Morning James, i agree i really struggle now when people talk about a "healthy" diet which i consider to be poison:eek: sometimes i manage to bite my tongue - most often not:D

Thanks everyone.

Today's menu:

Wednesday 28th March FoodKcalsCarbsFatProtein
4x Cheesestrings264218.422
Green Tea Supplement0000
Tea182.500
24g One Carb Sauce81.500
2x BE Premium Quarter Pounders4604.63434
Cheese Slices1102.48.46.2
4 Omega 3 Caps36040
Green Tea, Vitamin D, Chromium, Multivitamin0000
2 CLA Capsules18020
24g One Carb Sauce81.500
4 Omega 3 Caps36040
Green Tea Supplement0000
2 CLA Capsules18020
Tesco Crispy Bacon2640.514.731.4
4 Omega 3 Caps36040
Green Tea Supplement0000
2 CLA Capsules18020
Red Bush Vanilla Tea100.500

Calories slightly higher today and carbs also slightly over. Not too bothered about the carbs going that much above 20g although I will try and cut it back. Not much to report diet wise. Going to try switching to redbush tea to cut down on carbs. I have that without milk. Still loving the burgers but looking forward to a bit more variety starting tomorrow. 18 days off now! I am planning a special Aberdeen Angus burger lunch tomorrow in the sun (cooked outside on George Foreman grill). After that it will be more variety and I want to get some superfood eggs in tomorrow.

Thoughts:

Again, not much to say. My thinking has totally switched. From feeling utterly powerless and ruled by this weight I now see it as a road block which i'm going to run straight through and get on with my life. I hope this continues and I honestly believe this thread and you people are playing a big part in this so thank you all! 18 days off is also playing a part! I can't wait to smash into the exercise and go for a walk in the sun tomorrow.

Oh, almost forgot, i'm back in ketosis! Rock on :cool:

Go for it James!
Enjoy your 18 days off , oh by the way , where do you get the one carb sauce?

Great you are back in k and feeling focused! Enjoy your time off:)

Enjoy your time off James and keep posting - this place helps keep me in the zone... Partly cos now I couldn't bear letting everyone down! Lol

You're doing brilliantly to have shifted your thoughts like that!! Xx

Double update tonight because I forgot yesterday!

Yesterday:

Thursday 29th March FoodKcalsCarbsFatProtein
Green Tea Supplement0000
Tea with Milk182.500
24g One Carb Sauce81.500
4 Omega 3 Caps36040
Green Tea, Vitamin D, Chromium, Multivitamin0000
2 CLA Capsules18020
15g Almond G&B875.76.31.7
3x Large Eggs309022.522.5
10g Butter80080
50g Cheese20801712.5
4 Omega 3 Caps36040
Green Tea Supplement0000
2 CLA Capsules18020
30g Cheese1260.1137.5
15g Almond G&B875.76.31.7
4 Omega 3 Caps36040
Green Tea Supplement0000
2 CLA Capsules18020
Red Bush Vanilla Tea100.500

The Aberdeen Angus burgers were AWFUL so I threw them away and went back to the superior Birds Eye Premium. The eggs were overcooked and awful (my own fault, I was trying to get the cheese crispy, a daft mistake I should have seen coming). Two lots of green and blacks chocolate not ideal but it's absolutely lovely and only 3.5g carbs over so not too bothered.

Did lots of exercise as well.

Today:

Friday 30th March FoodKcalsCarbsFatProtein
2x Homemade Sausage Patties
Pita
One Carb Sauce
4 Omega 3 Caps
Green Tea, Vitamin D, Chromium, Multivitamin
2 CLA Capsules
2x Chicken Breasts
100g Patak's Butter Chicken Sauce
4 Omega 3 Caps
Green Tea Supplement
2 CLA Capsules
Tesco Crispy Bacon
4 Omega 3 Caps
Green Tea Supplement
2 CLA Capsules
4x Pepsi Max 61.200
15g Milk Choc - Green and Blacks798.14.41.4

Higher carbs today but protein power (Michael and Mary Eades) suggests 30g of carbs per day and I doubt it does too much damage. The green an blacks is a small bar with 12 mini chunks and i've enjoyed every bit so worth the carbs. I'll jump on the bike and treadmill in a minute to burn them off. Lunch today was absolutely superb. 2x bacon today to use it up because it was out of date tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the Chinese so i'll be *trying* to have 0 carbs (or as close to 0 as possible) for first two meals and then choose something sensible. Not bothered about missing the carby stuff too much. Just want to get through it. I've discovered the concept of 'Hellering' which may help me tomorrow even if it goes wrong. I'll go do my exercise and then come back and post what i've found out!

