50 shades of grey books

Some of the posts have made me feel bad for liking them!! I am well educated and well read but I still loved them.

I was drawn in to the story, shocked at the sex scenes and thrilled overall. Escapism.

Well done Ms James for bringing your trilogy to the masses.

Roll on the book from Christian's perspective!

I'm the same, I read a massive variety of things (on average 2 books per month) and I enjoyed these books. Purely because I've not read anything like it before and I was curious over the hype. They don't proclaim to be literary masterpieces but they were entertaining. People are of course entitled to their own opinions but don't make others feel bad for reading and enjoying them.

I'm pleased to be reading and enjoying a book and some of the comments about them being badly written have made me feel a bit dim.
I'm not sure what makes them badly written. Some of the words are repeated but I think that's part of what makes me feel like I know the characters as people do tend to use similar phrases perhaps a writer 'shouldn't' but its not an essay its a story and I feel it works. I also like the inner goddess as I'd like to feel I could have a bit of goddess in me especially as I don't feel like one outwardly ;-p
I would love to have written the books and find them inspiring in that way too.

I have just started book 1 much to my hubbys disgust lol, its such a good read really enjoying it already ordered 2 and 3 from amazon already

I don't think any of the comments are too harsh BTW. Everyone likes different things and just because I think 50 shades is utter mass produced drivel shouldn't make anyone feel bad. Im sure Ive loved books that others think are awful. I wouldnt let it get to ya!!! The thread is here for people's opinion and that's what people are giving.

I don't think any of the comments are too harsh BTW. Everyone likes different things and just because I think 50 shades is utter mass produced drivel shouldn't make anyone feel bad. Im sure Ive loved books that others think are awful. I wouldnt let it get to ya!!! The thread is here for people's opinion and that's what people are giving.

Exactly.
I didn't like the book because I found it tedious and repetitive, not because I think I'm too intelligent for it!
And I certainly wouldn't think someone was dim or uneducated for enjoying it.

Blueway said:
Exactly.
I didn't like the book because I found it tedious and repetitive, not because I think I'm too intelligent for it!
And I certainly wouldn't think someone was dim or uneducated for enjoying it.

Totally agree Blueway and at the risk of repeating myself (!) I think she's done an amazing job of capturing the imagination of so many people that she can only be congratulated on her success. I'd do the same in her shoes.

I think my main problem is all the hype. I've has more than one person tell me how amazing it is and " it's bigger than Harry potter you know". Good for el James for turning this into such a hit but I'm sick of it being rammed down my throat that I must read it. I personally think everyone should read lots of my fave books but I don't continually tell them. I'm glad it's getting people reading who wouldn't normally and don't for a second judge people as dim or whatever who enjoyed it just give it a rest with insisting everyone MUST read it.

And incidentally it isn't bigger than Harry potter. It has sold more paperbacks true and has outsold it on amazon but I don't think 35 million copies is quite as much as 400 million no matter how the papers spin it. (no one hates on my Harry potter ;-) )

I'm pleased to be reading and enjoying a book and some of the comments about them being badly written have made me feel a bit dim.
I'm not sure what makes them badly written. Some of the words are repeated but I think that's part of what makes me feel like I know the characters as people do tend to use similar phrases perhaps a writer 'shouldn't' but its not an essay its a story and I feel it works. I also like the inner goddess as I'd like to feel I could have a bit of goddess in me especially as I don't feel like one outwardly ;-p
I would love to have written the books and find them inspiring in that way too.

Totally agree with you about the "inner goddess"!

I loved the books. found them very easy to read. what i love is the hype on Facebook as to who is going to play Christian. All the suggestions seem to be for brooding men with brown hair when Christian is auburn!!! dont see how the film will be so successful as they are going to have to film above the waist.
anyway have to go now as we are redecorating our spare room. painting it a lovely shade of RED......

ps i refuse to read "50 Shades of Chav"

I reckon Damien Lewis for Christian!

I had a really wierd conversation with my sons girlfriend over these Books, son borrowed mine to give to her (make of that what you will :giggle:)

She is studying english lit and critiqed them, it really made me giggle, i ended up telling her it was meant to be a literery gem just light reading and escapism. (oh and of course all about the sex :eek:)

I loved the books. I literally couldn't put them down until I had read them all. And after I had withdrawal symptoms for a few days. I needed Mr Gray in my life!

Back