1000 cals a day?

ndz

Hi :)

Just wondering whether anyone has done/ does 1000 calories a day, and how well it's working out for them?

For the past week I've been sticking to 1200; and although I haven't weighed myself, I've not felt hungry very much and I dont feel as though I'm slimming down? I know it's only been a week but I feel bloated, usually on diets I'm feeling slimmer by now!

I currently weigh 12st, do you think dropping to 1000 cals is a good idea?

Nad :)

I did for a few weeks and gained weight! I eat 1600 now and I'm losing steadily x

Search for a bmr calculator and then minus 500 off that result and that should give you the best amount of calories to eat to loose weight x

ndz said:

Just wondering whether anyone has done/ does 1000 calories a day, and how well it's working out for them?

For the past week I've been sticking to 1200; and although I haven't weighed myself, I've not felt hungry very much and I dont feel as though I'm slimming down? I know it's only been a week but I feel bloated, usually on diets I'm feeling slimmer by now!

Definitely not!! I used to do that when I was 20, and suspect I irreparably damaged my metabolism. Yo-yo dieted for 30 years, ending up at 21.5 stone (from 8.5 stone at my lowest). I've now lost 7.5 stone and have to accept that I will never be able to eat "normally" again because of what I've done to my metabolism over decades of dieting. Have a look at this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-brain-hormones-youre-doomed-pile-again.html

PLEASE don't go below 1200 - up your calories to get better results, don't decrease them.

Sorry, lecture over - just don't like to see people heading down the same disastrous path I've been on for so long. xx

You need to read the thread helping to set your recommended calories ... Very interesting ..
It's not the BMR you minus cals from for your daily calorie intake .. It's your tdee .. I'm on 1450 cals and gradually going to increase to 1600 per day ...
1000 cals is not enough ..!!! I am a nurse and used to work critical care ... We had a dietician that worked out the calories that people needed to fed via an IV (called TPN) to simply keep them alive .. That is your BMR.!! So with everything we do everyday . Meaning we are not in a coma ... We need to eat above that BMR ..!! This is your TDEE..
There are loads of calculators on the net .. One of the best prob being fat 2 fit radio .. Google it or download app if you have an iPhone x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

below 1200 puts your body into starvation mode and will have the wrong affect.x

Wow, thank you for your time and support ladies!

You all seem to think this is a terrible idea; so maybe I wont do it! Im just being impatient because of how down my weight is getting me. I'll stick to the 1200 but relaly up my water and fruit and veg intake! Decided to weigh in at Boots on monday morning too so I know how I'm doing really!

x

ndz said:

You all seem to think this is a terrible idea; so maybe I wont do it! Im just being impatient because of how down my weight is getting me. I'll stick to the 1200 but relaly up my water and fruit and veg intake! Decided to weigh in at Boots on monday morning too so I know how I'm doing really!

x

No need to be impatient, lol. The slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off, so take your time. :) xx

x

I was really impatient too! I found that the reason I failed at so many diets was that the results were too slow for me. I'd get 7-10lb off but then get bored waiting for the rest to come off so I'd slip back into my old, comfortable habits because it was "easier"!

This time around I did things differently. I did a food replacement diet (Lipotrim) which is less than 500 cals per day, but provides all your vital nutrients. It puts you into Ketosis from about day 4 onwards so your body starts breaking down your fat and you don't feel hungry anymore. Yes, you crave food but you don't actually "feel" hungry if that makes sense?!

Anyway, I sound like an advertisement for them (I'm not)!

The average weightloss is 1 stone a month. I lost just over 2 stone in 7 weeks and have been calorie counting since I finished. I am now approx. 4lb away from losing 3 stone altogether! I am a healthy BMI, a size 10, and I couldn't be happier. Or healthier!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that this is something to consider if you are impatient for your weight to come off. Dropping your food cals to less than 1000 is dangerous. You probably won't go into Ketosis (unless you avoid all carbs), and you certainly won't be getting the right minerals, vitamins, etc. Not to mention you will be starving!!

By the way, there are lots of different food replacement diets. Exante, Slim and Save, Cambridge etc.

