20 somethings

Just wear smart casual for the christening hun, something you will be comfortable travelling in and wearing all day. Black pants with a nice top and maybe a Cardigan will be fine. I'm catholic and go to church every Sunday and the rules are definitely relaxed (I go in jeans and a top every week) and plenty others wear jeans too, but for a christening it's a special occasion so I'd go slightly smarter. You don't need a hat though lol :) maybe a nice summery dress if you have one you're comfortable in? Xx

Ooh Sammy, my family are all Catholic. Irish and Italians mostly. If I went to Mass with them in jeans I'd be beaten round the head! It's funny, when my grandad came to this country he had no idea that there were people who didn't believe in God.

So wish I could carry off a hat still. Any excuse! Can't wait to wear my skirt. It's a fitted 16 and SO pretty. Should still fit next month unless I rediscover cake. Seeing people I've not seen in 6 years, most of them anyway, two i saw last year. I'm now lighter than when I left there, and much lighter than last year! I think I should go shopping for everyone. I love shopping!

Haha bless your grandad :) I'm quite new to being catholic to be honest, I was never christened as a child as my parents wanted me to decide for myself when I was older. My fiancé is catholic but never forced it on me as I'm the kind of person that if someone tries to force me to do something I'll go against it even more. I grew up not really believing in much of anything, but then the last few years were hard, in just under a two year period from may 2009 to november 2010 my step dad suddenly died, my nan nearly died, my sister had to have an emergency operation, I got sick, my dad collapsed, my niece was born stillborn, my nephew died and then my Nanna died. it was the worst time of my life, and until my Nanna passed away and had a CofE funeral there had not been any religious aspects to any of the other funerals. I found that it comforted me more and it got me to think about religion and I decided I wanted to start going to church. I spoke to my fiancé about it and said I'd like to go to learn more about it and I'd make up my mind what I wanted to do then, and as he was catholic that's where we started. We began attending mass January 2011 and have been most Sunday's since. I know it's not for everyone, but it helped me tremendously, especially while we were trying to have a baby and month after month it wasn't happening. I eventually fell pregnant with my son jack who is three and a half months old now :) and I'm due to go under instruction soon so that I can get baptised next year before we get married. If someone had told me five years ago that I'd want to be catholic then I'd have laughed as I had no religious inclinations what so ever. They are much more relaxed then they were though, so im told, ben and I have had a child 'out of wedlock' lol and not a single person at church has said anything, and like I said, most people wear jeans to mass, though you do get the older generation dressing up, and ben has been trying to get me to dress up too, but I have to get up early enough to get me and jack ready as it is, I'm not getting up even earlier to dress up when jack will probably end up being sick on me or something just before we go out the door! Lol! But the first time I went to mass I was worried what to wear as I thought people all wore 'Sunday best' and ben said jeans and a top would be fine and it was. I did struggle to find something to wear for jacks baptism though, I was feeling really down about my weight (even though I'd already lost all my baby weight) and I didn't feel comfortable in anything. I finally found a light wool type dress which wasn't too bad, I was just worried that it was a bit obscene as my boobs are so big and although it wasn't low cut, it didn't disguise them either lol but I've lost a stone and 5 lbs since then and I managed to buy a pair of size 16 jeans in the sale the other say that actually go up and do up! I still have a bit of a muffin top at the front, so won't wear them in public just yet until I've lost a little more weight, but 7 weeks ago I was a size 20 and a 16 wouldn't even go over my thighs! So I'm chuffed with the result :)

I need you as my personal shopper, that skirt sounds lovely! I'm awful at shopping, I hate it because most of my life more often than not I've just ended up crying in the changing rooms when I'm trying to find something nice so I just normally stick to my jeans and dark tops as I can look semi decent in them.

Wow, this has turned into a bit of an essay! Well done if you read right to the end!! Lol! Xx

Thanks for the extra tips, I don't know if it will be CofE or Catholic but I suspect Catholic, it makes me feel much better hearing from someone who goes regularly that things are a bit more relaxed these days as I was worried it would be really formal, all I know it there will be a mass/service followed by the christening...do you have any idea on how long this is likely to be?

