25 stone to 19 stone in 8 months.

Hi Helena,
sorry to see your +lbs, but you're meal plans and cookings sound so amazing, I'm sure you just need to stick with what you're doing and you'll get through this blip.

have you tried increasing your fluid intake? I'm finding that really curbs my hunger, makings sure I get my 2 litres a day...

Stick with it Hun, you can do it!!

Hey BigBear has a photo! You seem a chirpy chappy!

Yeah I am rubbish at trying to make myself drink when I am not thirsty. One good trick is to eat bacon, or put extra salt on my food.

Funnily enough, this afternoon I wrote in my biro-journal that I must drink 1pt of fluid just before a meal and another right after, to bloat myself out and kid my body into thinking I have had a blow out banquet!

So, how is your diet going Bear? Do you have a thread of your own yet?

Helena

Thanks :) I try to be a sunshine girl, except for today when I've had a weepy moment after my knee doctor appointment today, and hearing some harsh but fair advice on basically just being TOO heavy.

thanks for the link. My gut feeling is always too not get involved with pills, but it agree the reviews do look convincing.
i might save this to explore a bit further down the line if/when my weight slows up.

yes, I've got my very own happy thread, 'Claire bears shrinking mission' already full of very lovely supportive people. I feel so lucky to have found this forum. I really feel like I might do it this time, and follow it through.

Claire we are all in this together. I am going to stick to this for at least a year so we can buddy up and I won't suddenly abandon you. i also understand what it is to be super-obese. And I am 56 by the way.

I was worrying unduly today; I finished up at 1390 calories and am done eating for today. shall have an early night and keep away from temptation. It feels really good that, having gone over by 400 yesterday, I am 310 under today. PHEW.

Looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow.

I have ordered those pills on the link.

Goodnight

Helena

Thanks Helena, I really really do appreciate the peer support xxxxxxxxx

good lucks with the pills! Will be interested to hear how you get on with them x

I've just read Minus117's entire thread starting last October. She has lost 8 stone in 8 months. Reading her posts was amazing. She could not believe how easily and quickly the pounds were dropping off, and when 3 stone, 4 stone, 5 stone were lost she was utterly incredulous. I was a bit disappointed when she went over to Cambridge Diet after just a couple of weeks, because I would have liked to have copied her chosen foods. But wow, 8 stone in 8 months. Just amazing and I wish her all the best. Her postings will I hope help many people to keep motivated.

I was keen to do my weigh-in today because yesterday's showed a GAIN of 1.5lb after eating 2100 calories the day before, which is about 400 more than I planned for. To make up for it, I kept to 1400 yesterday, about 300 under. I was rewarded with a weight loss this morning of 1.5lb. So I am back where I was on Monday, which is disappointing :-(

I am feeling incredibly impatient to lose more weight and faster. This is despite my losing 6.5lb in the last 13 days, which is pretty much all one can reasonably hope for when completely sedentary. If I lose another 1/2lb by tomorrow that will equate to 7lb in a fortnight, or 3.5lb a week.

I bought the carb smasher tablets on Amazon; perhaps they will make a difference.

I watched some low-calorie eating, and also nutrition vids on Youtube last night in bed, and am now determined to eat more tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage and carrots.

Had half a carrot as a treat last night and, you know what? It was really nice. I want to edge myself away from the WW frankensh1ite and towards vegetables and fruits.

Helena

Last edited:
Try and relax as much as you can lovely, I know it's easier said than done but this isn't a diet anymore. To keep the weight off it has to be a fulltime life change. When you obsess and focus on foodfoodfoodfood then of course you're going to feel hungry. If you keep yourself busy mind and body (like you found when you went to see your partner) then you don't feel hungry at all.

Everything I've read says that we're going to find it harder to maintain when we get down to the weight that we want than someone who has never been our size before just because of what we've done to our bodies and metabolism.

I really wouldn't have worried about the WW foods, I really don't think they'd be doing you any harm or making you hungry. When you're just starting out the fluctuations are generally what happens - it's the way your body works. That's why we're supposed to only weigh in and log our weight once a week at the same time after using the toilets as you get some form of consistency from the measurements and can track a pattern :)

Try and relax as much as you can lovely, I know it's easier said than done but this isn't a diet anymore. To keep the weight off it has to be a fulltime life change. When you obsess and focus on foodfoodfoodfood then of course you're going to feel hungry. If you keep yourself busy mind and body (like you found when you went to see your partner) then you don't feel hungry at all.

