100% and low iron levels

Elaine-Melanie

Hi, went to donate blood tonight and couldn't because my iron levels were too low. Have an appointment to try again in 10 days time. Lipotrim information says that we have full quantity of iron in each sachet of shake. Do you think it wise to supplement with iron tablets or just wait until after Lipotrim finished before donating blood again? Blood bank in South Wales only has two days supply of my blood group left. In a cunundrum'

God that is mad makes you think are we low in other things!! Maybe go back in 10 days and see what the levels are, it would be interesting to know if it was just a once off! I know myself when I gave blood I had to make sure I ate loads before hand otherwise I get really really weak so just becareful. x

Personally, I would avoid giving blood while on TFR as would imagine that you may feel a bit dizzy after. Strictly speaking as long as you drink plenty of fluids before and after you should be fine, which was what i was told when i queried it but decided against risking it.
If you do then have your shake just before going so you are not donating on an empty stomach x

HI there, Your low iron levels may not be connected to Lipotrim, it may be just that you get low levels every now and again, I know I do. I can eat the same but have blood tests 1 week apart with way different levels!!! See how it is in 10 days and then, maybe, start with a multi-vitamin with iron. It may help if you are feeling tired too.
x x x

Hi, thanks for tips and suggestions. Lipotrim responded to my email question by saying that Lipotrim has more iron in it than most people have in their ordinary diet so this is not the problem. They told me to see my GP as low iron usually means blood loss. If GP prescribes iron tablets then I should take them. Will see what happens when go to blood bank again on 20th December and take it from there.

I would wonder if we are getting the best possible advice from lipotrim!! I mean I dont think they are going to dis their own product!!! I went to another chemist when I fainted and they advised that I didn't do LT as its too extreme and they wouldn't give it to people. I have obviously ignored them but these things do make me wonder!! Good luck on the 20th and sure let us know! x

i dont know whether this is on this topic or not but i could do with your opinions as my conundrum is kind of related..... ive always bruised fairly easily but since starting LT ive been bruising majorly... could this be due to a lack of iron?? xx

Peach Pip please get a blood test done for platelets. I have a blood problem called ITP and one of the main symptoms is bruising. It is where there is not enough clotting agent in the blood and can be extremely dangerous if not treated. I was in hospital on a drip for a week followed by a high dose of steroids for 2 years to get my platelets back to within normal levels when I was first diagnosed.
google idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
x x x

*lesley* said:
Personally, I would avoid giving blood while on TFR as would imagine that you may feel a bit dizzy after. Strictly speaking as long as you drink plenty of fluids before and after you should be fine, which was what i was told when i queried it but decided against risking it.
If you do then have your shake just before going so you are not donating on an empty stomach x

Lllcb

TracyAnne said:
Peach Pip please get a blood test done for platelets. I have a blood problem called ITP and one of the main symptoms is bruising. It is where there is not enough clotting agent in the blood and can be extremely dangerous if not treated. I was in hospital on a drip for a week followed by a high dose of steroids for 2 years to get my platelets back to within normal levels when I was first diagnosed.
google idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.
x x x

Thanks Hun will do x

leahcnnr said:
I googled it peach and for some reason bruising easily is not uncommon on vlcd.

Aww thank you so much for that Hun, I used to bruise Like a peach anyway and I've only a few bruises but because I couldnt work out how I'd done them was getting a trifle concerned. Thanks so much leahcnnr xxx

I must say, ITP is a rather uncommon and it doesn't usually cause a low iron in the bloods. I don't think there is a reason to test for ITP. Celiac disease and heavy periods tend to be the commonest cause for iron deficiencies. Consult your GP after your LT is over and check the levels of iron again. It should warrant further blood tests should the levels still be low. Try to not just replace the iron without finding out why it was low in the first place. Otherwise you are just treating the symptom and not the cause.

Ladies I wouldn't worry to much about LT and how extreme it is etc...My father did LT YEARS ago (we are talking around 93/94) in them days the only place you could get it in the whole of Manchester was Hope Hospital and he had to go there every week for his weigh in and ketone check... I'm pretty sure if it was really damaging to the body it would not have been provided by a hospital :)

Ladies I wouldn't worry to much about LT and how extreme it is etc...My father did LT YEARS ago (we are talking around 93/94) in them days the only place you could get it in the whole of Manchester was Hope Hospital and he had to go there every week for his weigh in and ketone check... I'm pretty sure if it was really damaging to the body it would not have been provided by a hospital :)

Totally agree. the gp's would not recommend it if there was any doubt. (ITP is not connected to diet in any way but can develop at any stage if your spleen is over active, just thought it may be worth a test as that is the only way to be sure.)
x x x

Back