1000 cals a day

jazz86

ive been to the doctor today and have been given the go ahead to drop my cals to 1000 a day

i am planning to eat

1 banana and apple for breakfast ( i struggle to eat alot else first thing)

weight watchers hot pot meal at lunch with a piece of fruit

max of 400 cal dinner

150 for treat if needed

i have lost 6 lbs this week so am feeling good

well done.

I am on 1000 too.
Have much weight do you have to lose?
I find that somedays, I just really really cant stick to 1000 cals, like yesterday - so I make sure that when I go over it is with things like fruit or salad - not bad foods!!!

x

ive been to the doctor today and have been given the go ahead to drop my cals to 1000 a day

i am planning to eat

1 banana and apple for breakfast ( i struggle to eat alot else first thing)

weight watchers hot pot meal at lunch with a piece of fruit

max of 400 cal dinner

150 for treat if needed

i have lost 6 lbs this week so am feeling good

Hi, I've been on 1000 cals a day for around 15 weeks now, its going great so far, but i'm bored of the food, anyone got any ideas for low fat dinners (apart from WW micro meals as I eat them now)

Also, how do you use your 150 cal for snacks, do you use it all at the one time?

:)

Also, how do you use your 150 cal for snacks, do you use it all at the one time?

I always have the Tesco healthy choice maple cereal bars (they do other flavours) in my cupboard and they are 75 cals so good for a higher energy snack then the rest of your snack allowance could go on fruit or veggies or a few nuts?

I always have the Tesco healthy choice maple cereal bars (they do other flavours) in my cupboard and they are 75 cals so good for a higher energy snack then the rest of your snack allowance could go on fruit or veggies or a few nuts?

I've just been going for fruit and yogurt, with the occasional low fat chocolate biscuit. I might take a trip to Tesco, as I'm getting fed up with Asda's stuff!!
;)

That's the thing - I find a good snack or something then after a few weeks I get bored of it and want something new! Supermarkets definately do vary in what they stock.

Oh and the other thing I like is dried apricots and dried pineapple (so good for chewing on and for sweet kick).

I found a good snack yesterday - in the freezer. A little frozen Jubbly - only 25 calories but it took 15 mins to eat. I think things which take a long time to eat are great as snacks.

Im on 1000 cals a day and it is working from you looking at my progress. Fair enough it has been slow recently but im nearly 2 stone down... CANT WAIT to reach goal!

Eating 1000 calories a day is NOT SAFE. You will do your body some serious damage, and possibly mess up your metabolism permanently. I can't believe a doctor, a supposedly well informed medical professional, could recommend that for you. Give your poor body adequate nutrition and get yourself a better doctor.

Well i have been ok the past 5 months and i am eating proper meals, just lower calorie an im still most of the time full at the end of the day.

I've been doing it for around 4 months, and i've been fine, my doctor advised me to drop to 1,000 because of how heavy I was. I really dont see any reason why it would be dangerous, the weight i was at was more dangerous, and I had originally started at 1,200 a day and lost nothing for weeks, but now I've been losing around 1/2 lb a week, which is healthy compared to people who are losing 6/7lbs a week on LL and other liquid diets...thats not healthy (in my opinion) fair enough, the sachets etc are full of vitamins, but so are the fruit and veg i eat.

More exercise i am trying as i have hit a slow point. Some days i don't even reach 1000 cals as i am eating the right foods to be ablwe to have such low calories.

I have been told in the past by medical professionals that no female should eat under 1200 calories a day (the basic minimum for the average woman).

Yes. Though I don't believe there is an exactly cut off point. The main reason for the 1200 is that it's much harder to get everything you need (carbs, protein, fats) under 1200 kcals.

When you reduce your calories, the metabolism will go down. Not just because you are smaller, but there's also an adaptive component that will slow it down more.

This is normal. Happens with every diet and can't be helped.