Everything I've read says that we're going to find it harder to maintain when we get down to the weight that we want than someone who has never been our size before just because of what we've done to our bodies and metabolism.

I really wouldn't have worried about the WW foods, I really don't think they'd be doing you any harm or making you hungry. When you're just starting out the fluctuations are generally what happens - it's the way your body works. That's why we're supposed to only weigh in and log our weight once a week at the same time after using the toilets as you get some form of consistency from the measurements and can track a pattern :)

Thanks for your thoughts Princess. I'm inclined to buy Cadbury Fudge fingers rather than WW desserts. They are the same calories, but at least the fudge isn't full of chemicals. Also, there may be something psychological going on. If something is a "slimming food" ~ i.e. made by WeightWatchers, maybe subconsciously we can fall into the trap of thinking we can have two. Whereas having a NON diet "proper" Cadbury chocolate bar is seen as "NAUGHTY" and something to be savoured slowly and seen as such a treat that even ONE seems "not-quite-allowed".

I dunno, just pontificating here.

Regarding maintaining. I was worrying about that in relation to Minus117, who has lost so magnificently on Cambridge. If she does not learn to buy, cook and LIKE slimming foods, then what happens when she stops taking the diet-shakes? In regard to myself, I am not going to worry about that at this juncture. I'll probably be over 60 by the time I lose a really substantial amount of weight, so won't have as much life left to live as those in their 20s who have to try to keep it off for life.

I don't feel remotely hungry today. My last meal was 5pm yesterday, and I've been awake since 0600 today. Eventually at 9.30am I made myself have two slices of toasted bread and half a small tin of pilchards, and since then I have done 90 minutes work in the garden. I'm now knackered, but not remotely hungry.

So, clearly, there are just going to be days when I am more hungry than others. I'll get into the swing of it eventually!

Helena

As Kym said, patience is key. One of the biggest drawbacks to losing weight quickly, apart from the fact you're less likely to keep it off, is the likelihood of ending up with masses of excess skin, which can cause real problems. 1-2lbs a week is supposed to be the best rate to lose at, for both health and sustainability. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the WW foods either - I used to eat quite a lot of their biscuits and things when I started off, and just gradually eliminated them when I reduced my calorie intake. I still eat exclusively ready meals, but from Tesco, not WW. :)

I've just discovered, to my horror, that I've accidentally ordered some of those tablets by clicking on your link above to have a nosey! Do you think they'll let me send them back? :O xx

As Kym said, patience is key. One of the biggest drawbacks to losing weight quickly, apart from the fact you're less likely to keep it off, is the likelihood of ending up with masses of excess skin, which can cause real problems. 1-2lbs a week is supposed to be the best rate to lose at, for both health and sustainability. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the WW foods either - I used to eat quite a lot of their biscuits and things when I started off, and just gradually eliminated them when I reduced my calorie intake. I still eat exclusively ready meals, but from Tesco, not WW. :)

I've just discovered, to my horror, that I've accidentally ordered some of those tablets by clicking on your link above to have a nosey! Do you think they'll let me send them back? :O xx

Hi Tracy.

I don't think there is anything I can do to prevent loose skin. I am 56 and have been overweight since I was 16 and morbidly obese since I was about 40. There isn't a hope in hell that I will end up with a svelte, light little body. My main concern as I lose weight is getting the maximum amount of nutrition and avoiding as much as is possible chemicals in the foods I am eating, particularly artificial sweeteners. I also want to concentrate on upping my veggies and eating as many as I can in their raw state.

I guess we are all different and the youngsters are probably going to concentrate more on what they look like externally and less on eating "clean": - healthy, fresh, organic foods.

This "patience" thing, I don't think I know how to get that. I looked at Asda Online but they don't have any. Please provide a link and I will order some. Instantly, of course! And express delivery!

I don't think you can order something just by clicking on that link.... you have to click "buy now" or something. And yes, you can cancel so long as you are quick! They are a good price at the moment, low enough to tempt me to have a punt and see if they make any difference.

I am tremendously proud of myself today. The electricity was switched off here for a couple of hours and so I went outside I did gardening for that time. Usually it all seems too hard, too tiring, but I did loads, plenty of bending, stretching and carrying/pushing stuff. It looks great and I am chuffed that just half a stone can make this much difference. I also walked down to the Co-Op and noticed how much easier it was for me to walk back (slightly uphill). I wasn't panting and I didn't have to stop for a rest. How can the loss of just 7lb make SUCH a difference?