I would wear jeans if I thought I could get away with it (first thing I asked when I heard about it was can I wear jeans and got a very firm no haha) but I think as it's a christening I'll go with either a summer dress I have already got or work trousers and a nice top, I am so pleased I can wear something I already have as I thought I may of had to get something new and would have had to come and find you Fran to make you take me shopping haha :)

Well I have three or four weeks so I will be following this with no cheats and doing extra exercise along with starting 30 Day Shread once it arrives so hope I can make a difference in that time.

Sammy I can not believe what you have been through and to see you come out the other side is unbelievable, when you hear things like that it really does put things in to perspective, personally I am not religious but I know how much comfort it can bring people so I am really pleased you have found something to help you through such tough times as really you had everything thrown at you all at once. Your weight loss is so amazing and you may not have got your groups woman of the year award but I'd vote for you as our woman of the year on here xx

Star let me know what day u will be starting your shred and I wilk start the same day so we got someone to keep us motivated everyday :)

Sammy, So glad you have found something to get you through those hard times. I'm a bit like you, happy for people to believe whatever so long as it doesn't hurt anyone and they don't try to force it on me. The local vicar lives on my road and knowing him on a personal level (mum got him drunk at the christmas do!) and reading his articles in the local parish magazine I realised it's not so formal anymore (and CofE seems less formal than catholic). I'm even going to the "play and pray" group at the scout hut come september. I went to a CofE primary school, and they stopped doing the lords prayer and hymns at my secondary school (state grammar) when I was in my GCSEs so I more than know my lords prayer should it be called on (though I don't think it will be).

I LOVE shopping. It made no difference what size I was/am I love it.

Star thank you hunny, that's really nice of you. If the christening is being held during a normal mass like my sons baptism was then depending how long normal mass is (usually 50 minutes to an hour at our church) you're probably looking at 15-20 minutes on top of that I would think. Jacks took an hour and a quarter. However, if it's after mass and a private ceremony it will probably be a lot shorter than that. :) xx

Star let me know what day u will be starting your shred and I wilk start the same day so we got someone to keep us motivated everyday :)

My DVD hasn't arrived yet but as soon as it does I will start it, if it isn't here by Thursday I will start it then using the stuff on Youtube, I am both excited and dreading it so the shared motivation will really help! I would start tomorrow but I have to take my car to the garage so I don't know if or even when I'll be in but I have recently been ripped off by a garage so I am having to take it elsewhere to get that work fixed and also another issue now so dreading the bill :(

Star thank you hunny, that's really nice of you. If the christening is being held during a normal mass like my sons baptism was then depending how long normal mass is (usually 50 minutes to an hour at our church) you're probably looking at 15-20 minutes on top of that I would think. Jacks took an hour and a quarter. However, if it's after mass and a private ceremony it will probably be a lot shorter than that. :) xx

It's true, I am jealous in a good way haha as I am so pleased you are doing so well but can't want to get my own first stone off :) I will just plan for an hour and half then and see what happens. I think it will be about the same as your sons but I guess until the day I won't know so I'll go with an open mind and try to enjoy the occasion.

Thats why im glad I dont drive, so many people out there trying to rip u off in one way or another and then insurance and tax the biggest rip off of the lot lol I will start thursday then aswell :) I hate doing it on a day I work as im always so knackered but since I work 3 days its got to be done lol

Hey guys, haven't been in here in a while! Been on hols for the past 4 weeks so have inevitably gained some weight! Started afresh on Sunday at 9st 12lbs. I THINK my end target is going to be in the 8s but for now I'm working to get to 9 stone!

Hope everyone's been doing well and that the weight has been falling off :)

Hi jemna, did u have a good hol?

