2015 and It's Now or Never!

Tuesday 23rd September 2014

Have been so busy this last few days and really pleased that I have managed to get to the last few things to be sorted for collection on Thursday by BHF charity. Quite excited at the thought of seeing my bedroom looking nice for a change instead of a junk store.

Took back the Phillips radio.. don't know why I got that as I particularly wanted a clock radio. They are very good at returns there and I did end up with a Roberts clock radio which are supposed to be very good... has good ratings according to WHICH.

Today I have had another massage and Hopi treatment which is great.
Haven't lost any more weight this week but I'm really concentrating on lowering my cholesterol and salt levels for the time being.

Hows things going Emm?:)

I'm not around much as real life is getting in my way.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the visit Mary...Life's got a habit of doing that hey!

Didn't see the point of posting daily as I'm now not trying to lose more weight. Staying the same is about all it's likely to be now methinks.

Had to call in to the car garage to ask them to look at my windscreen washer which turned out to be blocked.. cost me £30 just to clear it. Whilst I was there I decided to look into getting an automatic and with space in the boot for a mobility scooter. The one the salesman eventually came up with was quite a few hundred over my possible budget which he said they could arrange financing for but at an additional cost of £130 to open the account and a final £130 to close it..!!?!! .. err.. I don't think so!
However, on reflection the one he had suggested is a much bigger car which I really don't want .. plus the boot whilst being really spacious was very high, a point that I had made initially was to have a very low one for me to be able to get the scooter in and out easily especially as I am very short.
I was quite surprised at myself as I used to tremble at the thought of even going into these male orientated places but I found I was able to be very confident and assertive saying that I had expected a much better trade in price for my car plus some extra additions like a years tax. The boss came to see me and I was able to strike a pretty good deal altho' today when the salesman phoned I told him I had wanted a smaller car with a much lower boot and I would be calling in next week to see what he has been able to sort out for me... I don't know what's coming over me these days! :D

Had a lovely chat with my youngest D this morning which brightened up my day no end.

Cavegirl beat me to it Em - was shopping today and wondering if you were OK or simply busy. Glad to hear you are well, and go you for sorting out the car salesman!

Cavegirl beat me to it Em - was shopping today and wondering if you were OK or simply busy. Glad to hear you are well, and go you for sorting out the car salesman!

Thanks MW...I am reading your diary even tho' I'm not posting to it.
I just feel I have so much going on at the mo' that I can't get my thoughts straight.. Poor old biddie!.. :boohoo:

I've been awol for a few days - down at the apartment.
If you are seriously looking at a new car then look at the Ford KA.
Mum had one of these and the boot is pretty low, we could get her walker in it relatively easily and the back seats fold flat and then there is actually uggins of space in the back. She loved it. And was really sorry when she had to give up driving and sell it. Wish I could have afforded to to keep it in the UK and not sell it.
When I moved her from her house to the flat I used this to transport everything from the house to either the flat, charity shop or the tip and I have to say I fell in love with it too. It is so easy to drive for various height people. Mum is only 5'2" and I'm 5'7" and my bro is almost 6' and even he could fit into it!
The other option is a Vauxhall Corsa which is what she had before the KA and we've hired many times on our trips back to the UK.
Boot relatively low but not as good as the KA.

Morning Em,

My friend S had a Ka and she was able to easily put in and take out her massage table and supplies.
We have an automatic Corsa (we bought it for DS as he learned to drive in the US and only knew how to drive an automatic) and with the seat down there is a surprising amount of room in the car. And, both are low.

I've been awol for a few days - down at the apartment.
If you are seriously looking at a new car then look at the Ford KA.
Mum had one of these and the boot is pretty low, we could get her walker in it relatively easily and the back seats fold flat and then there is actually uggins of space in the back. She loved it. And was really sorry when she had to give up driving and sell it. Wish I could have afforded to to keep it in the UK and not sell it.
When I moved her from her house to the flat I used this to transport everything from the house to either the flat, charity shop or the tip and I have to say I fell in love with it too. It is so easy to drive for various height people. Mum is only 5'2" and I'm 5'7" and my bro is almost 6' and even he could fit into it!
The other option is a Vauxhall Corsa which is what she had before the KA and we've hired many times on our trips back to the UK.
Boot relatively low but not as good as the KA.

Hi Bev, Thanks for the visit..That's great info on the car front.
My car at the mo' is a Corsa and the boot is too small to get even the smallest scooter into it plus I really need an automatic now as my back is getting much worse which in turn affects my ability to use my left leg and therefore the clutch.

Morning Em,

My friend S had a Ka and she was able to easily put in and take out her massage table and supplies.
We have an automatic Corsa (we bought it for DS as he learned to drive in the US and only knew how to drive an automatic) and with the seat down there is a surprising amount of room in the car. And, both are low.

Interesting point about the Corsa Mel but I was told by the salesman that the automatic is not being produced now.. However, I have to be able to store the scooter in the boot being as I have nowhere else to keep it with me being in a first floor flat and lots of steps to manoeuvre if trying to put it in my shed in the back garden.
Great to have another one to look into anyway thanks.

WOAH!!! keep it up

Thanks for the comment Sarah.

Emm - do you have a scooter? I thought you just had a walker?
How do you go on lifting it in and out of the boot as they are blumin' heavy!

