25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

Hi ladies, mind if I join your thread?

my diet started today, and I've got a whole lot to lose so this is going to be a long journey.

finally plucked up the courage to step on the scales this morning and was so upset to see a big fat 27st on the screen.
cant believe I've got myself into this state, but I am determined to get out of it.

starting with the slim fast diet, know that some people probably thinks that's a bad plan, but it has worked for me in the past and is a good start to help me get my portion sizes down.

just had a read through the thread, and I think you have all done amazingly well... REALLLY amazing, and I can only hope to be able to show off some serious pound dropping by Xmas time...

Hi ladies, mind if I join your thread?

my diet started today, and I've got a whole lot to lose so this is going to be a long journey.

finally plucked up the courage to step on the scales this morning and was so upset to see a big fat 27st on the screen.
cant believe I've got myself into this state, but I am determined to get out of it.

starting with the slim fast diet, know that some people probably thinks that's a bad plan, but it has worked for me in the past and is a good start to help me get my portion sizes down.

just had a read through the thread, and I think you have all done amazingly well... REALLLY amazing, and I can only hope to be able to show off some serious pound dropping by Xmas time...

Hi BigBear, this is Helena and it's my thread. Yes of course do jump in. I was almost 27 stone once, at only 5ft 3 so take heart! You aren't the biggest bear on here. Even now my BMI is over 60.

Yes of course I will disapprove of Slim Fast but if that is what it takes then you will HAVE to start like that. Better than staying at 27 stone! But I suggest you take a look at my daily food log. I am eating loads and have lost nearly 8lb in a week. Perhaps my log will inspire you to eat real food instead of that factory-produced frankencrap? I attach them here.

We are all in this together. I will NOT drop out and let everyone down. So you can count on me to be with you Bear till you or I or both reach 14stone.

Helena 18 aug.jpg15 aug.jpg14aug.jpg13 aug.jpg12 aug.jpg9 aug sat.jpg10aug.jpg11 aug.jpg

Up at 6am and spent 2 hrs cleaning out kitchen cupboards and rearranging and chucking out old stuff. Felt more energy than I have for months. Even standing up for 2 hrs did not hurt me like it did a week ago.

Have felt absolutely STARVING hungry all day long. By 4pm weak and shaky with hunger, yet I only have 400 calories left for the entire day, so cannot eat what I would like to. OMG I could demolish a plate of fish n chips right now! I should not get THIS hungry but what can I do? I have to save up the 400 for later.

I guess I have just been lucky so far, and there ARE going to be days when I feel hungrier than others.

Oh god I am just drooling now thinking of fish n chips. But I cannot: that would be 1,200 calories. Better to have two rounds of sandwiches and two big mugs of tea and go over by about 200 than give in and binge.

Tummy is literally rumbling!

Edited to add: I cracked and have eaten 600c, total for day 2,000. Feel guilty.

Last edited:
Morning
Tesco - British Charlotte Potatoes, 300 g22848g1g5g0mg0mg4g3g
Quick Added Calories, 260 calories2600g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Afternoon
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices82g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Tesco - Thin Smoked Ham, 30 g320g1g5g0mg1mg0g0g
Plums - Raw, 2 fruit (2-1/8" dia)6115g0g1g0mg0mg13g2g
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 4 slices (41GRAM20036g2g12g0mg340mg0g8g
Tesco - Eat Fresh Salad Tomatoes, 1 Tomato (80g)163g0g1g0mg40mg3g1g
Tesco - Southern Fried Flavour Chicken, 6 slice841g1g17g0mg240mg1g0g
Last meal
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 4 slices (41GRAM20036g2g12g0mg340mg0g8g
Tesco - Southern Fried Flavour Chicken, 4 slice560g1g12g0mg160mg0g0g
Tesco - Thin Smoked Ham, 30 g320g1g5g0mg1mg0g0g
Green Giant - No Added Sugar Sweetcorn 40g, 22 g152g0g1g0mg0mg0g1g
Philadelphia - Lightest, 90 g875g3g11g0mg330mg5g0g
Drinks/treats
Twinnings - Various Fruit Tea, 4 cup80g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Cadbury (Uk) - Fudge, 24.5 g (1 bar)11519g4g1g0mg40mg16g0g
Carrots - Raw, 1 small (5-1/2" long)215g0g0g0mg35mg2g1g
Tesco - British Whole Milk, 100 ml655g4g3g0mg40mg5g0g
Weightwatchers - Toffee & Honeycomb Sundae, 2 pot23836g3g3g0mg0mg26g12g
TOTAL:1,726213g23g89g0mg1,568mg76g36g

THIS IS YESTERDAY'S FOOD.
I AM GOING TO STOP EATING THAT WEIGHTWATCHERS FRANKENCRAP!