Exactly, holidays are for enjoying and then correcting later lol

Thats why im glad I dont drive, so many people out there trying to rip u off in one way or another and then insurance and tax the biggest rip off of the lot lol I will start thursday then aswell :) I hate doing it on a day I work as im always so knackered but since I work 3 days its got to be done lol

I was really screwed over by the last Garage but had no choice but to pay for the work as they'd destroyed my brakes (claiming they dissintegrated in their hands - utter rubbish) so I went somewhere new, as a friend reccomended it, and they were great, turns out my car was making screaching/chrunching noises as the last place had not fitted the brakes properly so it was a massive accident waiting to happen!! :flamingmad:Thankfully this new place fixed it and they did it for free :) I had a few years without a car and was fine without it but having it does make life easier, even just for shopping etc. Luckily my insurance isn't too bad plus as my car is a diesel tax is only £30 a year :D

My DVD came yesterday so Day 1 today, I will give it my best shot but I know it's unlikely I will do it every day as I will still go to the gym for gym/swim/classes etc but I aim for at least every other day. Good luck for us!!

@Jenna - welcome back - good to hear you had a good time, where did you go? I would love a holiday as I haven't had one for a couple of years so when I do finally get one I will enjoy it and then get back on plan when I come back :)

Also weigh in for me today, I am going from first thing Monday morning to 7pm on a Thursday so I am worried I will have a gain because of the change of day and time. I have stuck 90% as I have been really ill with a cold which is still lingering in my chest so I haven't had an appetite and have been taking lots of cough medicine which is probably high syn so it could go either way.

Haha thats what my OH is for to carry the shopping lol bless him, I probably wont do it every day either as I wont get the tv on sundays and tuesday I work a late shift so probs wont then either as I dont wanna be exercising before work, good luck with the weigh in, I may weigh in the morning before I go to beer festival lol then normal on monday just to see although im still getting to grips with the plan so may take a few weeks to really get into it as im doing it alone

HI Ladies, havent been on here in a while, its great to see you're all still doing so well. And everyone seems to love that 30 day shred! If my DVD player hadnt packed in I'd be doing it with you all as well. Im sticking to my rower and swimming and see if that helps.

Congrats on all your achievements guys :D

@CH2B - I have to go shopping on my own otherwise I end up coming back having spent loads but without actually getting anything to make any meals with and will go off track. I think as you're doing it at home you have the freedom to weigh in today and then have your next weigh in not next monday the one after? That way you can still enjoy your weekend and then you have the chance to rectify any damage.

@Natalie - welcome back. Thanks for your kind words.

Looks like all three of us will be trying 30 Days shred...well I did it for the first time today. OMG!!!!! It is so hard, it looks easy but then doing it is a whole different thing. I kept going but I had to pause if half way through for a breather lol. I now know I can't do press ups so kind of made up my own version or that thing when you lie on your back and bring your legs up just hurt my lower back so couldn't do that well because of the pain. I could not have managed without my sports bra and my wobbly belly got in the way so next time I will wear my swimming costume to hold it all in haha :) I can see how people get quick results from it but it has truly tired me out and I have a 15 min walk to group to look forward to later :)

lol i have had to improvise on alot of the excercises as i have a problem with my spine and lying on the floor nearly kills me lol i was using cushions off the settee to lie on as a bit of softness but now we got a new one were the cushions dont come off so will have to hope the new rug is soft enough lol im aching so badly from work today im dreading doing the shred today i usually do it about 7ish to give myself time to rest my back from work lol

Stargirl yea ur right i like knowing i have the freedom to weigh whenever and not worry about if ive lost or not although could probably do with that worry as it would keep me being good, im doing as good as i can be so far lol although i had natural yoghurt today, omg it is disgusting! dont think i will be having that again lol will have to get some muller lights instead!

Welcome back natalie, i love the rowing machine, my dad has one collecting dust if it wasnt so heavy i would have borrowed it by now lol we have a treadmill but its not the same as the feeling i get after a good rowing session.

Jenna you look like your doing well without the shred so just keep doing what your doing, obviously its working for you! Maybe when your at your target weight you can just use it to tone up or something.

Back