10k training!

gina_b

Les Mills Fitness Freak
:D so i signed up for a 10k run, knowing full well that my last big run was a 5k and i found it very tough. had the choice of 1 mile, 3 miles or 6 miles too.... :rolleyes:

i did a survey on asics website and i got a running programme to follow :D

started today, the first run was a 5k jog. its went surprisingly good, it wasnt too much struggle. my calves felt like they were tightening up but nothing to distract me.
i left the treadmill a sweaty mess, and got some rather fetching sweat patches on my back. lovely look :p teaches me to wear a cotton vest... next time no cotton. i have proper running tshirts so they will get used now!

tommorow is a rest, yay!

i shall update when my next run is :D

might be early to say it, but a very small part of me is enjoying this running!!

Good for you, sounds like your tackling it head on :) Looking forward to seeing how you get on, when is your 10k?? I am very new to running, 1 week into my C25K and i have to admit, i love it too :) Never in a million years would i have thught i would, but im getting rather addictive to this exercise thing :) :) Good luck with your training!! x

its the 25th of march, i wasnt expecting it to be so quick coming up as i only signed up last night! eek
even bought new trainers for this too, horray! my old ones are ok, but ive had them over a year and i want a pair that feels bouncy. my old ones will be used for classes and walking, the new ones purely for running events. eeeee exited for the big day now, or maybe its adrenaline nerves, who knows.... whatever it is i like the feeling!

got a few little runs coming up after it so ill just stick to the 10k training. the little ones are 5k :)

i want to do another run tommorow but its the rest day, im gutted :( x

i take back what i thought yesterday... that the 5k run didnt seem so hard.

my legs are like lead today, ouch! today is my rest day so i can have a long soak with soothing bubble bath :D

it supposed to be another 5k run tommow and 10k run wednesday. problem is wednesday is my attack and combat day. i can do a 5k on that day but i wont have the time for a 10k.
thinking if i just switch it round.... 10k tommorow, 5k wednesday... this would work yes!

my new trainers came today, tried them on and i feel like tigger in them. so bouncy and light! :D didnt think they were in the box when i picked it up it was that light... love the colours too. pink and purple :D they feel really secure and a perfect fit to my feet, pleased with my purchase.

does anyone know of any good running socks? i have got trainer socks but they roll down at the back and thats when i get blisters :(

Aw i feel for u, i know how sore u can get from running! Iv not been too bad luckily but then im not running any distance yet lol

Glad your trainers came :) mine are quite heavy so i think il be investing in some new ones soon too. Any excuse to treat myself he he he

Socks.....i think i got mine in matalan. they are trainer socks but they come up quite high and the tops are thick which stops them rlling down, but i bought them last year. im sure they will still do them. they came in a twin pack of white with pastel trim. maybe have a look in there? il see if they have them the next time im in there and get the product number for u if they have :) x

ill have a wander around town at the weekend, i dont want to go to sport shops and pay full for something that does the job from primark!

the trainers i have currently are good for exercise classes, not so much runners.... they are 2009's nike model, got them in both colours (pink and purple) ahhh i see a colour pattern. i do like pink or purple trainers lol :p

looking forward to my 6 mile run tommorow, horray! my brother might be joining me on this run too. hes alot faster though, shortest run hes done is a half marathon :O

lol my trend is blue and white trainers lol

i seem to go for the brightest colours... yellow is another

Good luck Gina! I'm another one who never thought they would ever say they enjoy running, but I've definately caught the bug now! My first 10k is on 19th May

i attempted a full 10k... i lasted at just over 5k. the pain was getting too much for me so i had to stop :(
not even the day after the run but my hips are agony now.

i knew this would happen, i hoped it wouldnt. i have problems with my hips, had to have years of physio to fix the problem as a child. it was severe when i was younger, couldnt walk for even an hour without my hips hurting that bad i couldnt go any further.

i wont be giving this up, i will beat this! even if im crying in pain by the time i finish, I WILL DO IT! tommorow is a 5 mile run, i will push to do it and hopefully it will all get easier in time. now i remembered why i was so nervous about it.

the joys of bones not growing right :(

Hope your run goes ok 2moro. :)

i managed 5k again.... seems thats my limit, i need to get my mind past the block that stops me going past that one :/ the hip pains arnt as bad though, and i only stopped once to have a drink yay!

I do find running more a mental battle than a physical one at times.

today is my rest day so im being lazy, no gym today :)

You have inspired me. I've just signed up to the Asics 10k programme too - didn't even know it existed!

mines the asics one too! only came across it when i was hunting for trainers :D

managed 5 miles yesterday, woohoo! not the easiest and i was in some pain but i got through it. did two gym classes after it, attack and combat :)

today and monday is a no run day, only got a spinning and body pump class today

Hey Gina,

Well done on your progress! I love running, but I have a dodgy knee, which flares up from time to time. It's that delicate balance of knowing okay pain and bad pain, isn't it? If you push yourself too hard you end up out of action for a week, if not more. Personally I swear by ice gel. They sell it in my local Sainsburys - comes in a big toothpaste style tube. Just pop it on your leg and it works like a pack of ice. I've found it more effective than deep heat when it comes to easing angry joints/muscles.

the pain in my left hip is something ill always have, no matter what i do sadly... its a matter of pushing past the pain and ignoring it! not always easy but i manage.

as today is my rest day, i did two classes instead. double body attack, oh how ive missed it!

:D

did the full 10k.... started with ankle pains around 6k. ignored it and it soon went away.

only thing that bothered me was that my shirt was giving me friction burns under my arms. its red raw now, and agony to put my arms down properly. i dont know if i can handle not using deodrant until it heals :eek:

barely any leg pains though, and hip pain wasnt even there :D horray!

did the run in 1hr 15 mins, could be better but theres plenty of time to improve :D just so happy ive been able to get past the mid block of 5k!

still got too much energy. grr it wont go away, and i cant sleep when i feel like this :p

well done your progress is amazing

I bought some running shirts from sports direct - karrimor, for £4 each and are as good as my addidas £30 ones. its soft material that glides. I do though have a SKINS long sleeve as well thats like a 2nd skin and no rubbing or friction. might be worth a look. If deodrant is too much use a crystal deodrant (its literally a big crystal made from natural material, there is a similar version called pit rok) this has no alcohol or chems that might irritate but no guarantee....

Back