2015 and It's Now or Never!

Saturday 17th January 2015

Very good day.. (whispering)..aches and pains almost negligible today..HOORAY!

Up early and heard all the C&W music which was fab.. except I could strangle that presenter sometimes the way he waffles on.

Not done anything exciting apart from ordering a pair of those things to put in my boots for storing them, plus a proper sized stapler as I only have a teeny one that I now find very difficult to use now my fingers are sensitive.. and a little travel alarm clock. I bought one some few weeks ago from one of those cheap shops and it looks lovely but the cap that holds the battery in place keeps popping out. Not worth the bother of returning it tbh.
Then made a chicken korma with a bottle of the ready made sauce and had a portion for my evening meal with some pasta. Put the pasta on to boil and forgot about it so some rather crispy burnt flavoured pasta was a bearable addition..:D

Really ready for a conscientious start to getting back on my diet.
Isn't it just great when your head is in the right place!

Cals 1224 Carbs 151 Sodium 1152

Last edited:
Monday contd:

Another good day. Went out and had lunch at Costa's.. actually it was about 2.30pm before I eventually got there..and then took a walk around the store instead of using the mobility scooter. Avoided all the biscuits and confectionery aisles and bought some more lovely big oranges and some raspberries.
Was looking for a key fob and searched every shelf without success and then saw some in the Timpsons outlet.
Managed to get my sewing machine out again this morning in order to sew the waist hem which I had done by hand but as the material is quite stretchy it keeps coming undone.
That done successfully I thought I would make a fitted sheet from one of the flat sheets for my bed.
I do like my sheets to be tucked in nice and firmly and neat but having an adjustable bed means it all comes untethered when raising the head. Unfortunately it's turned out to be a harder job than I expected especially as I shall need to add a bit on the length.
Broke a needle and then couldn't get it to stitch at all until I realised I had put it in the wrong way round!..Tomorrow I'll have another go at it .. not going to be defeated!

Food-wise everything pretty good...Counts a bit high but then balanced out with my activity today.

Tuesday 20th January 2015

Gorgeous sunny day even tho' it's cold it's so lovely with all that sunshine.

I'm beaming with satisfaction .. Just before Xmas I had a bit of a splurge and had a good idea that I might get overdrawn at the bank but chose to ignore it with the result I have incurred about £60 fees..However, K&Co phoned me this morning with an explanation as to my double payment of £79.. which I know is def not so..but I'm not arguing this time and a £79 cheque is on the way to me.. :D

. . . Just before Xmas I had a bit of a splurge and had a good idea that I might get overdrawn at the bank but chose to ignore it with the result I have incurred about £60 fees..
Another bit of advice from this ex banker.
Never ignore things if you are going to go overdrawn. Call you bank and get an arranged overdraft.
That way they will charge you far less.
For unarranged overdrafts, noy only will you be charged interest, which often at a higher rate, but there will be transaction charges as well.
I'm with Nationewide and they charge £30 if you go overdrawn without an arrangement for the 1st transaction and more for every other one as well!

Another bit of advice from this ex banker.
Never ignore things if you are going to go overdrawn. Call you bank and get an arranged overdraft.
That way they will charge you far less.
For unarranged overdrafts, noy only will you be charged interest, which often at a higher rate, but there will be transaction charges as well.
I'm with Nationewide and they charge £30 if you go overdrawn without an arrangement for the 1st transaction and more for every other one as well!

Thanks Bev.. It was one of those occasions when I was getting all het up about the travelling and couldn't think straight!
I do have a small O/draft and should have phoned the bank but it's such a palava going thro' all those steps and entering loads of numbers before you can actually speak to someone!

The thing that annoys me most is that my pension goes in on a Friday and shows on my account as such but then come the Monday they ignore it, post any outgoings and then add my pension on (again) which gives a totally different aspect on things.. :confused:

Wednesday 21st January 2015

Bloomin' cold again.. :gen125: .. expect it's the same in most places.

Home help came today and we had a lovely chat... everything looking spick and span now.
Had a phone call from my D yesterday and their coffee shop is doing really well. Unfortunately she is not at all well herself and now she is suffering from really bad high blood pressure as well.