Thanks for the continued support! :)

I've discovered the concept of 'Hellering' which may help me tomorrow even if it goes wrong. I'll go do my exercise and then come back and post what i've found out!

Hellering is the art of eating zero carbs for first two meals then eating whatever you like for an hour (I think this has now changed to an unlimited amount of one third protein, one third veg and one third whatever you want. So if you want chocolate cake, you can have it but you have to balance it with veg and protein). Atkins apparently says this in one book (not sure it says this in mine):

There is another technique for breaking the diet deliberately, yet remaining in control. It it the 60-minute mini-binge popularized by Drs. Rachael and Richard Heller, and designed for carbohydrate addicts. The Hellers called this carbohydrate binge a reward meal and allowed it every single day. In their program, an austere low-carbohydrate diet could be interrupted by an hour of unrestricted eating, as long as the food was nourishing and well-balanced. The operative principle behind that technique is that insulin is released in two phases when carbohydrates are consumed, and the second and greater amount begins about 75 minutes after your first contact with carbohydrate. You must be sated before that and must have stopped eating within an hour.
If the Hellers' system can be made to work for you, its advantages would be obvious. The disadvantages are: no emptying of glycogen reserves, therefore no fat mobilization, therefore no ketosis/lipolysis, therefore no metabolic advantage. Those whose overweight is metabolic, in contrast to addictiton-based, would not do well. I would suggest, then, that you not do any Hellering until you are close to your goal weight and then to do it little by little, so that you will have familiarized yourself with the effect it has upon your subsequent diet control, your appetite level and your weight. But you should be aware of the principle because, in case carbohydrate happens to jump into your mouth uninvited, you can do considerable damage control by finishing before an hour is up. And whatever you do, don't do it in a dining establishment with slow service.

This definitely needs some further research IMO! It might stop people from going completely off the rails if they have one bad food (which i'm guilty of very often. I think it's over now, where are the crisps!??!?'

Last edited:
Morning James... Really interesting research but I'm not sure that would work for me as I know I can stall or increase just by inadvertently letting a hidden carb into my body and that might be only over a ten minute period - or am I misunderstanding you?

Great to have your posts on here as you're very thought provoking! Xx

Morning James... Really interesting research but I'm not sure that would work for me as I know I can stall or increase just by inadvertently letting a hidden carb into my body and that might be only over a ten minute period - or am I misunderstanding you?

Great to have your posts on here as you're very thought provoking! Xx

It isn't something which is compatible with Atkins on a daily basis that's for sure. On the Carb Addicts Diet you have that reward meal daily so never get into ketosis. It does seem to be damage limitation rather than damage avoidance. I think you'd certainly see a rebound on Atkins of a couple of pounds (but that is better than the 7-10 I usually gain back after coming off the plan for a day. Also, you have to have 33% veg and 33% protein which is clearly designed to put a cap on your carbs. A meal of chips, steak and salad would qualify as a Hellering meal and you can have as much as you like but your chips would be handicapped by having to eat more steak and salad. Even if you could eat 3 plates at dinner time (who would want that much steak?) your carbs would be under 100g (first two meals 0 carb) so no wonder people lose on it.

It's just the insulin bit which interests me. The thought of having pasta once every few months and stopping right there and only gaining a pound or two is very interesting. Perhaps this has been obvious all along, have a minor slip of of under 100g of carbs and you'll only gain a little. It might be my all or nothing personality which means as soon as i've had a piece of bread or a packet of crisps i've blown it! Hopefully this will change that.

Settled on chicken in black bean sauce tonight. I assume there will be minimal carbs in that compared to sweet and sour etc. Had 9g carbs for breakfast and going to have 10g for lunch. Hopefully i'll be under 50g for the day. I was going to do two 0 carb meals but I just can't face bacon or eggs. Will be very pleased if I make 7 pounds on Tuesday. If I can just get that out of the way and the funeral out of the way it will be a lot easier I think.

