4 Week holiday away... Advice needed please?

TIGGERTOES

Likes to read
Hello Friends,

I'm going on holiday to South Africa for 4 weeks soon (7 September). Really looking forward to it. Plan on incorporating Vlcd in my holiday by doing TS/WS mixed. Is this going to be ok?.

My plan is to have a day of TS, followed by a day of WS so I'd be adding a meal every other day. I don't really drink so alcohol is not an issue. I'm going home to visit my family so I'm pretty sure my mum is going to want to force feed me and my days will consist of catching up with friends and family and them trying to feed me (we have a culture of food and social eating) at least the main foods are fish and seafoods and meats BBQ'd instead of loads of carbs added, they eat salads and pulses more than rice and potatoes so I'm sure I can pull it off. I'll be swimming a lot as well for added fitness

I'm planning on going back to full TS when I return to the UK in October.

My question is would I be able to take the Exante Packs abroad with me? I'd like to pack enough for a 3 x meals a day. Or should I look for a similar alternative when I'm out there? They have a huge variety of body sculpting/diet/fitness supplements in the main chemists out there so I'm sure I'd find a meal replacement shake or bar that would compare closely to Exante. Would this be advised? Has anyone had any experience with this? I really want to continue on the VLCD when away, as my diet so far has been really beneficial and I would like to keep on track.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
TT

I can't see why you couldn't take exante packs with you - they'll be sealed and in your hold luggage. Maybe better to check with your airline. I would suggest doing this if you can rather than risk trying something you might not like as much. Also your family are more likely to succed in persuading you not to carry on if you have to go to the effort of going to a shop, while they will find it more difficult if you have your supply with you. Anyway whatever you do have a great holiday!

lass321 said:
I can't see why you couldn't take exante packs with you - they'll be sealed and in your hold luggage. Maybe better to check with your airline. I would suggest doing this if you can rather than risk trying something you might not like as much. Also your family are more likely to succed in persuading you not to carry on if you have to go to the effort of going to a shop, while they will find it more difficult if you have your supply with you. Anyway whatever you do have a great holiday!

Thanx for your reply, I was thinking of taking a few days packs with in my luggage, and as many bars as I could carry in my hand luggage. I'll call the airline on Monday. My mum will be supportive but I know she'd want me to eat "some food" with every sitting. She's a stick instect herself which doesn't help haha! I'd obviously like to go and eat at my favourite restaurants but I know I'm going to ask for the lean/low cal options and I'm going to try my utter best to avoid those pesky carbs.

Im really more scared of the airline police stopping me mid flight and searching my bags as the suspect the little foil pouches with the suspect white powder might be something other than the powdered meal replacement shakes I'm trying to explain to them. I'm flying Lufthanza and I'm sure I don't know what milkshake is in German...

Id ask Exante if I was you they must have had this raised before :) I also wouldnt describe it as a 'milkshake' to the airline. a milkshake is (IMO) totally different, I just cannot think of the packs as milkshakes at all lol. I think to cover yourself and give yourself the best chance of being allowed Id describe them as accurately as possible :)

Starlight said:
Id ask Exante if I was you they must have had this raised before :) I also wouldnt describe it as a 'milkshake' to the airline. a milkshake is (IMO) totally different, I just cannot think of the packs as milkshakes at all lol. I think to cover yourself and give yourself the best chance of being allowed Id describe them as accurately as possible :)

Thanks Starlight. I'll call Exante about it on Mandy. Lucky it says what it is on the packet. But who knows. I love thinking of them as milkshakes. Tricks my mind into thinking they are yummy and delicious. ;)

I would be interested to hear how you get on with this.

I have a 4 week holiday in October, flying long haul.

I just wonder how you are going to manage with the weight of the packs?? Excess baggage?

The month's delivery in a box is pretty heavy!!

Darcy15 said:
I would be interested to hear how you get on with this.

I have a 4 week holiday in October, flying long haul.

I just wonder how you are going to manage with the weight of the packs?? Excess baggage?

The month's delivery in a box is pretty heavy!!

I know right... I was thinking the same. I've only got a 20kg allowance. So I'll have to plan it well. Got pressies for everyone to fit in aswell.. I think I am going to take just enough shakes/soups for 5 days and as many bars as I can fit into my handheld. I will pick up a tin of meal replacement shakes in the Pharmacy near my mums. It's huge -like a large Boots and their health/fitness section is also very extensive. I'm sure I'd be able to find a similar alternative. As long as I keep to the VLCD concept I should be ok right? it's only 4 weeks. If I can keep my calorie and carb intake to a minimum I should be on track with weightloss.

Could you manage on shakes and a low carb meal every day? This shouldn't affect ketosis, and as long as the meal is low fat, shouldn't affect weight loss too much - although I would expect it to be slower. No need to worry about carrying extra weight with bars then :)

Just a thought ...

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the Tony Ferguson programme, this is readily available in SA, and they stock the range in the Chemist near me mums house. :clap: So, although it will not be a TFR, I suppose it still better than going back to my previous 3-5 full fat/full carb full everything meals a day before Exante. I know my dad is also on a low carb diet at the mo ( similar to Atkins) and he has lost about 60kg (130lb):eek: so I am sure the low carb meals won't be an issue. I am no longer craving sugar, or any sort of vices like chocolates or crisps or anything that would normally be loaded with bad carbs.

