20lbs in 6 weeks

Hope the running's going well. I haven't had much success over the past two weeks so I've upped the fruit intake and lots of water...My SW consultant eats a melon every day so I'm going to see how that works. 2 down, 5 to go!!

So, my diary obviously came to an abrupt halt in November and for a very good reason - I went way way way off the rails!! Can't remember exactly what happened but I pretty much stopped running and went back to my usual eating habbits. I was well aware that short term extreme diets never really work in the long run, but for some reason thought I might be able to pull it off.

Anyway, I got home after Christmas, got on the scales, and to my horror, I was weighing 17st 9 - heavier than ever before. A huge shock to the system. I don't think I've ever felt more disgusted with myself in my life, so took some time to think about how I was going to sort myself out. I decided to start a new diet on 27th December, but to eat a relatively normal amount of food (approx 2000 cals per day). By doing this, I'm full most of the time and don't get tempted to snack. Now obviously that doesn't really create much of a calorie deficit so I've been going to the gym almost every day for an hour, combining weight training with cardio.

As of today, I weigh 16st 7lbs - I feel like the fat is falling off! I've tried so many silly calorie restricting diets before in the hope of a quick fix, but never did I consider just eating sensibly and exercising every day? Not once since I started have I been tempted by junk and I feel healthier then I have in a while.

I thought I'd restart the diary to keep a log of my progress - hopefully many positive updates to follow!!

Fantastic. Well done for getting back into it :)

So evidently, I'm awaful at keeping a diary, but just because I haven't done so, doesn't mean I haven't been having great success. I just came on here to have a read of some of your diaries and while I'm here, though I'd update mine.

I last updated on 15th January, at which point I was 16st 7. This morning I was 15st 7 so I'm down a stone in 6 weeks and my BMI is currently around 27. Strangely, I've just noticed that my original goal weight was 15st 8 so right now I should be completely happy with myself! This is never the case however, and I now want to get down to 14st 4 (BMI of 25).

I've dieted on and off since I was about 19 and this is by far the most success I've had. I beleive the reason behind it is that I allow myself to have bad days; In the past I've practically fasted for weeks on end, only to fall of the wagon after one slip up. It comes off slower this way but It's much more effective in the long term, I think. If I go out to eat, I just eat whatever I want rather than choosing something not particularly tasty on the menu to save a few hundered calories - means I get to feel satisfied occasionally.

So, 17lbs to go and then comes the difficult part - maintaining!

Hey Al, congrats on loosing so much weight, you're really doing well this time around - another advocate for calorie counting!

At the rate you're going you'll hit your next goal in a couple of months, and I'm looking forward to you posting again with your success! :)

Hey Al, congrats on loosing so much weight, you're really doing well this time around - another advocate for calorie counting!

At the rate you're going you'll hit your next goal in a couple of months, and I'm looking forward to you posting again with your success! :)

We being a numbers man certainly helps; get's a bit obsessive at times, constantly converting the meals/drinkins I've had into cals and adding up.. Definitely works for me though, and helps me not to get disheartened when the scales go up when I know it's scientifically impossible for me to have put any fat on!

I do hope a couple of months is all it is but don't want to jynx it! It seems you've done fantastically yourself.

Back