A bit of support needed!

alioreilly

Hi, been doing well since last March - lost 41 lbs - slow but sure.

Anyway have had depression for many years and can normally "control" it to a degree. Recently I have started having panic attacks and my anxiety is through the roof. I am currently off work and the doctor is withdrawing me off my current anti-depressants. Sorry this is abit of a long one!

I feel so alone at the mo although I am married and do have family. So, apart from this to deal with, I have now started eating more and the weight is going up and up, feel like I'm letting myself down but feel really weak. Need some help so thought I would turn to these boards as I have had help in the past.

Thanks for listening!:(:(:(:(

I too suffer with depression, and when I am low I can find it so difficult to complete simple tasks and feel like I've really let myself and others around me down. Also, when I'm down I tend to either not eat, or binge eat and because I feel low I feel insecure about myself and a lot of my focus is on trying to diet as I feel if I could just do that then maybe everything else would fall into place?

I don't know if that's anything like what you're feeling but my advice would be to try to give yourself a break from worrying about what you're eating and focus on improving your mood and getting support to help manage your depression. Obviously I don't mean don't worry at all about what you eat and eat exactly what you want but don't put any pressure on yourself to eat perfectly or commit to a diet, maybe even see this as a chance to practice a maintenance diet for when you are at your goal weight.

But I think the very bottom line is, as I know how crippling depression is, don't put yourself down and as much as possible focus on the positives in your life and every achievement no matter how small you make each day.

I really hope you can find helpful ways to manage your depression and some support in your life and from the forum, and again don't beat yourself up, dieting is hard enough as it.

x

Back