The more you lower your intake, the lower the metabolism to a certain extent. Also the more chance of loss of lean mass, which lowers it even more.

I do wonder what happens if you hit a plateau at such a low calorie level? How do you kickstart your loss again? Reduce calories again or more exercise?
Well, this is the big one. Lower cals even more, and metabolism will go down even more. Increase exercise at such a low level and you can lose more lean. I think most people then increase their calories to raise their metabolism. Some continue to be extra strict with their diet, but it can cause more problems unless they are very careful and really know how the body works and how to do it.

Research has shown that very strict dieters lose about the same amount of weight over a longer period of time compared to the less strict. I find that fascinating :)

Research has shown that very strict dieters lose about the same amount of weight over a longer period of time compared to the less strict. I find that fascinating :)

That's really encouraging. I'm 9st 10lb now and still losing weight on 1500 a day. So far I've avoided a slowing of my metabolism and I have a lot of energy to do more exercise.

I know I'm bigger than a lot of you and need more calories just to maintain but I've lost 34 pounds since January eating 2000 - 2200 calories a day. I have been told in the past by medical professionals that no female should eat under 1200 calories a day (the basic minimum for the average woman). Exceptions, of course, are if you are very short and/or bedridden!

I do wonder what happens if you hit a plateau at such a low calorie level? How do you kickstart your loss again? Reduce calories again or more exercise?

Not trying to be antagonistic, just interested.

Hi Skulder,

I am unsure as to why my doctor advised me to drop my cals to 1,000, I didn't think anything of it at the time, I am quite small myself at 5ft 2" I have a few medical problems and I am not sure if he had them in mind. Last week I went to the doctors with back pain and shortness of breath, it was a stand in doctor i've not had before, and I mentioned the 1,000 cal a day diet, to see what he said, and he said that should not be causing any problems and is totally healthy.

I have stuck to this diet now since the end of January, and every week I have lost something, sometimes only 1/2lbs a week, but overall iv lost 2 and half stone, there has been 2 weeks that my weight stayed the same, but I have never gained. I have never hit a plateu but im sure if it was gonna happen it would have by now, 4 months into it. but if it does happen, I will up my exercise, just now I walk alot and use the exercise bike once a week.

Alot of my main health problems have gone, before I was eating around 1,200 - 1,500 cals a day and still had health problems and never lost a thing.

Hope this helps!
:)

do some of the 1000 cals a day ppl mind sharing thier meal plan for an average day...?
It would be good to see the range of foods you eat and maybe give me some ideas. I'm thinking of dropping to 1000 cals to boost my loss

do some of the 1000 cals a day ppl mind sharing thier meal plan for an average day...?
It would be good to see the range of foods you eat and maybe give me some ideas. I'm thinking of dropping to 1000 cals to boost my loss

Hi Preetone, great choice, you should see results quickly! I keep a food diary so I can look back and see what i've eaten, it also helps when calculating cals. On an average day for me -

b.fast - rice crispies or special K with milk 171 cals

Lunch - sandwich with low fat meat - 250/300 cals

Dinner - either a weight watchers meal at 200 cals or home made soup, or a chicken breast with veg.

Snacks - Small orange 40 cals apple 50 cals and a low fat yogurt at 90 cals

Drinks - 2 cups of tea no sugar, diluting juice and coke zero oh and diet irn bru.

I am never hungry on this diet, and I would physically struggle to eat any more.

Hope this helps! ;)

Hi

i am on 1000 cals a day and ona n average day if im working an early shift at work:

7am get to work and have a banana 70cals

1st break 1 alpen light bar and a cup of coddee using coffee mate and sweetener 100 cals

salt and vinegar popcorn snackajacks 29cals, jelly 10cals, sliced babybel on toast 100cals

snack on grapes

Dinner boil in bag fish with steamed veg 165 cals

I then treat myself int he evening witha good cup of tea with maybe a finger of a time out as thats 85cals for one finger. This way i get my chocci fix :)

Back