Puddings 1/2 sin lemon fairy cakes

HollyM

I have amended the low-fat sponge cake a little to make lemon fairy cakes - they work out as 1/2 a sin each and are lovely.

Lemon Fairy Cakes (½ sin each)

6 eggs
2 ounces self raising flour (9 sins)
9 tablespoons granulated sweetener
2 teaspoons lemon essence
Rind of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 lemon

Whisk up egg whites until stiff

In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks with either the lemon essence, lemon juice & sweetener, add a 1/4 of the egg white & beat until pale yellow.

Add the flour and lemon rinf gradually & fold into the mix carefully, when done add the rest of the egg whites & fold in.

Split between 18 muffin cases (in baking tins) & bake in the over on 180 for about 10 to 12 mins, until golden & firm to the touch.

Take out of the oven and leave to cool.

For topping:
½ tub quark
1 teaspoon of lemon essence
5 tablespoons granulated sweetener
Juice of 1 lemon

Beat the quark with the lemon essence, lemon juice & sweetener, when ready to serve top each cake with a spoon of the topping.

Going to try to make chocolate ones tommorrow by swapping 1/2 the flour for cocoa and the lemon essence for vanilla essence!

Ooh! These sound lovely! I'll be trying these! :D

look lovely

The chocolate ones were lovely - I also added a pot of quark to the recipe to make it moister and some chocolate chips. I took these to class last night and everyone went mad for them!

The chocolate ones were lovely - I also added a pot of quark to the recipe to make it moister and some chocolate chips. I took these to class last night and everyone went mad for them!

Holly - Can I ask something? When did you add the pot of quark to the recipe & did you take anything out to add the quark? I fancy making this again but can only follow a recipe I have been given I am not very good at adapting things!

Just Made these and they are fantastic! I am taking them to my taster night tomorrow! Thank you so much for posting the recipe!!

Where can I get lemon essence from? Had a look on tescos but cant see it :(
Is there an alternative? Could i maybe use jif lemon? New to all this cooking from scratch stuff !!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Found some lemon flavouring, And am going to try these later :) Hope they are as yummy as they sound :)

I didnt like them :( I think its thw sweetener, I can only stand it in coffee and tea in very small amounts. My hubby loved them! He was very impressed that he can have cakes on sw!

I am going to try these this week they sound great.
My girls are always making cup cakes and its really hard seeing them hanging around on the breakfast bar.
Have you got the recipe of the chocolate ones or have I just passed it?:D

These were yummy :)

Made them and took them in for taster night and they went so quick when I mentioned the syn value

Ive never browsed the recipe bit before...
1/2 a syn how fab!!! i will be making these for sure I think i will make some vanilla and coffee ones

bum flaps went to make them and cant find my cake cases

Back