11 syns in a salad!!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by evilpenguin, 1 March 2010 Social URL.

1. evilpenguin

evilpenguin Not evil at all

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st10.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(9.79%)
    Diet:
    Back to Slimming World
    Morning guys

Last night I was at Asda and I bought one of their layered prawn pasta salad boxes to have for dinner.. I was thinking it would be 5 syns ish for the mayo + everything else would be free. Nope.. they're 11 syns! It was just a bit of salad, some cold prawns and some mayo!!! What the hell? Be aware!!!! Pasta salads are not all that innocent!!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

Goodness me!!! Mind you, isn't mayo something like 6 syns a tbsp?
    We think we make the best choices but things like this catch us out.

Good job you checked though hun!

4. Beckyftwx

Beckyftwx Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.92%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I love them salads, I have avoided them since being on SW used to have them everyday for lunch before and think I was being good.

5. ilovelife

ilovelife Wishing and hoping!

you can make your own salad with hellmans mayonniase extra light which is 0.5 for a tbsp :)

6. tinkerbellsmum

tinkerbellsmum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    healthy eating
    its annoying isn't it. imagine these poor people who r trying to lose weight and so they have what they think is a healthy salad or healthy sandwich cause they r terriable and without knowing they r eating all these extra calories.

7. Meli

Meli Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Nothing like homemade and virtually syn free, but it is annoying to see some items labelled as healthy and then you look up the syns and they are so high!

8. HellieCopter

HellieCopter Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7.5lb(19.24%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Shop-bought stuff is a minefield!

It's a good job you checked yours and at least you know for future reference!

I think the safest options are those that have a sachet of dressing you add yourself - lots of the Asda ones do this. There's a salad with boiled egg and ham, or a potato one. They aren't that substantial, but at least the salad cream is seperate and you can leave it off or syn it (I think it's 2 or 3 for the sachet).

If I'm in a supermarket for lunch stuff, I tend to buy a bag, and then some quorn or chicken pieces or whatever and make my own up!

9. pesty

pesty Fighting the bulge

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(5.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I realised how high syn things are on saturday - i was looking up things to buy whilst i was there as didnt really want to take a lunch box and it just wasnt worth it!! Its rediculous!!!

xx

10. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    It's the curse of mayonnaise again! It's everywhere!! I am getting paranoid about it!

11. cocktailprincess

cocktailprincess Still rockin' it

Start Weight:
    18st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    8st1lb(42.64%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World - On-line member
    I know the mayo will bump up the syns, but SWs lazyness is a little to blame here too.

The EE syn system of 'Take the lowest of the green or red values' doesn't work on products where green and red food is mixed. You have taken the green synnage here (as instructed by SW to take the lowest) but the syns on green will include synning the prawns, which we don't actually have to on EE.

Sorry if this is confusing- it is a real bugbear of mine. SW need to work out the real syns on EE and not just rely on this 'take the lowest one' theory that doesn't work where green and red food are mixed.

E.g. if I have sushi that I know only contains rice and fish SW states it has syns because I take the lowest value- on green they are synning the fish and on red they are synning the rice- even though there are no syns on EE

Does this make any sense to anyone else????

pesty likes this.
  12. pesty

pesty Fighting the bulge

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(5.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    This makes perfect sense!!

I've never though about it before!! I agree, its fine on the things that dont have mixed free foods. Trouble is we can just deduct syns as we dont know all thats in it or the grams!

Thats really naughty!!

13. CEB

CEB Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    18st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm glad you raised this cocktail princess cause I have had the same thoughts about extra easy syns too. Ok, I was looking at having chicken chow mein from the Chinese but how could it be synned at 7, if on a green day you syn the chicken and on a red day it syns the noodles and on extra easy both are free? I know there will be some syns for oil but it doesn't always work. I think it is something that Slimming World need to investigate further.

14. philly_x

philly_x Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st1lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.33%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Extra Easy
    Interesting conversation about the EE syns at the end here...I just have a thought, that if EE works using the lowest syn value (which is has for lots and lots of people), then surely the system for it doesnt need to be changed? x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.