for one person. You just need to get over the surprise that it looks like frozen tampons :D

But what about omelette in a tin - I saw that on the shelf recently!! :rolleyes:

Frozen miceowave ham & cheese sandwich in awalmart in Waahington DC. But weirdly no o bread, cheese or ham in the chilled aisle. All very wrong but it explains the obesity epidemic fhere!

OK tinned omelette is even weirder than tinned sprouts - how hard is it to make an omelette for goodness sake??

Must admit bought tinned sprouts once eeeyuck!!! Chucked them straight in the bin. It said on the tin best seller in France cant think thats true. Ive had frozen mas and its really good.

No way would I try tinned omelette.

Back