25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

GOOD FOR YOU Helena, and I've had the same experience, I'm size 28 ish and in the past have had regular swimming sessions, starting off nervous, mortified at the thought that anyone would look etc. but after a few weeks I was even changing in the open area (well let's face it, those cubicles are a frigging nightmare for oversized limbs clambering in and out of swimsuits) and I totally agree that people are actually worrying more about themselves than looking at me.

all that's said, I don't know if that applies to some teenage boys, especially in groups. They scare the crap out of me, and I did worry, walking past them to get in the pool that they were going to shout something horrible and hurtful, although they never did.

Helena, 7lbs in 2 weeks is REALLY good progress. In fact any weight loss is Really great, so stick with what you're doing and it will all happen eventually. I do empathise with your urgency for it, but haven't we all found ourselves in this trap before? I know I've set my expectations too high in the past, and then been disappointed when I haven't emerged as a size 12 after a month, and therefore given up. Let's be realistic, it'll take a long time, but 'slow and steady wins the race,' and it'll be so worth it.

Well done with getting in in some gardening. Also Sounds like great distraction, and anything to take minds off the fridge helps doesn't it? :)

I know people think I am a nag, but I HATE to hear that someone is missing out on some great fun exercise, and, let's face it, the ONLY safe exercise for superlarge people, because of the fear inside their heads that "someone" might say or think "something" about their weight. Those of us who have done it KNOW that this just does not happen, so I am glad to hear that you have had the same experiences.

I was in the same boat myself once, and I devised and rehearsed a list of retorts to any snide comments. And 13 years later, I still haven't needed any of them!

The only public comment I ever suffered, strangely enough, wasn't when in a swimsuit but in the street, fully covered up from throat to ankle. A group of teenage girls were all taking photos of me with their mobiles, and when I asked why, one said because they'd never seen anyone as fat as me before, then they all giggled and ran away. So even that wasn't an actual insult. They didn't say anything negative about my being overweight, just that I was, which I already knew.

Come to think of it, the only time I am ever made to feel really embarrassed, ashamed and humiliated in relation to my weight is at my doctor's surgery! No matter what I've got, it's due to the weight. And yet, bizarrely, some ailments went away as I got heavier! Yes, I was told that plantar fascitis was due to my weight, and also varicose veins. They both disappeared once I passed the 22 stone mark on my way upwards. As far as I know, the only obesity-related medical problem I have is sleep apnoea.

Claire-Bear, I know what you mean about impatience and giving up, and I am the queen of giving up, having been yo-yo dieting since I was 19 (I am now 56). HOWEVER, I was today informed that the name of this forum, WEMITS, means "We mean it this time". Therefore, I am no longer allowed to quit. By joining this forum, I have accepted its terms and conditions, and so, this time, I "mean it". I also read on someone siggy that "Quitters never win and winners never quit". Well, I don't want to be someone who never wins! I LOVE to win! So that has worked on me, too.

I am looking forward to seeing your marker move along your Christmas ticker. I think 56lb is probably not achievable. It's too much. It is, after all, nearly September! You are asking for 3.5lb a week, with no stalls or setbacks. Hmmm.... well, so long as you aren't going to be devastated if you don't make it. I made a 31st December pledge with a friend who is trying to lose 3 stone by then. So that is only 42lb, and we started last week and have the extra week past Xmas.

Helena

I lost exactly 2lb since yesterday. So I now weigh 343.4, which is a total loss of 8.6lb since two Fridays ago, or 4.3lb a week.

Starting weight 25 stone 2lb. Current weight 24 stone 7.4 lb. In other words, 24-and-a-half stone, plus 0.4 of a pound.

I am stuffing my sandwiches so full of tomatoes, cucumbers and raw onion rings that I cannot get my mouth open wide enough to eat them!

P1030965.JPG

Oh that looks so good!!

And only 338 calories. That is for two rounds of sandwiches (i.e. using 4 slices of bread).

No spread, no mayo. A year ago I would have stated categorically that I could not eat a sandwich without those additions! It was DELISH!

And only 338 calories. That is for two rounds of sandwiches (i.e. using 4 slices of bread).

