A death in the Family

Jim

Big Boy
I had a phone call last night from Denmark, it seems my Uncle Erik, my Mother's brother died yesterday morning, considering we haven't seen or heard from them since my Father died 20 years ago it was somewhat of a surprise, luckily my Mother's phone is on permanent divert to us as she is deaf so I took it. My cousin Frankie Pedersen told me the funeral is on Monday, so I'm scouring the internet for flights over there on Sunday. I'm told I have a young niece (a cousins grandaughter?) who lives and works in Copenhagen is coming to the funeral as Erik was her grandfather, will meet me at the airport and take me to Aarhus. Seems so strange to hear from the Danish/Finnish/Swedish part of the family after all these years.

I'm not sad really leanne, although I met my Uncle many times when I was younger, I haven't seen or thought of him for many years. I'm sure my mum will be of course, he was her brother after all, she's now the last of her generation.

I'm sorry to hear about that. :(

You can get flights from norwegian.no to Copenhagen from Gatwick if that helps.

Haven't used them in a while but their flights are cheap and always good.

Just looked on Sunday - direct flight is about £100 (just over 1000,- nok) for a single, return flight is around the same price.

Thanks Pete, looks like I can fly direct from Birmingham which will be handy.

I'm hoping that this will be a chance to keep the Family back in touch again as Leanne says

Sorry Jim, Do hope this is a kick up the bum to get in touch with the family, will be interesting to meet new generations. x

Sorry to hear your news Jimbo, but it will be nice for you to meet up with that side of the family. Is your mum going with you or are you representing the UK?

Sorry to hear Jim. As everyone else has already said, it'll be a good opportunity to get to know your extended family.xx

Sorry to hear that Jim even though you weren't close. I haven't seen some of my cousins for over 20 years and expect the next time we meet will be at a funeral.

I don't think my Mum will be able to go, but you never know, maybe this will be enough to make her decide she can travel, we'll see. I'm going armed with email addresses, facebook details, phone numbers etc to pass on to them over there, so maybe the younger generation will keep in touch

Sorry for your loss Jim, but as the others have already said it's an opportunity to meet family members who otherwise would stay strangers.

Really sorry to hear that Jim.
Like everyone else says I do hope this will mean you can bridge the gap in the family
xx

Thanks all,

I'm just back from telling my Mum, she's upset, but doesn't feel she can make the journey, so I'll go and represent this side of the family

Hi Jim, i am sorry for your family loss but love the idea of using this to get people connected. I've often seen distant cousins form lovely relationships and it's also nice to be in touch with people in multiple countries:)

Hope the suit shopping goes well - been sneakily losing weight again?!

Sorry to hear of your loss Jim but can only echo what others have said about building bridges, good luck sorting out the flights (and your suit) xxx

Thanks guys,suit sorted it's so easy buying clothes now, I got a nice sombre suit at M&S for £150, so cheap that isn't it.

I weighed myself before I went, but I'm the same still, just under 13 1/2 stone, but I am slimmer, I wonder if it's because I'm not parked behind a desk all day. I'm 48" chest still, but now a 36 waist instead of 38". Colleen says my legs are thinner too.

sorry to hear your bad news ............... have a safe flight x

My condolences to you and your family jim.

Must be a very strange feeling for you Jim. Hope you all get through ok. Best wishes! xo

as already said, a death, though a sad thing, can curiously bring good from it too, ie getting connections re established.
such is life sometimes!

Back