1000 cals a day?

Sorry, but it's definitely NOT ok!! Not unless you're on a properly supervised VLCD, and even then you can do quote a bit of harm to your metabolism if you're not careful. x

Unfortunately that happened to me :-( . I'm reaping the seeds I sowed through many years of too few calories.(ended up with nutritional deficiencies especially iodine which gave me pains in my hips for years until I discovered why and started supplementation)...... Might take a year to undo the damage so I've read :'(. But it's your own body and your own decisions. Personally my doctor was useless...... Had to go down the holistic route for proper health advice.......feel like a different person

Last edited:
JaxieD said:
Unfortunately that happened to me :-( . I'm reaping the seeds I sowed through many years of too few calories.(ended up with nutritional deficiencies especially iodine which gave me pains in my hips for years until I discovered why and started supplementation)...... Might take a year to undo the damage so I've read :'(. But each to their own

Yeah, I don't think it's stating it too strongly to say it wrecked my health, which is why I'm so passionately against the idea if I think others may face the same fate. :( xx

Yeah, I don't think it's stating it too strongly to say it wrecked my health, which is why I'm so passionately against the idea if I think others may face the same fate. :( xx

I see you've done fabulously losing weight.......I'm really worried I won't be able to lose weight as I was stuck for about 10 months in a vicious circle despite low cal and cardio exercise 3-4 times a week.......you've given me hope :)

Awww i'm so sorry you had to go through so much health wise.

I really appreciate your concern, thats why I love this forum, all the great advice. I managed to maintain my weight for a good 2 years until I fell pregnant with baby no 2. Hense me being back more or less to square 1, not sure what steps I want to take this time (haven't decided which diet/cals).

Yes, perhaps my doctor is in the minority, but he knows my health history and the implications my weight was having on my health, perhaps he saw the benefits to a lower calorie diet, i'm not sure to be honest.

As long as your doctor says its ok and there are follow up appointments - making sure the correct vitamin supplements are taken - correct food groups eaten, I cant see it all that different from any VLCD given that LL/CD are around 500 cals a day.

xxxxxxxx

JaxieD said:
I see you've done fabulously losing weight.......I'm really worried I won't be able to lose weight as I was stuck for about 10 months in a vicious circle despite low cal and cardio exercise 3-4 times a week.......you've given me hope :)

Aww, thank you! I've just tried to be very patient and sensible this time, starting on 1800 cals and gradually reducing it to 1400. Don't plan on going any lower now. Hoping to get 10 stone off in total. How much do you need to lose? xx

littlemiss said:
Awww i'm so sorry you had to go through so much health wise.

I really appreciate your concern, thats why I love this forum, all the great advice. I managed to maintain my weight for a good 2 years until I fell pregnant with baby no 2. Hense me being back more or less to square 1, not sure what steps I want to take this time (haven't decided which diet/cals).

Yes, perhaps my doctor is in the minority, but he knows my health history and the implications my weight was having on my health, perhaps he saw the benefits to a lower calorie diet, i'm not sure to be honest.

As long as your doctor says its ok and there are follow up appointments - making sure the correct vitamin supplements are taken - correct food groups eaten, I cant see it all that different from any VLCD given that LL/CD are around 500 cals a day.

xxxxxxxx

Thanks, hon. Don't want to sound preachy, lol, but I've had so many problems that stem from abusing my body with ill-advised weight loss methods that I can get a bit passionate! Just take care. The thing with plans like Cambridge is that they are so finely tuned, nutritionally, that you can get away with so few calories, but I still wouldn't do one myself, especially with a history of eating disorders. I hope you find a plan that works well for you. :) xx

Aww, thank you! I've just tried to be very patient and sensible this time, starting on 1800 cals and gradually reducing it to 1400. Don't plan on going any lower now. Hoping to get 10 stone off in total. How much do you need to lose? xx

To have a BMI of 25 I would need to lose about 4 stone but I don't want to lose that much as I would look like a hag, lol. I'm around 15 stone (not totally certain as am too afraid to step on scales) . I lost almost 4 stone 4 years ago on CD and felt fab but really struggled to keep the weight off despite exercise and trying to follow all the various diets. My body just had a mind of its own and just clung onto any extra food I ate. I went backwards and forwards on CD over the past 4 yearsvand I really think this is what has caused the damage.......so I think body just said.....here we go again and I gained even more weight each time I came off VLCD. I just can't do it anymore....... I seriously felt so run down and ill earlier in the year. Eating at maintenance has improved my health but not my waist line. I honestly have gained so much weight over the past 8 weeks I can hardly believe it :-( . I'm starting again next week at 1800 cals along with my exercise so fingers crossed x

Glad to hear it. I ate below 1200 calories a day, probably 600 ish each day. I lost weight and felt great but it definately wrecked my health!

JaxieD said:
To have a BMI of 25 I would need to lose about 4 stone but I don't want to lose that much as I would look like a hag, lol. I'm around 15 stone (not totally certain as am too afraid to step on scales) . I lost almost 4 stone 4 years ago on CD and felt fab but really struggled to keep the weight off despite exercise and trying to follow all the various diets. My body just had a mind of its own and just clung onto any extra food I ate. I went backwards and forwards on CD over the past 4 yearsvand I really think this is what has caused the damage.......so I think body just said.....here we go again and I gained even more weight each time I came off VLCD. I just can't do it anymore....... I seriously felt so run down and ill earlier in the year. Eating at maintenance has improved my health but not my waist line. I honestly have gained so much weight over the past 8 weeks I can hardly believe it :-( . I'm starting again next week at 1800 cals along with my exercise so fingers crossed x

I'm sure you'll do great - it is possible to fix your metabolism, you just need to go at it steadily. 1800 sounds like a good starting point, it's what I did. I know what you mean about not necessarily wanting to get to a "healthy" BMI - I've already got people telling me I don't look like I need to lose any more and I'm right at the top of the overweight band! At 5'8" I think I probably hide a couple of stone extra quite well, lol. :) xx

Baby_Cakes said:
Glad to hear it. I ate below 1200 calories a day, probably 600 ish each day. I lost weight and felt great but it definately wrecked my health!

Yes, that sounds like me, all those years ago! It was the start of a very long, very slippery slope, lol. xxx

Yep, this time I am doing it the right way and going to maintain when I get there - its always been the hardest part for me. Once I get into weight loss/exercise I find it easy and enjoyable. Its the slowing down/maintaining I find hard.

Yep, this time I am doing it the right way and going to maintain when I get there - its always been the hardest part for me. Once I get into weight loss/exercise I find it easy and enjoyable. Its the slowing down/maintaining I find hard.

Good positive talking, lady x

Baby_Cakes said:

That's for sure! xx

Back