Evening James... Ah now it makes perfect sense - thanks for explaining... Yes once you've got those things out of the way you'll be flying!!

I can understand that all or nothing tendency... I was like that all the time... But then only lasted a max of 30mins before sabotaging and then used to say f**k it and go off plan... Thankfully at the moment I'm not in that head space! Xxx

Hello people. I haven't abandoned this thread. It has been a very busy few days and my diet has completely gone out of the window. Right now i'm too tired to even care. Had the Chinese (where I fell apart after drinking alcohol) and my Grandad's funeral today (again alcohol induced junk food consumption).

Alcohol for me has been useful. It's sad but I need it to take the edge off sometimes when seeing a lot of people and especially this time when it is the first time they've seen me since the rebound. I don't actually like alcohol really so won't miss it during strict 20g carbs per day (which I shall be on for the next 6 stone of weight loss at least).

It's a shame to fall apart, especially after my comments about being back in the zone yet I feel like i've learnt something these last few days. Dare I say it, i've actually enjoyed seeing my family once the edge was taken off and my thoughts silenced. I feel like I have a clear goal now. I shall weigh in tomorrow and report my gain. I'm expecting anywhere from 3-7 pounds (mainly water I hope, especially as I stuck to it for a while and lost some water weight at the beginning of the week).

Tomorrow it all begins. Again. I've said it before and failed but I feel like this last week has been my wake up call. I will fight for every pound and every gram. I'm so tired of this battle. I was overweight at 16 and I knew it. I was overweight in college and I knew it. I was overweight at uni and I knew it. Now i'm overweight at 24, nearing 25 and I know it. I can't believe this battle has defined my life. Sometimes I wonder why I can't seem to do it. Other people cut out bread and go for a walk during their lunch hour, they lose the weight and they can't understand why people like me can't do it. I'm tired of wondering, tired of being depressed, tired of hiding, tired of being the odd one out, tired of being the single one, tired of being the one in a sh1t job held back by their weight, tired of being the one held back from building my life and tired of feeling like a ****ing joke.

I'm not putting up with it any more. Approx 1800 kcals per day. 20g carbs. Lots of walking.

Time for war :mad:. [YOUTUBE]Nickelback This Means War HD - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Just want to say I know exactly how you feel, and it can be done and I am sure this time it is YOUR time to achieve. We are with you every step of the way xx

James,

First of all huge hugs.....!

Secondly, any girl worth their salt would look past the weight and any employer that looks at your weight isn't worth working for!!

You've taken a huge and completely honest step back into low carbing, and you know it works!

6 months has flown for me and I was feeling exactly the same as you! I work in a uniformed role with the public day in day out and I used to feel absolutely disgusting stood there in front of masses of young, slim people!

I still do somedays, but then I remind myself how big I was last September and realise I've come quite far!

Draw a line under the Chinese, and for god sake don't beat yourself up you've had a stressful few days....one of your food triggers as with most of us appears to be stressful situations.....so the moral is learn from it and next time have a better action plan!

I still drink, low carb though, wine, clear spirits etc! I still have Chinese, ribs without sauce, hot n sour soup, chicken with cashew etc and no rice! And I keep all this to a minimum....maybe once a fortnight/month!

Chin up, it'll happen and your still young, so put the past behind and focus on number 1.... We are all behind you and will catch and dust you off if you fall....which will happen occasionally because your human!!

J x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hello James, I am a newbie. Just wanted to offer my support. With regard to eating out I have tried to slow right down with my eating. Also, if you think about it could any of us say we notice how much other people eat on a night out? We think people will notice but they really won't.

Please get yourself in the zone and get back on your horse! You have a long life ahead of you to enjoy. Oh and one last thing I took off 3 stone with Lighter Life 4 years ago, I put it all back on again within a year. We have all done it. Dont beat yourself up.

Annie

Morning James... Refreshingly honest post and it certainly sounds like the penny has dropped... Fantastic first step by posting all the crap on here... Just take it day by day / meal by meal... And we're all here for you! Xxx

Back