I bought cucumber, tomatoes, onions and wholemeal bread, then made two sandwiches with a few slices of wafer thin chicken, but absolutely stuffed full of cucumber, tomatoes, and onion rings. No spread on the bread and no dressing on the vegetables, yet it was absolutely fine just as it was. Delicious! I think that, after Atkins, my body/palate is so sick of fatty, greasy foods that it's a refreshing change to eat cold, crisp, fresh salad vegetables. I used my brand new mandoline to slice those veggies, and then sprinkled them with salt, fresh black pepper, balsamic vinegar and dried Polish dill. With a pint of tea the sandwiches have really filled me up. I also bought a pack of six Cadbury's Fudge, for £1. Gonna have one in a minute with another pint of tea.

Am easily on track to stick to 1600 today.

Owing to being so pleased with myself, I am taking the rest of the day off! I am editing a book, a very boring one, and although I did manage to do an hour on it today, when I reached the end of a chapter I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon lying on the sofa watching Pointless. I can always come back and do a bit more editing later, should I feel the urge!

Helena

You sound like you've done really well today! isn't it amazing how a small loss can make such a difference?

You seem to have such a brilliant attitude too, especially towards the clean eating etc, though I am a youngster (a whippersnapper at 21) that's my goal too, less additives, preservatives, clean and healthy eating. I don't want to be like this forever, and though I'd love to look good, I'd much rather be healthy for the remainder of my life, looks fade - and even though health does too, there's more I can do about that than wrinkles or saggy bits!
X

Today so far

FoodsCaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Morning
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 2 slices (41GRAM10018g1g6g0mg170mg0g4g
Glenryk - Pilchards In Tomato Sauce, 100 g of total product (not drained)1254g7g13g0mg0mg2g1g
Princes - Mackerel In Olive Oil - Tinned, 50 g - drained weight1350g10g10g0mg150mg0g0g
Afternoon
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 4 slices (41GRAM20036g2g12g0mg340mg0g8g
Co Op - Chicken Breast Slice, 100 g1100g2g23g0mg0mg0g0g
Classic - Tomato, 100 g184g0g1g0mg5mg3g1g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices82g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped6716g0g1g0mg5mg7g2g
Drinks/treats
Twinnings - Various Fruit Tea, 8 cup160g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Tesco - British Whole Milk, 100 ml655g4g3g0mg40mg5g0g
Cadbury (Uk) - Fudge, 24.5 g (1 bar)11519g4g1g0mg40mg16g0g
Lemon juice - Raw, 1 fl oz83g0g0g0mg0mg1g0g
Slimfast - Chocolate Caramel Treat, 1 bar9516g3g1g0mg0mg3g0g
TOTAL:1,062123g33g71g0mg751mg38g16g

You sound like you've done really well today! isn't it amazing how a small loss can make such a difference?

You seem to have such a brilliant attitude too, especially towards the clean eating etc, though I am a youngster (a whippersnapper at 21) that's my goal too, less additives, preservatives, clean and healthy eating. I don't want to be like this forever, and though I'd love to look good, I'd much rather be healthy for the remainder of my life, looks fade - and even though health does too, there's more I can do about that than wrinkles or saggy bits!
X

Thanks Llama.

And sorry if my pigeonholing "youngsters" came across as too sweeping. I don't mean that applies to every single individual, more that it's more likely that the young are going to want their body to look young and tight. I shall be nearly 60 by the time I get slimmer, and even if I'd never been obese one expects to be wrinkly and saggy by that age. I don't really care much what I look like to others, and if my future lovers object to my saggy bits, they can always switch off the lights LOL. Besides, they won't be perfect, either!

H

Thanks Llama.

And sorry if my pigeonholing "youngsters" came across as too sweeping. I don't mean that applies to every single individual, more that it's more likely that the young are going to want their body to look young and tight. I shall be nearly 60 by the time I get slimmer, and even if I'd never been obese one expects to be wrinkly and saggy by that age. I don't really care much what I look like to others, and if my future lovers object to my saggy bits, they can always switch off the lights LOL. Besides, they won't be perfect, either!

H

It didn't, don't worry, I do understand where you're coming from, though I do still think you can look stunning at 60! Anyone that wants to turn the lights off is definitely not worth your time! :p

Done eating for today, ended on 1540 calories, even had 2 choc bars. Lots of veg omega 3 fish, wholewheat, fruit. A very good healthy diet day. Feel really full and satisfied.

