1/3 superfree foods

NikkiD

Can I ask a questions, if I was to have a meal that did not contain the 1/3 superfree foods, such as curry or spag bol, would having fruit afterwards count or do I have to put more superfree foods into my cooking.

Thanks for any info

Hiya Nikki

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count and nor does putting veg into a sauce, apparently it has to be an actual portion of veg on your plate!

Apparently the idea is to control portion sizes, so strictly speaking the 1/3 superfree should be on the same plate, but I think common sense comes into it a bit too and as long as you're having plenty of fruit & veg throughout the day and not stuffing yourself silly with everything else, you won't go far wrong!!X

Hmmm I believe this is a little controversial!! Apparently the latest advice is that the third SF should be seaprated out on your plate so you have a nice little tidy pile of SF food covering literally a third of your plate. But lets face it, in reality thats not always practical! Really I believe its fine to have the veg within your meal, and maybe a side salad or extra veg on the side if you don't think theres enough in the meal. I am a little dubious with the bowl of fruit after - the whole point of eating the SF is so you eat less of the other food groups. So if you wait til after, you may eat too much other food, plus if you are full you would only be eating the fruit for the sake of it rather than through hunger, which is a little pointless. Dunno if that makes any sense hon, sorry lol.

That makes sense, thanks a lot. I have not been sticking to the 1/3 of plate of superfood this week, and I think I will not have a good lose this week (got on my scales this morning and it was not to good). Back on track today and eating the superfree food, at least 1/3 with each meal.

Everyone tweaks the plan slightly so if it's working for you then stick with it. I think SW set out the 1/3 rule so that it will work for everyone regardless. Some people can tweak some can't!

Maybe if you're having something that the superfree won't fit in to (like a curry - although you could chuck in onion, garlic and peppers so not bad), you could have a salad as a starter? Then have a small to medium portion of the curry as really you shouldn't be as hungry.

If you're still hungry after that, have some fruit.

The whole point of the superfree is portion control but having a side salad or fruit salad does count towards it. Maybe portion your main meal with a third of empty plate to help you control sizes, or use a dessert sized plate?

You are meant to have it separate on your plate, this is because you will then (technically) eat less calories than if you put it all in the food and covered the plate.

When EE first came out at the begginning of 2009 I did it without 1/3rd superfree and lost weight consistantly. When 1/3rd superfree became compulsory as of 2010 it was just as my losses were slowing and since I have done it my losses are back to what they were, despite now weighing less.

You will still lose without 1/3rd superfree, but you will lose more if you have 1/3rd superfree on your plate as I have definately noticed I now eat smaller portions to make room. I really get the concept now- it has really changed how I see my plate of food.

I know some people object to 'the rules' but SW only changed it to make the plan more effective- and it is!

If you look at the sample menus online at SW, they have it all chucked in the meal.

On the Extra Easy, day one's choice for evening meal is bolognese made with mince, onion, garlic, peppers, mushrooms and canned tomatos.

It doesn't say anything about having those superfree foods separately on the plate and there's no mention of having a side salad with it.

If it's good enough for SW, then it's good enough for me!

At the end of the day, it's using common sense when it comes to portion sizes. It won't kill anyone to serve up on a smaller plate or just have half the size of their normal portion. The food is free, so if you're still hungry afterwards (and I suggest waiting at least 20 minutes after your meal to give your brain chance to catch up with your stomach) then feel free to have more.

The point of SW is to eat until you're satisifed. That's how it works. If you're worried, then eat more fruit in the day or plan meals that can be portioned out like meat and veg.

When EE first came out at the begginning of 2009 I did it without 1/3rd superfree and lost weight consistantly. When 1/3rd superfree became compulsory as of 2010 it was just as my losses were slowing and since I have done it my losses are back to what they were, despite now weighing less.

You will still lose without 1/3rd superfree, but you will lose more if you have 1/3rd superfree on your plate as I have definately noticed I now eat smaller portions to make room. I really get the concept now- it has really changed how I see my plate of food.

I know some people object to 'the rules' but SW only changed it to make the plan more effective- and it is!

Very well said CP. I totally agree. Yes, there are the odd meals where you can't or don't want to add the 1/3 superfree, but I think on the whole, if you stick to the superfree rule you will lose more. SW did it for a reason, and it works!

I was reading some recipes in the latest magazine & on an EE day breakfast often showed as whatever you choose then fruit after (as sometimes fruit/veg cannot always be incorporated with breakfast).

I hadn't been told the 1/3 superfree foods had to be on your plate but it makes sense as you will naturally consume less calories in the meal.

In the EE cookbook there are some recipes for pasta etc where the vegetables/salad are in a side bowl but as long as its still 1/3 of the meal I'm guessing thats ok...

In a recent discussion of this subject on this forum, someone posted a copy of an email from Slimming World which should clarify things. I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting it below, although you can look at the whole thread here:

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/140741-info-my-consultants-seminar-regarding-ee-1-3-free.html

with the proviso that some of the information in the rest of that topic was written before we had seen the email, so might not be accurate.

As Slimming World says in the email

"if your spaghetti Bolognese doesn’t contain a large portion of superfree veg (peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions etc.) then it wouldn’t contain the 1/3 that’s recommended",

then I think it is clear that if your dish DOES contain a large proportion of superfree vegetables, then it WOULD contain the 1/3 that is recommended (note the use of the word "recommended").

Here is the email:

. . . . I can confirm that there are many inaccuracies in this post and it’s always best to come back to Slimming World for advice/help.

If you’re following the Extra Easy plan fill 1/3 of your plate with Superfree Food and make it your first choice between meals.

We recommend you enjoy one third of a plate of Superfree Food at each meal. If your spaghetti Bolognese doesn’t contain a large portion of superfree veg (peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions etc.) then it wouldn’t contain the 1/3 that’s recommended - so it may be a case of enjoying it with a crispy salad, or some roasted courgettes/peppers etc. It’s about looking at your meals realistically – the 1/3 recommendation is to help with weight loss, so if you’ve found your weight loss has slowed then it may be worth checking whether your meals do actually follow the 1/3 rule.

If there are times where it just doesn’t fit to have 1/3 Superfree, (eg beans on toast) then it won’t do any harm to not have it, however, remembering that superfree food is what really helps weight loss, it makes sense to enjoy this with the majority of your meals.

. . . .

Best wishes

Slimming World

I tend to cheat and eat a pile of peppers, celery, fruit or something AS I cook, which means I'm less ravenous, so my portion size is smaller and I try and include as much veg as possible in my meals.

I have huge amounts of vegetables and always have done. I made a curry tonight and it had peppers, onions, green beans and butternut squash....there was far more veg than meat thats for sure.
If I don't think i've put enough veg in say with a bolognese I will add broccoli to my plate at the end.
I think it really depends on how your losses have been following EE....if your adding veg to sauce and losing your doing something right, if not then theres your answer.
x

Back