No spread, no mayo. A year ago I would have stated categorically that I could not eat a sandwich without those additions! It was DELISH!

I'm such a sauce fiend, I put either mayo or red french dressing (or both) on everything! I'm really in the mood for a sandwich now, might have to make one at lunch time!

I'm such a sauce fiend, I put either mayo or red french dressing (or both) on everything! I'm really in the mood for a sandwich now, might have to make one at lunch time!

With me I think it must have been "all in the mind" because a sauce-free sandwich is not in reality at all unpalatable. I would rather save the calories and spend them on another slice of bread or chicken.

I am living on sandwiches at the moment. They seem to tick all the right boxes for me: it is a set amount of food, calorie counted and controlled and, with a pint of tea, are very very filling and satisfying. It's really quick to make a sandwich, and that is great because I absolutely hate cooking, most especially the preparation. And of course bread can be frozen so you can keep it in stock all the time and not have to keep buying it fresh and then running out or see it go off.

I do not think grains are very good for us, but if it keeps me on the weight loss wagon it's a sacrifice I am willing to risk.

Feeling a bit hungrier today. Perhaps this will be my "rhythm" ~ alternate day hungriness! But it's fine. I was nearly 200 under yesterday so it will be OK to have up to 1900 today, should I run out of calories before I run out of "today".

I did a bit of physical activity ~ I sold my tall fridge and helped the buyer to carry it out and load it on his car.

Just had another chicken-ham-salad sandwich! They are really delicious!

Now it's time for a pint mug of good old British workmen's tea, and a Fudge!

Feeling a bit hungrier today. Perhaps this will be my "rhythm" ~ alternate day hungriness! But it's fine. I was nearly 200 under yesterday so it will be OK to have up to 1900 today, should I run out of calories before I run out of "today".

I did a bit of physical activity ~ I sold my tall fridge and helped the buyer to carry it out and load it on his car.

Just had another chicken-ham-salad sandwich! They are really delicious!

Now it's time for a pint mug of good old British workmen's tea, and a Fudge!

I followed your sandwich lead to the best of my ability (silly work!) by having a wholemeal sandwich with organic, sugar free jam (23cals per tbsp!), didn't quite hit the spot as much as I'd imagine chicken and veg would mind!

I think it's quite common to have varying levels of hunger, depending on your bodies natural rhythm and the weather, I'm always hungrier on cold days and towards the end of the week as my working week winds down!

I followed your sandwich lead to the best of my ability (silly work!) by having a wholemeal sandwich with organic, sugar free jam (23cals per tbsp!), didn't quite hit the spot as much as I'd imagine chicken and veg would mind!

I think it's quite common to have varying levels of hunger, depending on your bodies natural rhythm and the weather, I'm always hungrier on cold days and towards the end of the week as my working week winds down!

No, I don't think jam will do it. Not much (if any) nutrition in it. And yes we burn off more calories in the winter, trying to keep warm, so I look forward to us all losing more weight in the coming months!

I have two more chores to complete before I get my tea-and-choccy reward. Firstly, I must finish chapter 5 of the book I am editing. The second is physical: I must barrow three bags of garden waste to the on-street rubbish bin. This doesn't sound like much but my physical immobility has been so poor recently that this would have been a task so major that I would have paid someone else to do it. But I feel fit enough to do it myself. Hurrah!

No, I don't think jam will do it. Not much (if any) nutrition in it. And yes we burn off more calories in the winter, trying to keep warm, so I look forward to us all losing more weight in the coming months!

I have two more chores to complete before I get my tea-and-choccy reward. Firstly, I must finish chapter 5 of the book I am editing. The second is physical: I must barrow three bags of garden waste to the on-street rubbish bin. This doesn't sound like much but my physical immobility has been so poor recently that this would have been a task so major that I would have paid someone else to do it. But I feel fit enough to do it myself. Hurrah!

Feeling fit enough for new things is such an achievement in itself! Well done!

Feeling fit enough for new things is such an achievement in itself! Well done!

Yes indeed it is, thank you.