I think that may be a good idea Helena, personally I never touch it and would rather spend a few extra calories on real food.

I really wouldn't worry too much about eating 2000 cals a day after all that is the recommended intake for an average woman. If you are hungry eat, if you don't it will only lead to eating the contents of the fridge.

I'd suggest looking for higher fibre foods to help you feel fuller, maybe a wholemeal pitta instead of the WW bread. I find crackers/crispbreads more satisfying than bread. I think it's the crunch that makes me feel fuller.

My latest find is the Danio greek yogurt mini pots 0% fat and around 80-90 cals a pot.

thanks for the welcome Helena,

took a peek at your food diary, thanks for sharing. I did find it really interesting, and I fully appreciate and understand that proper food is definitely preferable, but in know that I need a really strict, portion controlled approach to get me going. Will definitely be looking to move over to proper food once I get more settled.

trouble is... I'm greedy, so if I prepare my own meals and snacks, I know that I always find ways to cheat, or sneak in extra food etc. I am going to start food diary with MFP, it looks like a really useful tool.

Really appreciate the support Helena. we will do this!!

My punishment for going over my 1700 calorie allowance by 400 to 2100 was a weight GAIN of 1.4lb. I am absolutely gutted!

Now I want to stick to 1300 today to compensate for yesterday's lapse. But as I have already had breakfast by 7.30 I don't see how I am going to stick to that unless I go to bed at 6pm!

No Helena No. That is impossible you didn't eat an extra 4900 calories. The only thing you have gained is a little water retention. Just eat your daily allowance as normal it will soon disappear, upping your water intake will help flush it out.

If you are getting "real" hunger pangs i.e. rumbly tummy & weakness then you really need to eat more, or split your meals into two portions and eat every 3-4 hours. Today my meal plan goes something like this:

Breakfast 6.45
1 egg omlette with mushrooms & tomatoes
1 mug home made butternut squash soup
1 glass hot water

Mid Morning
100g watermelon
1 Laughing Cow dip n' crunch snack pot

Lunch 1.00
1 - wholemeal pitta
50g wafer thin ham
lettuce/toms/cucumber
1 - cheese triangle
1 - donut peach

Mid-afternoon
100g raspberries
1 Alpen light

Dinner - 7.30
125g salmon fillet
150g new potatoes
100g peas/carrots
parsley sauce

Running at approx 1500 cals which leaves room for late night snack if wanted as I am aiming for 1850-1900 a day at present

You can do this it is just a matter of finding an eating routine that satisfies your hunger properly. It takes a while to do that.

Hi Tranq

Thanks for your reassuring comments and for sharing your food diary day. Tell me about this new craze of donut peaches ~ do they taste any different to a regular peach?

I feel absolutely RAVENOUS again this morning and I cannot stop either eating or thinking about food. I am already up to 678 calories today and it is only 9.30! Thank goodness my b/f is coming to collect me and take me up to see the work he has done in his garden. That will get me away from my blasted fridge.

What is more, I feel really COLD, though it's warm and sunny.

What is wrong with me? I did fantastically well for 9 consecutive days without a single hunger pang. Some days I was so full and satisfied after just 1200 or 1500c that I didn't even eat up to my allowance. Surely my 2-hour burst of domestic activity yesterday morning cannot be responsible for my being ravenous today? The other coincident event was my first instance of eating those WW frozen desserts. Could it be THOSE that are making me so ravenous? Maybe they caused a blood-glucose "spike-and-crash" in me? In any case, they are all gone now and I will never buy them again! Sweet treats are going to be only FRUIT and plain live yoghurt from now on. Better to get frankenfoods out of the equation, in any case

I feel like I could eat a horse. Roasted, with a pound of roast potatoes!

I have GOT to get a grip or I will be right back where I blooming well started!

Helena

Hi Helena,

Donut peaches are just the same as regular just flatter and smaller. I prefer them to regular ones now.