Still struggling with the job of making a fitted sheet! YouTube and the like make it look so easy.. only got to fix elastic or ties to the corners and we shall see...(she says hopefully!)

Food gone very well today in fact I'm well below my calorie count even with a yogurt and biscuits counted in for supper.

Thursday 22nd January 2015

Wide awake all night... kept trying to go to sleep by doing breathing and relaxation exercises but didn't work and then at about 7am watching TV I dropped off in my armchair and woke 3hrs later with a blinding headache as the heating was on and the room was roasting!.. :sigh:
It did ease off a bit later on so I was able to keep my hair appointment this afternoon and having rushed to get there on time she had obviously fitted in another client and I had to wait nearly 15mins before she started on me.
Nothing else of any import to post except eating 3 hot X buns and foregoing the vegetables tonight.. Def NOT GOOD that! :argh:

Friday 23rd January 2015

Another odd sort of night and decided to bunk down on the settee.
Got up about 7 and had some breakfast and then dozed off and didn't wake up until just after 11.30! By the time I got dressed and grabbed some lunch I whizzed off to the U3A "Good Old Days" group.
6 of us altogether and thank goodness the chatterbox woman wasn't too bad at all.
We started off by having a look at a little rocking chair her husband had made out of pegs many years ago and were asked to relate any memories or experiences of either owning one (a full sized one.. ) or knowing anyone who had one.
Then she read out a poem (parody) of "These beautiful things" from the Sound of Music and we related experiences as to anything contained in the poem.

Maalox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favourite things..

Cadillacs and cataracts and hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
These are a few of my favourite things.

When the pipes leak,
When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad
I simply remember my favourite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets, and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heat pads and hot meals they bring,
These are a few of my favourite things.

Back pains, confused brains, and no fear of sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favourite things.

When the joints ache,
when the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Very amusing and enjoyable...then finished off by singing rounds of London's Burning and a cuppa with a bun. .. haven't laughed as much in a long while!

Diet gone well:

Cals 1311 Carbs 168 Sodium 1045

Saturday 24th January 2015

Another very sunny but very cold day. Much better night altho' aches were pretty bad first thing but soon managed to get moving. Heard all of the C&W music on radio Norfolk which was terrific.. starts my weekend in good form.

Made an appointment for a TV technician to come in on Monday afternoon to check that the installation of my bedroom TV is okay as it is making such a loud hum and also to have it put up on the wall as well. Specifically told the young lady that afternoons are best for me and explained why .. That was on Thursday last and every morning at 9.30 they have rung me to say "We can come today if you like".. which is really annoying as I just don't like being disturbed at that time especially if I've had a bad night! I explained again in a much more somber vain and hope that they will not be calling me again tomorrow morning otherwise I am likely to explode!!

Made another banana cake which I promptly put in the freezer to assist in my ability to refrain from devouring a large portion! :gimi:
Apart from that it's been a day of watching lots of Judge Judy and Road Wars... love to see people getting their come-uppance! :D

Cals 1379 Carbs 186 Sodium 822
Must work on lowering the carbs... :sigh:

Sunday 25th January 2015

Still very cold altho' the sun has been out quite a bit.
Quite a good night for a change.. had my usual 2-3 visits to the loo but was able to get back to sleep okay.

Diet gone very well and managed to keep my carbs a lot lower too which I'm pleased about.
Counts: Cals 1302+32 Carbs 92+1 Sodium 1922+79

Last edited:
Monday contd:

Despite my explaining my situation there was another phone call at 9.30 this morning from the TV company with the usual "we are in your area so we can call in 10mins time"..
Told them not to bother to send anyone at all seeing as they couldn't take note of my request.

Think I may well get some of that warm touch linoleum flooring for my bathroom. I'm always moaning about how cold it is in there and the new flooring they (the council) put down when it was refurbished is like a coloured cement and is freezing to walk on. I did put down rugs but they're not very sanitary when one has a tendency to have the odd little accident or two...Why I haven't thought of it before I don't know!

