A diary of a slimming world consultant

Not sad at all, sound very motivated and full of energy, just like my consultant. With an attitude like that you should go far :)

Haha I'm not a consultant not even one in training, just an interested SW member with a stationery fetish following the discussions on here :D

Thanks everyone :) I think I will take it.. an thanks rosie I might use that raffle idea if thats ok :)

Will be writing lots of notes this weekend and hopefully ill get it eeeeeek :)

Fingers and toes crossed for you xx
Dont fret too much about the interview, just be yourself and let your passion shine through xx
Dont forget your Food Optimising Book and take your before and after picture.

Thanks for the lovely comments. Its been a long couple of months but has been worth it.
I had my first ever phone call this afternoon, she sounded so nervous bless her. I think i put her at ease and promised to be at the door when she came in. The relief could be felt over the line.
My greatest wish is just to help people realise that losing weight and keeping it off doesnt have to be a chore but rather a life choice. Yes we have ups and downs but food is not the answer. If i can just help one person, all the sleepless nights and sore feet will be worth it :D

Hi,
I've just joined and subscribed to this thread. I have started reading from the start... but, it's quite long!

Anyway, I have passed my interview and credit checks and will be starting my group in September. I have pre-training on 27th July and days 1&2 at HO on 9th & 10th August :) - I've already booked my hotel!

It's all a bit of a whirlwind because I wasn't aiming to become a consultant until next January but, I quit my job and with the money I was paid out with I decided to put it towards becoming a consultant.

My daughter starts school full time in September and I thought it made sense for me to start then.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about everyone's experiences and well done to everyone who has started their new groups already.

Orla xx

Congratulations I hope it goes really well for you, are you going into this to make money?

Fingers and toes crossed for you xx
Dont fret too much about the interview, just be yourself and let your passion shine through xx
Dont forget your Food Optimising Book and take your before and after picture.

Thanks for the lovely comments. Its been a long couple of months but has been worth it.
I had my first ever phone call this afternoon, she sounded so nervous bless her. I think i put her at ease and promised to be at the door when she came in. The relief could be felt over the line.
My greatest wish is just to help people realise that losing weight and keeping it off doesnt have to be a chore but rather a life choice. Yes we have ups and downs but food is not the answer. If i can just help one person, all the sleepless nights and sore feet will be worth it :D

Ooh thanks I didnt think of taking that will have to print some out.. thars lovely having someone ringing :) I would love to insire some to come to my class its so exciting :) x

Congratulations I hope it goes really well for you, are you going into this to make money?

Not in it for the money. Really want to be able to make a difference to people's lives. Having suffered depression for many years I know what it's like to turn to food for comfort and then look at yourself in the mirror, disgusted with yourself for how you look. I'm not saying everyone is like this but losing weight has made such a difference to my life and I want to share that :)

Not in it for the money. Really want to be able to make a difference to people's lives. Having suffered depression for many years I know what it's like to turn to food for comfort and then look at yourself in the mirror, disgusted with yourself for how you look. I'm not saying everyone is like this but losing weight has made such a difference to my life and I want to share that :)

First of all congratulations on becoming a consultant allthetrimmings! I totally agree with this post. Doing a job where you actually believe in what you are doing and getting to help others through something you understand is a big deal. Same reason I'm doing it. It would be a bonus to make money but certainly not my motivation in doing it. Keep us updated on how you are getting on. X

I am SO glad I stumbled across this thread and want to say a huge thank you for all the honest input. I was approached about being a consultant and agreed to go to one of the info events, got very excited thinking that I'd found the perfect job for me, love slimming world, can't tell enough people about it, but to be honest I would need to earn a living from it rather than just do it to help people so when I've actually looked at the work involved + time to complete that work + on-going costs I have very quickly realized that as disappointing as it is this really isn't feasible for me :-( I really hope all you guys who have become Consultants become successful and continue to build large and profitable groups and I hope you continue this thread as I think it's been quite an insight for others like me!

I was like you LoveSW I got through the interview etc, had all the dates for training sorted had read on here all the comments and slowed the horses down and really looked at my life, I work 30 hours a week but only 29 weeks a year have a disabled 18 year old and a 12 year old and a hubby that works shifts..... all of a sudden reality set in and i realised that i physically couldn't juggle my life the way SW wanted me to..... i had to pull out at the final hour and say no thank you - the TD was Ok to start with then rang me 6 times to try to get me to change my mind saying i would be great, and deep down i think i would be too, but i had to put my family first so on those grounds i had to decline, the TD now won't speak to me and says that I have let the group down that i was supposed to be taking over and really laying on a guilt trip and as a result of that over the last month i have actually gained half a stone........... :-(

I was like you LoveSW I got through the interview etc, had all the dates for training sorted had read on here all the comments and slowed the horses down and really looked at my life, I work 30 hours a week but only 29 weeks a year have a disabled 18 year old and a 12 year old and a hubby that works shifts..... all of a sudden reality set in and i realised that i physically couldn't juggle my life the way SW wanted me to..... i had to pull out at the final hour and say no thank you - the TD was Ok to start with then rang me 6 times to try to get me to change my mind saying i would be great, and deep down i think i would be too, but i had to put my family first so on those grounds i had to decline, the TD now won't speak to me and says that I have let the group down that i was supposed to be taking over and really laying on a guilt trip and as a result of that over the last month i have actually gained half a stone........... :-(

Oh dear, regarding the weight gain and the unsympathetic TD, but a massive well done on you, in realising before it was too late that you could not possibly commit yourself to the hours necessary to make a successful SW group xxx

Yes you have to put your family first, and she would do exactly the same. Ok she may well be disappointed but by the sounds of things you made the right decision. They make it all sound so easy in the literature dont they? I have a different perspective now as I am on the social team and see far more than the other members how much work actually goes into being a consultant. She herself said she couldnt do s w and another job, even part time. And she has 6 groups.

