A diary of a slimming world consultant

Standing up in front of everyone is the bit i am nervous about.
I shouldnt be as i know them but now instead of being the one just giving advice on a casual basis, i will be the one to guide them from day one.
What do i say on my first night?
What if they dont like me?
What if not everyone is happy i am taking over the group?
Alot of what ifs, but these things run around in my head lol

My TD is brill so im sure she will have some words of wisdom for me :D
They are a great group on the whole though.

They are the questions I have too!! It'll all be covered at pre training and full training.

I really hope that I don't lose all my members, lol!!

Oh and i got all my paperwork today. Its another lot to take in.

I dont have a dedicated bank account to use solely for Slimming World but i do have one i used when i was single, do you think that will be ok or do i need to open another one?

I'm sure that's fine, as long as its just for SW money and not anything else x

Hi All

It's perfectly normal to worry about your first night and standing up in front of everyone. I launched a brand new group so my entire new member talk was done to the whole room, yikes!!!!

All I will say is that your first night will absolutely fly by in a blur, (actually so do the others too) there will be so much going on, people arriving, paying, weighing, new members coming in etc your group will be finished before you know it and then you'll sit back and think 'did that really all just happen' lol treasure your first night cuz it is kind of special! Be warned though, if you are anything like I was, you're likely to come out buzzing and on such a high that you can't get to sleep haha!

Here are a few tips that may help some of you. One tip that was a godsend for me is to use the first night crib sheet you'll get in training or take your own notes to prompt you to remember what to say, it takes the pressure off and nobody minds you referring to a sheet :)

If you have long oblong shaped tables at your venue (wallpaper pasting size) a red single bed sheet (can be bought for as a little as £5 from a budget store) makes a great tablecloth ;)

Think about how you will get your gear into your venue, you may be lucky enough to be able to pull up close to the doors but otherwise think about investing in a trolley to wheel your boxes into the venue (I got a good one from Amazon for £24 its an Einhell folding truck) wear a pair of trainers for all the shifting and packing/unpacking, take a pair of shoes to change into for group. The unpacking/packing setting up and putting away is a workout in itself lol!

I launched just 7 weeks ago and have had my share of 'you've been framed moments' ;)

My first week was all new members, week 2 saw me get to try IT but I couldn't get my PDA to work, I stood there tapping it all night long, my TD commented that I made good use of my PDA but the truth is inside I was frantic because I couldn't get notes put in it and it wasn't working lol

On my 3rd week mid IT, my stylus completely snapped in half much to the giggles of my members!

On week 4 I dropped my raffle prize (a plastic colander filled with lots of superfree veg) the colander smashed, I had to take the colander out and wrap all the veg back up! That said I'm sure for all of you it will be alright on the night!!

If I can think of anything else that might be a good tip for you I'll let you know, I'll look forward to seeing how you all get on. Xx

Thanks for the tips AwaywitheFaries, i have copied and pasted for future reference :D
I will look into a trolley especially being short, carrying things is fine if you can see over them lol

Hannah, i will ask TD, we are meeting on Sunday for coffee.

They are the questions I have too!! It'll all be covered at pre training and full training.

I really hope that I don't lose all my members, lol!!

Same questions here too!!! The group I'm taking over isn't the one I normally attend so they will be strangers, not sure if that's better or not?

Same questions here too!!! The group I'm taking over isn't the one I normally attend so they will be strangers, not sure if that's better or not?

Im sure you will do fine :)

Any chance you could go and weigh in and meet a few of them before hand?

That might be a good thing!

I'm sure the members will be fine with me, it's just my current c, is retiring and she's been doing it for 9 years!! She'll be greatly missed. x

Awaywiththefairies, thank you very much for the tips, they are really helpful

hope weeks 5,6 &7 went a little bit smoother?!

Hi again girls,
I got my welcome pack today :) I'm setting my group up from scratch and have no choice but to get the cheaper franchise. I only went to opps event 2 weeks ago and had no idea you had to buy in until then. It all happened really quickly after that! My friend does graphic design so I'm sure she will help me make some beautiful visuals. I'm not going to panic!
For those of you that have training on 5th and 6th where are you staying? Do we get a put in touch with people that will be travelling up from our area?
Rosie, or if anyone else knows. Do slimming world pay towards our venue or is that totally our responsibility? X

Hi All,

Newbie poster here so thought I'd start off my requisite 50 posts with this one echoing the thanks that others have been giving to Rosie for creating this thread and also to the many other new Consultants now adding to Rosie's insights with their own views on the realities of a SW consultant.

I returned to SW after 15 years away due to work/travel and other realities of life and happily rejoined last October to find the plan was easier than ever and really suited me. After some quick initial losses and a lot of enthusiasm in group on my part, my Consultant suggested I might be interested in attending an opportunity event and has subsequently mentioned it a couple of times after my initial hesitation.

Although I was intrigued and curious to learn more, especially since I like most on SW am a full on evangelist to anyone who will listen, I held back from attending the opportunity event as I am taking a well earned break after a number of years in a high stress job and really didn't want to jump straight into anything new, especially something that I had an inkling may turn out to be just as stressful.

Instead I scoured the internet for any and every piece of information I could find, which was pretty sparse, but then by accident found this thread. It was exactly the kind of insight I had been looking for and gave far more in depth information that I'd seen anywhere else I'd looked. It has helped confirm that at the moment it's probably not the right thing for me to do, however I still follow the thread with great interest to see how all those who have taken the leap are getting on.