Diet gone very well. Counts: Cals [STRIKE]1296[/STRIKE]1330 Carbs [STRIKE]109 [/STRIKE]114 Sodium [STRIKE]1822
[/STRIKE]1924

Last edited:
Tuesday 27th January 2015

Woke up with back pain then within half an hour it had eased off a lot.. Hooray!

Sewing group this afternoon and another person came as well.
Almost finished off my little place mat, just want to embroider round the inside circle.
Have to think up something else now.

Not been quite as cold here today.

Counts: Cals 1200 Carbs 120 Sodium 2308

Thursday 29th January 2015

Yesterday I had an appointment with the podiatrist at the Community centre and a very nice person she was.. such a change from the rather po-faced ones I've seen in the past.

From there I went to the N&N hospital to have my DB check blood test and had to park at the furthest end of the car park. The walk into the hospital took me a good 10mins against an absolutely bone chilling wind which almost blew me over a couple of times.

I then debated as to whether to go to B&Q to get some new water filters for my "under sink" type unit. Having always bought them from there it was very disappointing to find that they no longer stock them plus they do not have any mobility scooters now. However, one of the staff volunteered to take me round in an ordinary wheelchair which I was very grateful for.
By the time I arrived home I was my usual exhausted and grabbed something for a meal and went to bed!

Today I have been quite busy sorting a lot of paperwork, catching up with the washing and tidying around the place. Found somewhere online to order my water filter cartridges altho' the price appears to have rocketed.. used to buy them for about £15, now they're £24.40 each!
Still haven't been able to find somewhere that will come and install my TV on the wall.. .. Also got in touch with Argos to return the heater I ordered as it is far too big for the purpose I wanted it. Very surprised that they will be calling tomorrow which is great.

Counts very good today and I must admit as usual I feel so much better for not having eaten a lot of sweet stuff.

Cals 1431 Carbs 117 Sodium 2902

I earned 93 extra cals for having been so busy, Carbs are a bit high as I wanted to finish off some baked beans before they go rank and I have increased my daily intake of sodium to 2000 which seems to be a more realistic ... actually recommended amount 2500

Morning Emm - sounds like you are really keeping busy and managing your food. I am doing th former but not the latter :(

We've had quite a bit of snow and of course it's come in a very busy week though at least none of us had to travel too far. I am feeling very achy too - particularly my hip - probably aggravated by carrying too much weight so I need to get to grips though I have just learned I am losing the one member of staff who is central to our operation. She is the only one who is total office bound and the only one who knows everything that is going on - so stress levels through the roof.

It is so quiet on here these days, isn't it?.
Have a good weekend

Friday 30th January 2015

Another good day .. haven't done anything much apart from putting a grocery order in online for delivery next Wednesday.
Did defrost my freezer and gave the fridge a really good clean so that was something..and rang a guy from Streetlife to come and put my TV on the wall Sunday afternoon.

Counts all gone very well.
Cals 1214 Carbs 103 Sodium 1649

Saturday 31st January 2015

Really bad night... started getting a rash on my arm late in the evening which keeps me awake!. :argh:
Eventually bunked down on the settee and just watched TV.. good job I had plenty recorded stuff.
C&W music was excellent today especially as he didn't speak very much at all.. Yay!! Didn't have to put up with him waffling on... plus the ones he played were tip-top.

Photos of new look of my bedroom now lots of things have been removed.. still have a few more to sort thro'.

New 1 2015.jpgNew 2 2015.jpgNew 3 2015.jpgNew 4 2015.jpg
1st pic-Still some here to go......................................... 4th pic-Need a curtain to put over these shelves which is what the rod is for.

How it used to look -

2-Hoards.jpg1-Hoards.jpg3-Hoards.jpg

Counts today - Cals 1161 Carbs 73 Sodium 2104

Last edited:
Sunday 1st February 2015

This is it! My diet will start in real earnest today!
No more wandering down the aisles to just look at the sweeties and goodies!
They'll still be there when I get to my next goal.. I'm now 13st11.6
lbs (193.6) and I hope to be 11st (154lbs) by the end of the year... that's 39.6lbs to go which equals approx. just under 1 pound per week!

.. .. .. ..
orange-2-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png
broccoli-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

Last edited:
Back