For those who aren't doing it for the money but to help people re: depression through weight lost or just to help people with life their are loads of organizations that need people like you,train and you get better paid then what you get from Slimming World.

I can't understand why anyone would work for less than the minimium wage.Might as well volunteer at a local club/group where they need you more.:)

I know I couldn't do it for such little return just to line the pockets of those above.(slimming world):)

I absolutely agree with this.
We buy a business, I'm not in it to make a fortune, but 12 hours a week to make a loss or a tenner just isn't what I set out to do.
Those who do it purely to help are amazing and get a lot of admiration from me, but this is a business at the end of the day and if I continue to not make enough to justify the time spent then I will be off, no matter how much I love the job.

I must say, as a consultant, I agree with Cavegirl and Jaylou- I want to help people but I also want to make a living out of this.
I work 29 hours a week as well as running one group and its very hard work.

I've only done 2 groups so far (tonight is my 3rd) and I've made a loss both weeks, I have a small group, didn't fast track, high rent, I've told my TD if I haven't moved up a stage after 6 weeks, I'll be off.

And the frustrating thing is I've done my promotion, I couldn't have done more if I tried, ESP as I have another job and family, and several factors went against me, like the local council telling my to remove all my posters and my A frame.

As it stands I'm only allowed my A frame and banner up at my venue, which is rather pointless as unless you are going there, you wouldn't see them!!!

I love the job, but I need to make a decent living out of this in order to give up my 'day job' and I just can't see it happening.

I'm off up to HO for training days 3 & 4 at end of the week and I'm looking forward to it as I've made so many friends there but I'm expected to start leafleting (again!!) on Sunday, its just crazy!

Good luck to anyone starting out, it's a lot of hard work but very rewarding. Just be prepared to give up your life for a few months x

Do you think they are trying to get too many consultants in an area?Years ago I lived in a village so had to drive 3 miles to town where there used to be one consultant but she done 3 classes a week.And all 3 of her classes where packed.So she did manage to make money every week.

Now a days you walk around a town and see Slimming World posters with different names on everywhere.
Without a doubt. When I went to the ops event someone had just opened in my town and her classes were flying it - I assumed I could open in the next town but was told I'd be expected to open in the same area on a different night, they had not the framework to support me in another location(it's only 15mins up the road and I know people who travel a long way to go to class here in Ireland) - they wanted me basically competing with her for members. It seems as if they have a purposeful strategy to saturate an area before expanding to another.
Anyway, I could not see how I could guarantee myself an income and as a single parent, whilst I'd love to help motivate and inspire people I need to pay my rent and put food on the table first. Others earlier on this thread seemed to see it as an unwillingness to put in the effort on my part - however it was simply that I could not see the numbers stacking up when faced with ongoing rental costs, a loan to get the franchise started and daily household costs.
I both admire and envy those who are in a position to do SW consultancy as an altruistic concern. However, most things that are done out of a sense of giving don't require you to buy a franchise first.
I wish everyone who has become a consultant every success - you really put in the work to deserve it!

I agree with u just not worth the money u make. I did days 3 and 4 because like u I met lovey people but both me and the girl in the next town across from me I did training with we're scheduled to do days 5 and 6 but we both resigned before then because it wouldn't b worth dishing out another 100 for a hotel plus petrol. Just a few things to bare in mind when becoming a consultant x

We have a new Distict Manager and on my weekly call this week my TD let slip that the new DM had told her to make me jump through hoops!!!! :()

I am gutted, I am trying my best, I work 3 full days a week have a wonderful family I want to spend as much time as I can with them during the time left at weekends, I am up for the promotional campaigns and will do my best and I am doing that but to suggest I go out doing loads and loads of other stuff to get more members, in what little family time I have left has upset me. I get enough pressure in my day job and didn't sign up to this to get more grief and I certainly don't make enough from my group (£10-£13 a week) to warrant it or to jump through hoops for anyone.

My members are happy, keep coming back week in, week out and I have the highest average member weight loss in our patch (approx 17 groups) my retention is above the expectation too (92.5% av in last 2 months) , so why does it have to be pushed- I'm feeling so disillusioned at the moment :(

Last edited:
Aw that seems very harsh! You can only do so much. The more I hear about this the more I'm glad I didnt go for it myself. My c did ask me, but as I am retired now I really dont want to go back to work again. I am too busy with other things, but am more than happy to help my c out on her social team. Your retention sounds really good too. I can see why c's leave. Try to not let it get you down

They are harsh. It's push push push. I love it but won't do this forever!! Unless you don't work I don't think you can make a living at this, there's not though time to fully promote or support.

Back