10 things about losing weight

susana78

I've just watched a BBC ONE documentary called '10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight', presented by science journalist (and qualified medical doctor) Michael Mosley.

Here are the ten things that Michael Mosley thinks you should know about losing weight:

1. Don’t skip meals, especially breakfast, as it makes you crave more higher calorie food.
2. Use smaller plates to control portion size.
3. Count your calories.
4. Don’t blame your metabolism.
5. Protein staves off hunger pangs.
6. Soup keeps you fuller for longer.
7. The wider the choice, the more you eat.
8. Low fat dairy actually helps you excrete more fat.
9. Exercise goes on burning fat even while you sleep.
10. Keep moving and lose weight – Just keep active.

about point 6-- The point made in the TV show was that if you eat, say, chicken/rice/vegetables as solid foods but wash them down with water, then the water will flush the solid food out of your stomach. The point about the soup was that it was made of exactly the same chicken/rice/vegetables but, instead of the soldiers drinking water WITH their meal, it was added to the chicken/rice/vegetables in a blender and made into soup. Two sets of soldiers ate the same foods, but the group who drank water with their meal were flushing the solid food out of their stomach into their intestines. The soup eaters did NOT have a separate drink with their meal and thus did not flush their food out of their stomachs.
The "magic" is not in eating soup, but in "not flushing out" the stomach.

I don't drink enough water but my problem is that I constantly need the loo after every drink I have!!!! It's getting a bit embarrassing actually so I try to avoid having regular drinks at work as I'm forever taking trips to the ladies!!!! Xxxx

SJH1985 said:
I don't drink enough water but my problem is that I constantly need the loo after every drink I have!!!! It's getting a bit embarrassing actually so I try to avoid having regular drinks at work as I'm forever taking trips to the ladies!!!! Xxxx

Lol! That made me giggle. Some people have that effect when drinking tea and coffee.... Im obv immune to it.

I need to start drinking more water though. I dont drink enough by any means xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks for this susana78, it's really interesting, especially the dairy thing. I haven't had much dairy lately (just some cheese here and there) and have been steering clear of milk since i had too much on sw. Maybe I should try and include a bit of milk again. Does semi skimmed count or should it be skimmed?

Thanks for this susana78, it's really interesting, especially the dairy thing. I haven't had much dairy lately (just some cheese here and there) and have been steering clear of milk since i had too much on sw. Maybe I should try and include a bit of milk again. Does semi skimmed count or should it be skimmed?

skimmed milk has less pp, and the same nutrients.
the program was interested, take a look on bbc site.
we need all the help:D

I'm on BBC Iplayer looking to watch it but I can't find it :s anyone got a link?

when you get low fat dairy products be REALLY careful: many companies load their low fat products with sugar to maintain a nice taste. A high sugar content is much worse for you than the normal fat content, as it stimulates your liver to create more insulin which is released in your blood and prevents your body to absorb sugar and break it down. This keeps you on a high for a little while but as soon as the insulin level drops and the sugar levels drop, you get into a mad rush of having more sugar (that's when you CRAVE sugary things after you had a sugary treat).

The best low fat yoghurt to have is Fage Total 0%. It's only got the sugars of the skimmed milk and that's it, no added rubbish. I normally have half a banana crushed into it and it's a wonderful treat. 100g of Fage's Total 0% is only 1pp!

yes, we need b careful, we need read the labels... choosing healthy, even if is more pp.
things like bulgar, quinoa, rye bread,good doctor pitas, nuts, olive oil,0%fatgreek yogurt,avocado(people avoid,because the fat, but is so good 4 us.) many more,u all know..
i only have chocolate once a week.
if u like cake. use nuts, dried fruit,dark chocolate, make it yourself, rather buying,
ww have nice recipes.

Back