3 Questions!

loveablemonkey

Ok I'm mega frustrated, this is my third time trying to post this but computer keeps crashing!! So I have 3 questions and would be so grateful if someone could give me a few pointers -

Question 1! - Is the reason we're advised not to chew gum purely because it would make us more hungry? If so, I can totally handle that, I'm hungry anyway and how much worse could it get really. I'm just missing my chewing gum and hate this constant bad taste in my mouth and the worry about my breath! Though if it actually has any actual negative effects on the weightloss then obviously I'll just have to deal..

Question 2 - I'm on day 5 of SS and have been invited out for a meal next Friday with this guy I've been on a couple of dates with, and I can't suggest an alternate activity because his boss has actually apparently offered to pay for a meal for him and a nice girl (me :cool:) up to £150 because he's been working hard lately or something! :eek: - So... what do I do to try and limit the damage! Stick to proteins or greens or..? I don't know, any advice? Also drinks - is anything as bad as anything else or is red/white wine/rose/champagne better? Obviously I'll only have a couple of glasses and just try and make them last but just wondering if anything is less bad. And I won't be telling him I'm on a diet because that's so unsexy for a guy hehe he can just think I'm naturally shrinking!

Question 3 - No matter how hard or for how long I wisk, my shakes are always very lumpy! I don't own and can't afford a blender, and I don't actually mind the lumpiness (makes the shakes feel slightly more substantial and food-like somehow) but it would be nice to get them smooth if I could. Is this actually possible without a blender?

Hope someone can help! Thanks! :D
xxx

Hi there

I'll answer as best I can

Q1 - Some gum has sugar in and even the sugar free ones contain ingredients that can take you out of ketosis. I know some people chew the trident one and it doesn't affect them but I don't think its worth the risk. You can use the gold spot mouthspray (original) and that helps with the nasty taste.

Q2 - DONT drink when you're in ketosis. At best you will feel rough but at the worst it can be fatal. See this thread for more infor (it scared the life out of me!) http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/26311-dangers-alcohol-when-ketosis.html

As for food, stick to chicken / fish and green veg, nothing carby and ask the chef not to use too much oil. I know what you mean about guys finding diets unsexy, I didn't dare tell last nights date that I was on the diet so ate a wee bit of chicken which hasn't done me any harm.

Q3 - I find the only way to get the shakes really smooth is to use a blender. They don't have to be anything special. I bought an expensive one at the start which broke so now I just use the £3.99 stick ones and make my shakes in a tall jug. Someone told me that if you make the shake into a paste with a little bit of water then whisk water into the paste it helps if you are in a non blender emergency. Also the lactose free shakes are much smoother.

thank you very much, that was really helpful! (Both answers, I've bought the protein shake shaker)

I chew wrigleys extra, not sure if it's affected my weight loss at all, because I've had it from day 1... but I'm still losing 3lbs a week which is good enough for me.. I'd rather still be able to talk to people than lose an extra lb!!!

as for blenders, tesco do a stick blender for £3.49 and it works really well. you need to have a tallish jug for it though..

and avoid alcohol!! you can always say you're not drinking at the mo without saying you're dieting, I normally say I'm just taking a course of antibiotics, if he's particularly nosey, ear infections are a nice non-manky illness

Haha love that advice Liz thanks!! That's a really good idea, I was worrying about the reason for no alcohol!! Brilliant :)

i got a hand blender from tescos for £3.99 and its great as i was having problems getting mind to be smooth hope that helps ashley xx

I have 2 blendser (one for work and one for home) and my husband got them from tesco for £4:99 each! An absolute godsend. They REALLY make a difference.

I would suggest eating protein

Just drink sparkiling water. Just a bit of alcohol will weaken your resolve.

Thanks everyone, amazing advice!

Back