I suppose its really up to me, and what I choose to stick to. Ideally I would like to have been able to stuff a whole 4 weeks worth of Exante in my bag and carried on as I am now. I am doing and feeling great. This is day 6 on Exante, and I have never felt this good in a long time. (after 3 days on Diet Chef I wanted to commit suicide because the food was so bad and the diet was so hard to follow I was in a right state.) :9529:

But I really feel confident that I can make this work. Even on holiday. I am never going to go back to being the greedy little porker I use to be.:party0051:

I'm glad you've sorted that out in your mind. I fyour Dad is low carbing he might have some recipe ideas which will allow you to have a meal with him without coming out of ketosis?

Could you get a delivery sent straight to your mum's house in south africa?

Hope you have a great holiday x

heffer said:
Could you get a delivery sent straight to your mum's house in south africa?

Hope you have a great holiday x

Hello, not sure about that... I don't think the South African postal service is that reliable. It might take too long to get there. I doubt that is an option.

Can't wait for my hols. A proper summer at last heehee!

Hello Friends,

I'm going on holiday to South Africa for 4 weeks soon (7 September). Really looking forward to it. Plan on incorporating Vlcd in my holiday by doing TS/WS mixed. Is this going to be ok?.

My plan is to have a day of TS, followed by a day of WS so I'd be adding a meal every other day. I don't really drink so alcohol is not an issue. I'm going home to visit my family so I'm pretty sure my mum is going to want to force feed me and my days will consist of catching up with friends and family and them trying to feed me (we have a culture of food and social eating) at least the main foods are fish and seafoods and meats BBQ'd instead of loads of carbs added, they eat salads and pulses more than rice and potatoes so I'm sure I can pull it off. I'll be swimming a lot as well for added fitness

I'm planning on going back to full TS when I return to the UK in October.

My question is would I be able to take the Exante Packs abroad with me? I'd like to pack enough for a 3 x meals a day. Or should I look for a similar alternative when I'm out there? They have a huge variety of body sculpting/diet/fitness supplements in the main chemists out there so I'm sure I'd find a meal replacement shake or bar that would compare closely to Exante. Would this be advised? Has anyone had any experience with this? I really want to continue on the VLCD when away, as my diet so far has been really beneficial and I would like to keep on track.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.
TT

Hi,
It all boils down to the countries customs laws. Some countries don't allow foodstuffs to be taken in and particularly milk products. You need to contact the SA authorities before taking anything in otherwise they may take them off you at customs or even fine you. We are off to Australia end of October for 5 weeks and I'm gutted that I'm not allowed to take my Exante with me. Not worth the risk of trying to take any, they have sniffer dogs all around everyone in the customs lines and they can sniff out anything.. I'm planning on getting a similar product there and doing similar to WS. My daughter is looking at whats available there and comparing them with my Exante, hopefully she'll find a similar product and get some for my arrival. The only problem I have is the 27 hour plane journey.... :D

When I went on holiday last year (on a cruise) I just switched to low carb for 2 weeks (high fat and high calories, I did indulge in the breakfasts, and all the lovely meat & fish on offer); and I still lost 6lbs. So long as you make choices that work for you, you can still stay on track with your weight loss. As your Dad is doing low carb too, that may be a good option - or you can mix and match it with packs / or the Tony Ferguson stuff.

When I went on holiday last year (on a cruise) I just switched to low carb for 2 weeks (high fat and high calories, I did indulge in the breakfasts, and all the lovely meat & fish on offer); and I still lost 6lbs. So long as you make choices that work for you, you can still stay on track with your weight loss. As your Dad is doing low carb too, that may be a good option - or you can mix and match it with packs / or the Tony Ferguson stuff.

Hi Cybill, thanks for the advice. I think you are totally right. I am definitely going to need something like TF to keep me in the routine of including shakes and bars. I want to make it easy for myself to coninue with Exante when I return. I don't think I trust myself to fully go back onto just food yet, but combining a low carb with TF and a few normal days won't do me any more harm then I've done myself all these years.. :giggle:

FYI -I LOVE CRUISING!!! :clap: We have our third cruise booked for May next year and I was thinking how the Hell am I going to say NO to all that lovely food. He he! But I am sure by that time I will be so much better about eating and it won't be a problem. Cruising has the extra bonus of all that exploring and the days out walking. Afternoons swimming. I might have to give myself two weeks off when I go on the cruise..

Hi,
It all boils down to the countries customs laws. Some countries don't allow foodstuffs to be taken in and particularly milk products. You need to contact the SA authorities before taking anything in otherwise they may take them off you at customs or even fine you. We are off to Australia end of October for 5 weeks and I'm gutted that I'm not allowed to take my Exante with me. Not worth the risk of trying to take any, they have sniffer dogs all around everyone in the customs lines and they can sniff out anything.. I'm planning on getting a similar product there and doing similar to WS. My daughter is looking at whats available there and comparing them with my Exante, hopefully she'll find a similar product and get some for my arrival. The only problem I have is the 27 hour plane journey.... :D

couldnt you take just 3 things ie 1day have 1 in the airport before you go thru customs and then carry the other 2 in in ur hand luggage and have them on the plain i cnt remember how strict they on food now. but if that fails then maybe depending on what airport your going to you can nip into boots just before you get on the plain and either get 2 simfasts or 2/3 other meal repacement things :eek:) xx

Thanks for all the input ladies. I've done some Googling and it would seem that I can take powdered meal replacement items and the bars on my flights into the country. I will have to pack them in the hold luggage but I'll stick 3 packs an a few bars in my hand luggage. As far as I've read you are only banned from taking any fresh produce or meat products into another country. Any dry sealed prods seem to be ok. Phew, glad I got that sorted out. :happy036:

Back