Emm - do you have a scooter? I thought you just had a walker?
How do you go on lifting it in and out of the boot as they are blumin' heavy!

I don't have a scooter at the mo' but I have researched the weight and measurements of the lightest one for future purchase and the walker I have is also the lightest one available too being 6.35kgs which I find is quite okay... with a bit of determination... for lifting in and out of the car.
This being disabled can be so different from one person to another as I was chatting with my neighbour who is disabled with a bad back and finds it difficult to carry a bag with a few groceries in and yet spends an hour or so in her garden on occasion cutting back bushes etc. which I find impossible to do! As they say.. to each his own..!

They make hoists you can install in your car for assisting with loading and unloading a scooter. V40 Wheelchair & Scooter Boot Hoist | Elap Mobility | Disabled Vehicle Adaptations, Homecare & Personal Mobility Products The Elap V40 is suitable for most estate vehicles & MPV's. It can also be used in some hatchbacks & saloon vehicles. Please contact us for conformation that the V40 is suitable for you vehicle.

Looks good Mel but a bit beyond my purse for the time being altho' will be something to aim for later.

Sunday 28th September 2014

Had a fairly good day with very little pain which is wonderful. Unfortunately I'm getting some very bad fluid retention in my feet and ankles so will have to see the doctor about that next week.
Still aiming to see the practice manager to discuss the continual faux pas by my doc which I feel is now well past a joke. Also need to phone the council as the gnawing and scraping sound in the bedroom continues which I am supposing may be a wasps nest in the eaves... soo annoying at night time as it sounds very loud then.

Managed to keep my sodium levels down today with a total of 1236mg which I am pleased with.. and cals 1168 as well.

. . . Also need to phone the council as the gnawing and scraping sound in the bedroom continues which I am supposing may be a wasps nest in the eaves... soo annoying at night time as it sounds very loud then.
Err methinks that gnawing and scraping may be something other than wasps. Sounds more like mice or bats.
Get the council in FAST - if it's mice they can cause serious damage to elctrics etc. The council will get rid of them.
If it's bats then they can be a lot more tricky to get rid of as they are a protected species and they have to be enticed to go elsewhere.

Err methinks that gnawing and scraping may be something other than wasps. Sounds more like mice or bats. Get the council in FAST - if it's mice they can cause serious damage to elctrics etc. The council will get rid of them. If it's bats then they can be a lot more tricky to get rid of as they are a protected species and they have to be enticed to go elsewhere.
The mice have badly damaged the wiring in the garage on this house - the electrician has done a report and we send it to the owner and he is legally required to sort it.

Last edited:
The mode have badly damaged the wiring in the garage on this house - the electrician has done a report and we send it to the owner and he is legally required to sort it.

Mode ??? I'm assuming you mean mice Mel :8855:
The council are Emms landlords I think so they'll get it sorted pretty damn quick.
The council are actually pretty good at these sort of things.
We had a massive wasps nest in our garden (well 2 actually) and even though it was our own house you can just call out the council pest control officer and they will come and sort it out. They charged us £25 - quotes from private company's were at least double that.
Worth remembering!

And mice in garages that cause damage are not necessarily a landlords obligation to repair (remember I'm a landlord).
In any case of damage, if negligence on the part of the tennant can be proven then the landlord is not liable and the tennant can be made to pay for the repairs. Negligence includes leaving doors and windows open that allow ingress of animals or water.

Not mice I know but just quoted that as a reference to the sort of noise... however, phone call to council this morning and I have to get someone to verify what it actually is as they don't do "investigations" would you believe! If I said wasps then the "wasp" person will be sent at the cost of £65 non returnable which means if it's not then I would have to pay that and obviously get no satisfaction.
The sound seems to be coming from the vent that is in the actual window frame but nothing is visible... I can only surmise that it's some sort of beetle perhaps that has set up a nest in there... Hopefully it will have a life cycle and will eventually migrate.. in the meantime VERY ANNOYING!!

Also phoned the BHF as I had filled in their online collection form stating two days convenient for collection to be made without hearing anything from them only to be told that I need to ring them to make arrangements. What's the point of having an online form one wonders? Friday was the first day so I had got everything stacked up near the door... phone call just received only to find that the things that they will accept is very restricted and not at all in line with that stated on the website and they will only take four boxes full anyway... words fail me!

Mode ??? I'm assuming you mean mice Mel :8855: The council are Emms landlords I think so they'll get it sorted pretty damn quick. The council are actually pretty good at these sort of things. We had a massive wasps nest in our garden (well 2 actually) and even though it was our own house you can just call out the council pest control officer and they will come and sort it out. They charged us £25 - quotes from private company's were at least double that. Worth remembering! And mice in garages that cause damage are not necessarily a landlords obligation to repair (remember I'm a landlord). In any case of damage, if negligence on the part of the tennant can be proven then the landlord is not liable and the tennant can be made to pay for the repairs. Negligence includes leaving doors and windows open that allow ingress of animals or water.

I'm sure as heck not paying. The garage is not "water or air tight" and the doors and window are not left opened - but there is enough gap under the garage door for more than mice to squeeze in. A mouse can fit through a opening the size of a US quarter (about a 10 p piece).

I had considered that and as the cost for a pest controller can be around £65 a can of spray at about a fiver is a good start.

Might backfire on her, though. Be careful.

Back