If I were you I would keep a note on your MFP diary, there is a space at the bottom I think, as to how you feel that day i.e. hungry, starving, satisfied as I found that certain meal combinations will leave me full for hours or hungry in an hour. For me cereal at breakfast is a big no as it leaves me ravenous by 9.30. I find a decent portion of protein balances me for the day. Sometimes it's egg on toast other times greek yogurt and fruit or maybe smoked fish on toast.

I also found that during the course of a month I would have a "not hungry" week, a couple of normal eating weeks and a "starving" week. As time went by I realised this was how my body worked.

I don't buy too much stuff with artificial sweetners in these days as they taste far too sweet to me. I also don't worry too much about having a full fat yogurt now and again either as long as it's a plain variety.

One bad day doesn't make you lose any less weight it just slows the process a little, unless you allow it to send you totally off track. I started out just aiming for more good days than bad days in a week and found a little routine that worked for me.

Hi Helena,

Donut peaches are just the same as regular just flatter and smaller. I prefer them to regular ones now.

If I were you I would keep a note on your MFP diary, there is a space at the bottom I think, as to how you feel that day i.e. hungry, starving, satisfied as I found that certain meal combinations will leave me full for hours or hungry in an hour. For me cereal at breakfast is a big no as it leaves me ravenous by 9.30. I find a decent portion of protein balances me for the day. Sometimes it's egg on toast other times greek yogurt and fruit or maybe smoked fish on toast.

I also found that during the course of a month I would have a "not hungry" week, a couple of normal eating weeks and a "starving" week. As time went by I realised this was how my body worked.

I don't buy too much stuff with artificial sweetners in these days as they taste far too sweet to me. I also don't worry too much about having a full fat yogurt now and again either as long as it's a plain variety.

One bad day doesn't make you lose any less weight it just slows the process a little, unless you allow it to send you totally off track. I started out just aiming for more good days than bad days in a week and found a little routine that worked for me.

Hi Tranq

I keep a biro-written diary in a notebook that is on my desk all the time. I am already making the connections that you mention. For example, I really enjoyed having a chopped up Granny Smith and a Conference pear combo for brekkie, the sharpness of the apple being combined with the bland but tasty pear... however, 20 minutes later my stomach was groaning like a chasm and I thought I would faint with hunger. So I have decided that fruit is a no-no for breakfast - it has to be fat, protein and some kind of fibrous or slow release carb like wholewheat or maybe potato. Fruit is now relegated to an after meal treat.

Smoked fish on toast, that is a great idea. I have some smoked cod in the freezer, intended to have it with potatoes. I found also that tinned pilchards are brilliant on toast because the tomato sauce means you don't need any spread on the bread.

You are right. I am only 11 days into this new WOE and it will take time to find out how my body responds to it, and what its rhythms are. Perhaps when I am hungry I should call a cab and take myself to the swimming pool, where there is nothing to eat!

Slight digression ~ there IS stuff to eat at my local public "health" (huh!) and "fitness" (huh!) centre, where the pool is located, but it is pure, unmitigated junk. There is a tiny cafe in reception selling sugary, white-flour baked goods, like croissants, pastries, giant cookies and muffins, strong coffee, hot chocolate, milk shakes and sugary soft drinks; vending machines full of chocolate bars, biscuits and crisps, and I have even seen packets of sweets stuck under our noses on the reception counter, being sold for kids' charities!

I note that many of the ladies in the aquafit class, having burned off 100 calories with half an hour of gentle movement, will replace them with 500 to 700 calories of sugar and white flour in the hour they spend chatting in the cafe afterwards. Because the cafe is located in the reception rather than in a separate room, the seductive aromas of hot chocolate, pastries and croissants permeate the air. The place terrifies me and I always pinch my nose and head straight out before I can possibly get tempted.

There used to be an electronic weighing machine in the cafe area, which issued a print out of ones weight. I'd been using this for many years until February, when it was permanently removed from the premises, along with all the other weighing machines like the one at the gym and at the other swimming pools. There is also a similar cafe at the gym, by the way.

So, at our gym and pool, you can have a hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows, and a sickly sugary Danish pastry, but you cannot weigh yourself!

It would be hard to explain to a visiting Martian just what is going on at what is supposed to be a "temple of health".