Foods
CaloriesCarbsFatProteinCholestSodiumSugarsFiber
Morning
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 2 slices (41GRAM10018g1g6g0mg170mg0g4g
Glenryk - Pilchards In Tomato Sauce, 100 g of total product (not drained)1254g7g13g0mg0mg2g1g
Princes - Mackerel In Olive Oil - Tinned, 50 g - drained weight1350g10g10g0mg150mg0g0g
Afternoon
Weightwatchers - Bread, Multigrain, 4 slices (41GRAM20036g2g12g0mg340mg0g8g
Classic - Tomato, 100 g184g0g1g0mg5mg3g1g
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices82g0g0g0mg1mg1g0g
Onions - Raw, 4 slice, medium (1/8" thick)246g0g1g0mg2mg2g1g
Co Op - Chicken Breast Slice, 80 g880g2g19g0mg0mg0g0g
Last meal
Cottage Pie - Home Made, 1/4 of a serving40532g18g24g0mg0mg0g0g
Generic - Canteloupe, Raw, 1/2 melon13833g0g3g0mg65mg32g4g
Drinks/treats
Twinnings - Various Fruit Tea, 8 cup160g0g0g0mg0mg0g0g
Tesco - British Whole Milk, 100 ml655g4g3g0mg40mg5g0g
Cadbury (Uk) - Fudge, 24.5 g (1 bar)11519g4g1g0mg40mg16g0g
Lemon juice - Raw, 1 fl oz83g0g0g0mg0mg1g0g
Slimfast - Chocolate Caramel Treat, 1 bar9516g3g1g0mg0mg3g0g
TOTAL:1,540178g51g94g0mg813mg65g19g

Glad to hear you're having a great food day! :)

I think what must have happened with those tablets is that when I opened the link I must have also caught the 1-Click order button and the order's gone straight through. They've been despatched unfortunately so I'll have to try to return them. :(

Re the loose skin, I think there'll always be some when you lose a lot of weight, but I know the cases you see where it's really bad and causing nasty health problems are usually when the weight's been lost fast - I've managed to end up with just a bit of looseness and wrinkling, which as you say can be lived with, especially at my age. There's no way I could ever expose certain parts of my body - arms, upper legs, lower abdomen - but that doesn't bother me in the slightest at my age! :)

I'll try to look out for some patience for you, lol. :D xx

If I get good results I will buy them off you. Or, actually, you can put them on ebay where they re selling for more than you paid.

It's odd that I don't worry about anyone looking at me or what they think. Even at 26 stone 9 I was walking around in a size 34 swimsuit, and not one with a skirt, either! both here locally and on holiday abroad. Nobody ever says anything to me about my size... maybe some have thought unkind things, but so what?

I've frequented my local pool for 13 yrs and never had one nasty comment, or seen anyone snigger or point as I waddle about with my 69 inch hips and gargantuan thighs. But even if I did, I'd still carry on.

Most people are so busy worrying about what they look like that they don't notice you, anyway. If it wasn't our weight they were silently, mentally criticising, then it would be something else, so why worry about it? Why do you care what strangers are thinking to themselves about your slightly imperfect body?

helena

I know what you mean, I shouldn't care what other people think, but I do, lol. I'll keep my saggy, wrinkly bits covered up. :D xx

GOOD FOR YOU Helena, and I've had the same experience, I'm size 28 ish and in the past have had regular swimming sessions, starting off nervous, mortified at the thought that anyone would look etc. but after a few weeks I was even changing in the open area (well let's face it, those cubicles are a frigging nightmare for oversized limbs clambering in and out of swimsuits) and I totally agree that people are actually worrying more about themselves than looking at me.

all that's said, I don't know if that applies to some teenage boys, especially in groups. They scare the crap out of me, and I did worry, walking past them to get in the pool that they were going to shout something horrible and hurtful, although they never did.

Helena, 7lbs in 2 weeks is REALLY good progress. In fact any weight loss is Really great, so stick with what you're doing and it will all happen eventually. I do empathise with your urgency for it, but haven't we all found ourselves in this trap before? I know I've set my expectations too high in the past, and then been disappointed when I haven't emerged as a size 12 after a month, and therefore given up. Let's be realistic, it'll take a long time, but 'slow and steady wins the race,' and it'll be so worth it.

Well done with getting in in some gardening. Also Sounds like great distraction, and anything to take minds off the fridge helps doesn't it? :)

Back