Often when a really big person decides to get lighter people around them think that they should start off by forcing themselves to do exercise even when they don't feel like it. But I think it's better to start with the diet ONLY and when the weight starts to come off, the obese person will naturally and of her/his own accord just start being more active.

I've just had a read of a food diary of one of my "friends" on MFP and I am horrified! I looked at all her entries for a whole week, and all she has eaten are cookies, cakes, biscuits, crisps, sweets, Diet Coke and other junk.

I did not see ONE ... honestly, not ONE mention, in a whole week, of anything that is a raw fresh vegetable or a fruit, and I struggled to find any protein, either... until on one day when she had a McChicken at McDonalds. (I assume that there is some kind of protein in that?)

Clearly, she thinks that, so long as she keeps to her calorie count (which she does) then nutrition does not matter. I really really hope that she won't do TOO much damage to her system. I am not at all sure if I should message her with my concerns. Maybe I will. I mean, SOMEONE has to say something to her about it. And if she resents it and un-friends me, so be it. Ironically, by warning her, I might be the best "friend" she ever had!

Harris Benedict Equation

I just used this (above) and my BMR is 2180, and for a totally sedentary life I need 2,616 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I do water aerobics three times a week then I need 3,000.

If I have a shortfall of 1,000 a day I should lose 2lb a week.

How about you?

Last edited:
FoodsCaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Morning
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices82g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Tesco - Thin Smoked Ham, 20 g210g1g3g0mg0mg0g0g
Tomato - Tomato., 0.5 cup5412g0g2g0mg6mg3g2g
Co Op - Chicken Breast Slice, 80 g880g2g19g0mg0mg0g0g
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 2 slices (41GRAM10018g1g6g0mg170mg0g4g
Warburtons - Wholemeal Bread 400g (Small) Loaf, 2 Slice11619g1g5g0mg192mg2g3g
Afternoon
Classic - Tomato, 100 g184g0g1g0mg5mg3g1g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices82g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Co Op - Chicken Breast Slice, 20 g220g0g5g0mg0mg0g0g
Onions - Raw, 2 slice, medium (1/8" thick)123g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Asda - Asda Light Soft Cheese, 15 g230g2g2g0mg0mg0g0g
Tesco - Thin Smoked Ham, 20 g210g1g3g0mg0mg0g0g
Warburtons - Wholemeal Bread 400g (Small) Loaf, 2 Slice11619g1g5g0mg192mg2g3g
Finn Crisp - Original Thin Rye Crispbread With Sourdough Rye, 2 slice4010g0g1g0mg85mg0g2g
Last meal
Glenryk - Pilchards In Tomato Sauce, 50 g of total product (not drained)632g3g7g0mg0mg1g1g
Warburtons - 400g Brown Bread, 2 slice11620g2g5g0mg200mg2g2g
Homebrand - Mackerel With Natural Mackerel Oil, 50 g drained1021g6g11g0mg126mg0g0g
Heinz - Tomato Ketchup 15ml, 15 ml184g0g0g0mg100mg4g0g
Campbells Cup Soup - Cream of Chicken, 25 g sachet10618g3g1g0mg530mg1g1g
Generic - Canteloupe, Raw, 1/4 melon6917g0g2g0mg33mg16g2g
Drinks/treats
Lemon juice - Raw, 0.3 fl oz21g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Cadbury (Uk) - Fudge, 24.5 g (1 bar)11519g4g1g0mg40mg16g0g
Slimfast - Chocolate Caramel Treat, 1 bar9516g3g1g0mg0mg3g0g
Tesco - British Whole Milk, 50 ml332g2g2g0mg20mg2g0g
TOTAL:
189g32g82g0mg1,702mg58g21g

Last edited:
I've just had a read of a food diary of one of my "friends" on MFP and I am horrified! I looked at all her entries for a whole week, and all she has eaten are cookies, cakes, biscuits, crisps, sweets, Diet Coke and other junk.

I did not see ONE ... honestly, not ONE mention, in a whole week, of anything that is a raw fresh vegetable or a fruit, and I struggled to find any protein, either... until on one day when she had a McChicken at McDonalds. (I assume that there is some kind of protein in that?)