Helena

The body does tend to process fruit on an empty stomach very quickly Helena. You could try the fruit with some porridge or Weetabix or maybe greek yogurt or fromage frais.

I quite often eat dinner type foods for breakfast especially if I have made casserole or soup in the slow cooker overnight. I also try to always eat a protein with carbs even if it is only a piece of fruit with a cheese triangle or a couple of brazil nuts.

It is your diet if you want to eat dinner at breakfast and breakfast for dinner just go for it.

It is your diet if you want to eat dinner at breakfast and breakfast for dinner just go for it.

Oh I already do my lovely! Owing to being on Atkins I soon got used to eating meat or fish and salad for breakfast. I do get so sick of the comments though. A lot of people seem to think their role in life is to "bark" people back into line like sheep if they do something that is even slightly out of the norm for our particular society and era. But it's only social convention; there is no biological imperative for certain foods to be eaten at certain time; I mean, primitive people ate for breakfast whatever they had, what they grew or what they found, be that berries, a swede, or a dead duck.

I've had some amusing debates with people about this, by the way. One person who grimaced at my eating roast pork for brekkie, saying it was "unnatural", judged (pork) bacon and (pork) sausages to be perfectly acceptable breakfast foods! Ditto the person who labelled me weird for eating cod, yet thought kippers were acceptable.

My breakfast yesterday was Brussels sprouts and chicken.

I went up to my b/f house for a couple of hours. I note that when I was in conversation with him I felt no hunger at all. Now I am back I could eat the house.

Helena

Having watched Dr Mosley I am now a bit concerned about all the processed meats I am eating in my daily sandwiches. Deli chicken and ham contains all kinds of additives.

Have decided to start buying chicken breasts and slow-poaching them, slicing them (in my new mandolin!) and then freezing them in packs that will last me a few days each. I might also boil a gammon joint as well, and do the same. That way I ensure I am not eating any additives or chemicals. Another chore though ~ I HATE cooking, even though my dad was a chef! I hope the poached chicken is really tasty and creamy in texture. The boiled gammon is salty, but making a sandwich with a bit of both they can offset one another.

Learning and improving my diet all the time,

Helena

I'd definitely increase your calories if you're feeling hungry - I'd go for at least 1,800. :). I don't eat breakfast myself any more, as it just makes me hungrier! I'm just about to have my first food of the day, an Eat Natural Bar with coffee, then I'll have lunch at 3pm, snacks in the evening, and dinner at 10pm - that's my preferred eating pattern, and it really works for me! :) xx

I'd definitely increase your calories if you're feeling hungry - I'd go for at least 1,800. :). I don't eat breakfast myself any more, as it just makes me hungrier! I'm just about to have my first food of the day, an Eat Natural Bar with coffee, then I'll have lunch at 3pm, snacks in the evening, and dinner at 10pm - that's my preferred eating pattern, and it really works for me! :) xx

Hiya Tracy

I'm not hungry every day when I stick to 1600-1700, just yesterday and today. I still hope that 1600-1700 will once again be satisfactory. This I hope is just a blip caused by Weightwatchers frankenfoods and doing a bit of exercise yesterday. My eating would be quite different from yours. If I ate at 10pm it would be on a tray in bed LOLOL....

I know what you mean about breakfast making you hungry, though. It MUST be to do with blood sugar spiking and plummeting. Makes logical sense.

Helena

That must make you sleep well.... all cosy and full!

Things are looking up! I am now up to 800 calories, and it's 3.30pm, so I only have a few hours left to get through, and about 900 calories left to "spend". PHEW. Danger averted, I think!

Plan for lunch (now) is 2 x WW bread with a small tin of pilchards in tomato sauce, for 300c, and then dinner will be 600c worth of smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches, taking it up to the 900.

I'm afraid that I still don't trust that I will lose any weight at all on 2,000 calories plus, and I want to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible I don't want to waste any time experimenting with the larger number of calories to "see what happens".

Impatient b*gger, aren't I?

Helena

Hi Helena,
sorry to see your +lbs, but you're meal plans and cookings sound so amazing, I'm sure you just need to stick with what you're doing and you'll get through this blip.

have you tried increasing your fluid intake? I'm finding that really curbs my hunger, makings sure I get my 2 litres a day...

Stick with it Hun, you can do it!!

Back