5 Reasons

#GymBunny

#gymrat
There seems to be quite a few of us openly following TS and probably some who are lurking but doing exactly the same.

Reasons for what we’re doing can vary for each of us and some can be similar. What is probably common for all of us is forgetting why we’re doing this and forgetting how far we’ve come already - even those in their first few days.

I thought it would be nice for us to list (at least) five reasons (there can be more) for why we’re doing this. The only rule is that if a reason is achieved or becomes no longer valid, we mark it as complete and add another reason to the list until they’re exhausted.

I may be the only person to do this but feel free to follow suit:

1. I want to be able to do chin ups so need to be lighter
2. I want multiple cosmetic surgeries
3. I want to be healthy for me and my family
4. I don’t want to cringe at photographs and wish a better angle had been used.
5. I want to be able to enjoy food without being a slave to it.
6. I want to achieve the most athletic figure I can for a woman my age without being a professional - I have to be realistic and have a full time job ;)

Most of these will take a while to achieve but I’ll be glad to be able to refer back to this list to remind me when times are hard.

Hi think it’s a brilliant idea, and u have some really good reasons, hope u don’t mind me joining in

1. Be healthy and fit to run around with my toddler
2. To not get the dreaded hereditary diabetes that is lurking
3. To look good in what I wear and wear what I want (I know a bit vain)
4. Go on a holiday where I can get in a costume without thinking people are staring
5. To live a long and healthy life for my family
6. Get rid of this pesky pcos if it’s possiable

😊 thank you

Great reasons Comet!

You note one as vain. All of mine would be vain and if I’m honest, the point about being healthy for my family sadly isn’t as high a priority as it should be. It will become more important as time goes by but the need to feel good about myself is so crucial right now. I’ve spent years feeling crap, less worthy than others, awkward and embarrassed and it needs to stop!

My list could be endless if I really broke it down. Like ordering fish and chips (or some form of junk) and not feeling like I have multiple eyes boring into my back thinking to themselves “what does that fat @*$#! need with all that food - she’s eaten a whale already!” Etc etc.

Glad you shared :)

This is a super cool thread idea, Bunny.

Also I think it's really .. I dunno ... illustrative of something that we tend to see any act that makes us feel good about ourselves or our bodies as "vain" or selfish somehow. It's almost like we've tricked ourselves into believing we deserve to be fat and miserable :(

Here are my reasons. There's only 3 because (much like me) they're really broad ;)

1. I don't want to die - seriously, my health has suffered horrendously by being obese. I used to come home from work and fall asleep almost immediately, despite sleeping through the night again, because I had zero energy.

2. I want to improve my relationship with myself - I think there's a thing where society sees fat people as somehow indulging themselves. But getting fat to the extent I'm fat is basically self punishment. It isn't fun. It doesn't feel good. It's miserable. So by going on this diet and taking care of my body both during and after I want to learn how to treat myself well.

3. I want to have fun again - as above, being fat is rubbish. It saps your energy so you can't do anything and it makes you self-conscious so you don't want to do anything except hide and eat. So, yeah, I want to be able to do things without feel tired, uncomfortable or embarrassed. I mean, I don't want to sky dive or climb Everest or anything like that. But being able to go to the theatre would be nice.

I would say yours are very mature reasons Casting! I don’t want to die either but I think I’m still in denial on that one in terms of health concerns. Hell, I’m only quitting smoking because I want surgery. I have some growing up to do!

I remember my hips touching the arms of cinema seats. Now I can wedge my Mary Poppins size bag between me and one of the arms!

I remember being mortified (and surprised) when I nearly didn’t fit on a ride at Alton Towers. Never thought it would be me but I actually sat in the ‘try me’ chair at the front of all the queues for the rest of the rides, just in case. That was one of the occasions where I vowed to lose weight. I felt such a loss of dignity and with only me to blame.

Last edited:
Love this thread @gymbunny ! Such a good idea to remind us why we're each all doing this 💪

My reasons are:

1. I've had health problems for 18 months now and the Docs haven't 100% got to the bottom of it - I'm 32 and very low in oestrogen (I have to wear hrt patches to try and boost it 😕), have irregular periods and get palpitations. I've been tested to the hilt for everything and anything but struggling to hit the nail on the head, I suspect though that junk food (and my diet was horrendous) has made me insulin resistant with possible pcos (have yet to be tested for this but have heard vlcd/weight loss can help). So my health is the number 1 reason.

2. I want to be ok about photos being taken. In my early twenties I weighed around 9st and never minded having my pic taken. But recently, even if we go on holiday, I avoid it like the plague which I just think is a shame.

3. I want to be able to wear stuff that I like. I miss being interested in clothes. Now it's just leggings and jeans and a forgiving t-shirt. I used to like fashion and it gave me enjoyment. I want that back.

4. I want to learn control around food and break my binging. I want to eat food like a 'normal' person and know when to stop - and I think exante / vlcd is the way to teach me this.

5. I want to be fit. I want to run without everything wobbling. I want to go on holiday and not feel like 'all this walking is too much for me'.

Basically I don't want being overweight to interfere so much with my life - and I'm going to 100% reach my goal...my wobbly bits days are numbered! 💪

GymBunny I think this thread is a fabulous idea!

1. I want to improve my health and long term health related issues if I stay this size.

2. I want to have a better body image and look and feel better in what I wear.

3. I have a wardrobe full of clothes I want to wear again.

4. I want to reset my eating habits and portion control.

5. I want to loose all the embarrassment I feel being overweight. The worst for me was being on holiday recently and breaking the toilet seat in our en-suite room. My husband assumed I had broken it by standing on it to close a velux window. I was so ashamed it had cracked by my fat arse sitting on it I didn't correct him when he reported it! Its what I use for motivation to remind myself when I have a moment of temptation to eat something off plan!

Loz x

There are some awesome reasons here - not that it comes as any surprise. I’m looking forward to reviewing mine in a few months and see what I can tick off or add to - who knows how my thoughts may have changed :)

Awesome idea!
1. I want to play with my children and not feel silly.
2. I want to enjoy exercise and feel that rush when you push your body without causing serious damage to my joints.
3. I want to be able to walk into a shop and pick up my size and not hide the size on the hanger.
4. I want to be desired..I want my husband to look at me and feel passion..if I'm honest I want other men to look at me too and think..she's a bit of all right (please don't assume I would act on it as I wouldn't but the idea of being pretty to men excites me)
5. I want to know that I control food, not the other way round.
There's loads more but I'll stop there 🤣

Great thread Gym Bunny 😀
My 5........

1) I’d like to be around for my grandchildren (and children) for as long as possible
2) I’d like to reverse my type 2 diabetes which has been completely out of control since Christmas
3) It would be nice to see a photo of myself without cringing and pleading for it not to be put online!
4) I’d like to be able to be more active. I have several conditions which hamper this and losing weight would help a lot of them
5) If I did get more active, I’d like to sit on a plane without needing a seat-belt extension 😂

I like this post, good to look back on when I feel like caving, these are mine:

1. I want to be healthy for my children
2. I don't want to be nervous about seats, I've become a bit anxious all of a sudden by seats, like seats on a flight, cinema, theatre, even in pubs checking if the arms are wide enough, driving me nuts.
3. Love to be able to go into any shop and buy something, not always look for the plus size section, although I'm into fashion and feel I dress well just would like to look better hahha
4. In the last month my righ5 knee is giving me pain when getting up.off setee or chair, what's that all about!!! I'm in my 30s not 80s.
5. Feel more confident in the bedroom 😉😉

Back