Clearly, she thinks that, so long as she keeps to her calorie count (which she does) then nutrition does not matter. I really really hope that she won't do TOO much damage to her system. I am not at all sure if I should message her with my concerns. Maybe I will. I mean, SOMEONE has to say something to her about it. And if she resents it and un-friends me, so be it. Ironically, by warning her, I might be the best "friend" she ever had!

I mean this with love, but I think you need to let her get along in the best way she can. There may be a 100 and one reasons why she eats as she does or maybe she doesn't like/has allergies or just wants to use her calories on 'naughty' things. Perhaps she's having a bad day/week/month or maybe it's a special occasion spread out across the time. She already knows she has an issue with her weight and hopefully she is still losing weight. It's just her way.

For instance, if you look at mine, you'll see the breakfast I eat is mostly snackbar type biscuits. That's because I have to eat something in the morning to take my medication on but I don't physically feel like eating in the morning even though I know I should have breakfast as it helps boost metabolism/helps feed you for the morning etc etc. TBH a lot of the time I have a problem with eating full stop because I struggle feeling hungry or go straight to feeling sick because of my acid reflux. A lot of the time it just tastes like bleach or hurts going down. As a full time carer there's mostly ready meals or what could be junky food because I'm just so tired by the end of the day I don't have the time or energy to prepare myself a meal after sorting mum (and I don't like vegetables or salad veg other than lettuce, marrowfat peas or potatoes.) There's been a fair bit of diet coke in my listings recently too because I've been flagging without any caffine in my coffee/tea and not drinking any energy drinks that I used to live and die on for boosts to keep me going tot he end of the day so a sneaky diet coke was a way of getting a bit of a quick boost without having a junk binge.

It also doesn't help that I have to wait once a fortnight for money because of this situation we have right now that means that we have fresh food sort of Friday-Tuesday of the first week after being paid until they started to go off - and a lot of the time there isn't the extra cash to be able to purchase fresh again afterwards.

We all cope differently and we all "diet" differently. She won't be the first not doing it the "best" way and she won't be the last. As long as it works for her :)

Last edited:
Helen, that sandwich is is the scooby-snack league!! How brilliant you've managed to keep the calories so low.
i do well with fixed amounts, so totally see what you mean about sandwiches being a good option.
enjoy!!! And a pint of tea sounds lush!

i know my Xmas goal is really ambitious, but I have heard (and believe) that people who aim higher achieve more. And I won't be totally devastated if I don't make it all the way, but I'm damned well going to try and do it!!

great to hear you're doing the gardening. I'm hoping to get out and do some tidying up in the garden this weekend too, if the weather allows!

I think it's probably best just to read and walk away from that diary at the moment Helena. Sometimes at the start of a weight loss journey it's a case of just reducing what you're currently eating down to your calorie level because let's face it planning, weighing and counting is a big enough challenge in itself. As your friend starts losing they will probably find their bodies asking for more nutritious fuel, I know mine did, which is when you may be in a position to advise them on good foods to try.

It is better for them to be eating a regular calorie amount that not eating at all. As PSP said there are a lot of things to factor in to their food choices, they may not be able to afford fresh fruits/veg, they may not have enough time to peel and chop when they get in from work or they may not know how to cook. Maybe you should try a little reverse psychology on your own thread and mention how good fresh food tastes or how better you feel now you are making better food choices yourself. It may encourage your friend to try a few new foods or cut out some of the snacky foods.

Well done on your loss this week :)

Im on myfitnesspal, do you use that? My username is louisebose

Add me on there to view diaries etc x
Hi, been reading your threads, have you tried slimming world?
I found it the most easy and lots to eat!
i love food and struggle with weight going up and down.
i have lots of slimming world recipes if you would like some.
good luck with your diet and all the best with your wedding xx

Hi, been reading your threads, have you tried slimming world?
I found it the most easy and lots to eat!
i love food and struggle with weight going up and down.
i have lots of slimming world recipes if you would like some.
good luck with your diet and all the best with your wedding xx

Hello highhopes. I would love to read any low calorie recipes please.

I had no idea that I was getting married, but thanks for letting me know. I need to get a dress!

Helena

Back