Calorie counting is definitely the healthiest option out there, as long as you eat enough. It can take a whole to get your balance but I've recently upped my cals from 1200 to 1560 (my TDEE minus 20%) and I seem to be losing more quickly! Will know for sure at weigh in tomorrow morning!!

I'm living to regret my years of deprivation and yo yoing......can't lose any weight at all at the mo (have Actually given up for the past few weeks, and am eating at maintenance level but have piled the weight on due to having suppressed my metabolism over the years. Am hoping this might kick start my body again but I will never go that low again. Never go below your BMR is my advice.

I'm living to regret my years of deprivation and yo yoing......can't lose any weight at all at the mo (have Actually given up for the past few weeks, and am eating at maintenance level but have piled the weight on due to having suppressed my metabolism over the years. Am hoping this might kick start my body again but I will never go that low again. Never go below your BMR is my advice.

I get confused with my exercise cals .... Am I to eat to get my net up to BMR level or Not ..???

Personally I would eat exercise cals backtil you're at or above your BMR (I've done a bit of research and this generally seems to be the advice....sorry if it's different to what other people think though :) )

Personally I would eat exercise cals backtil you're at or above your BMR (I've done a bit of research and this generally seems to be the advice....sorry if it's different to what other people think though :) )

Iv been reading a lot and reading what this guy Dan says .. But in just a tad confused on that bit .! I would have thought the same as you ..!

For me.....I've done so much reading, trying to understand why after 6 months of diet and exercise I'm now a stone heavier than last year......my heads spinning. I'm fed up starving myself with no results. I'm now fatter than I've been in 4 years and although I hate the way I look, I defo feel loads better. I started strength training last week (nearly killed me, lol) as I've so little muscle now after my stupid fad diets :-( . Hoping this helps.....will be doing 15% calorie cut in the new year.......fingers crossed.

For me.....I've done so much reading, trying to understand why after 6 months of diet and exercise I'm now a stone heavier than last year......my heads spinning. I'm fed up starving myself with no results. I'm now fatter than I've been in 4 years and although I hate the way I look, I defo feel loads better. I started strength training last week (nearly killed me, lol) as I've so little muscle now after my stupid fad diets :-( . Hoping this helps.....will be doing 15% calorie cut in the new year.......fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you Hun xxx for all of us x

Hey

1000 cals a day is fine.

I lost over 5 stone doing 1000 a day. Some days I did 1200 or more but generally it was 1000. Before I lost weight I had probs with my blood pressure, which meant doctors appointments, he had told me losing weight would help. When I told him i'd lost weight using that low an amount he said that was absolutely fine, but not to go any lower. And eat slightly more if exercising.

Worked fine for me!!

Good luck

littlemiss said:
Hey

1000 cals a day is fine.

I lost over 5 stone doing 1000 a day. Some days I did 1200 or more but generally it was 1000. Before I lost weight I had probs with my blood pressure, which meant doctors appointments, he had told me losing weight would help. When I told him i'd lost weight using that low an amount he said that was absolutely fine, but not to go any lower. And eat slightly more if exercising.

Worked fine for me!!

Good luck

Sorry, but it's definitely NOT ok!! Not unless you're on a properly supervised VLCD, and even then you can do quote a bit of harm to your metabolism if you're not careful. x

littlemiss said:
My doctor told me it was ok, thats enough for me.

Should have said though - check with your doctor first.

Absolutely, you can't do a VLCD by yourself, it's got to be via a proper plan like Cambridge. This is the official NHS advice - not sure what your GP advised, but they wouldn't generally say it was ok:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/very-low-calorie-diets.aspx

I speak here as someone who stupidly did a DIY 1000 cal or lower diet when I was 20. Like you, I lost a load of weight. And as you've said you mostly did, I put the weight back on (and the rest!) and over the next 30 years suffered eating disorders, heart failure, chronic ill health, yo-yo dieting - you name it. A wrecked metabolism and decades of ill health was the price I paid and I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. I would never recommend eating less than 1200 calories, but even that is too low for me. I actually ate 1194 cals the other day, lower than usual, and My Fitness Pal told me off, lol. xx

Back