So thank you in particular to Rosie for starting the thread and best of luck with whichever path you choose once you hang up your PDA and to all the other consultants - please keep posting! :)

Good morning all. Its 6am and i have been wide awake since 4:30am :eek:

I just cant sleep lol

I have started my editorial, who knew writing about your weight loss journey would be so hard.
I also started getting some things together, most importantly a kettle and coffee :D

I have been toying with the idea of going with the second option, im not very arty and as my group is already established i really want them to have everything they are used to, books, visuals etc.
My first consultant never had all the visuals and we always had to ask her to order books, it was a bit disappointing to be honest. When she left, my TD took over and it now looks and feels professional.
I know its a lot to fork out but its amazing the difference it makes to walk into a room laid out properly.

Laura, whereabouts are you?
Sorry but our op event seems like ages away and my memory is naff to be honest lol
If you want to meet for a coffee, Didcot has a lovely Boswells cafe :D
Or, you could always pop over on a Tuesday for weigh in ;) I will make the coffee :)

Good morning all. Its 6am and i have been wide awake since 4:30am :eek:

I just cant sleep lol

I have started my editorial, who knew writing about your weight loss journey would be so hard.
I also started getting some things together, most importantly a kettle and coffee :D

I have been toying with the idea of going with the second option, im not very arty and as my group is already established i really want them to have everything they are used to, books, visuals etc.
My first consultant never had all the visuals and we always had to ask her to order books, it was a bit disappointing to be honest. When she left, my TD took over and it now looks and feels professional.
I know its a lot to fork out but its amazing the difference it makes to walk into a room laid out properly.

Laura, whereabouts are you?
Sorry but our op event seems like ages away and my memory is naff to be honest lol
If you want to meet for a coffee, Didcot has a lovely Boswells cafe :D
Or, you could always pop over on a Tuesday for weigh in ;) I will make the coffee :)

Good morning,

It is soooo hard to write about yourself, isn't it?! My editorial is 874! Needs some editing! I was on a roll and thought lets just write it and edit later.

I completely understand about the options etc... The group I went to about 2 years ago, the c didn't have any visuals or recipe books etc... I found that really off putting if I'm honest. As a member I like to walk in and immediately feel the sense of SW. I like having the choice of books, mags, etc.... I'm quite a visual person anyway and that's the way I work best. I'm going to make my room look very visual. Already started on new boards that'll be up every week at group.

Really wanted my pre training last night so things would seem real! It hasn't all sunk in properly yet!

My c has been so lovely and encouraging, I couldn't have asked for more!

x

Morning all, well after a busy non SW day yesterday. Got home at 11.30 and took my welcome pack to bed with me lol. Read hrough contract and seems ok. Still undecided about buying the stuff of my friend as now I look at the pack details I will be getting duplicates of things I do not need like extra A Board and I am unsure how much from original pack will be missing. If I do not buy it I will feel back saying no to her but as my husband said " this will be YOUR business and no room for sentiment. Do what YOU want ". I just like the idea of everything shines and new and actually going and buying boxes etc which I choose myself if that makes sense lol

Things to buy list......can anyone add to this....

cash tins for pay and shops
boxes for certificates
Box for award stickers.....not sure where I get this one
some a4 binders and poli pockets
Notepads
Pens / markers/ blue tack
Red sheets for table cloth
Fruit bowl storage boxes for stationary etc
Calculator for shop
Labels with details for members books.......ebay I think
Business cards.......going to order some of vista print.

can anyone add to my list please ?

Morning all, well after a busy non SW day yesterday. Got home at 11.30 and took my welcome pack to bed with me lol. Read hrough contract and seems ok. Still undecided about buying the stuff of my friend as now I look at the pack details I will be getting duplicates of things I do not need like extra A Board and I am unsure how much from original pack will be missing. If I do not buy it I will feel back saying no to her but as my husband said " this will be YOUR business and no room for sentiment. Do what YOU want ". I just like the idea of everything shines and new and actually going and buying boxes etc which I choose myself if that makes sense lol

boxes for certificates
Notepads
Calculator for shop

On the tablecloth front, my C doesn't use any so I'm not sure how important they are?

Only other thing I'd add to your list is a basket of some kind for your SOTW prize.
Otherwise you've pretty much covered everything! And my C said Staples is the best place for it all.
And Vista Print are so cheap- I've ordered stuff off there before and it's brilliant value for money!

Got my pre training tomorrow eek!

boxes for certificates
Notepads
Calculator for shop

Funnily enough I'm doing my list now too!! How about some new cups? Tea, coffee, light hot chocolate? Kettle.

Yes a good basket is essential!

x

On the tablecloth front, my C doesn't use any so I'm not sure how important they are?

Only other thing I'd add to your list is a basket of some kind for your SOTW prize.
Otherwise you've pretty much covered everything! And my C said Staples is the best place for it all.
And Vista Print are so cheap- I've ordered stuff off there before and it's brilliant value for money!

Got my pre training tomorrow eek!

we do not have Staples here but plenty of £ shops etc which I will be trawling later lol seen the cash boxes on ebay.

my C has a file for favourite recipes people have tried out so think I am start one of those, she each page laminated in here's which I though was a good idea. Looks like that laminator I bought years ago and hardly use will be coming out of cupboard lolol

another thing in was thinking of, phone.....my mobile is unlimited calls and texts so thats ok but house phone is not as never use it lol. I see head off hone number is an 0844 number, wonder is there a normal number to use as do not want to be paying for calls if I do not need to.

Is it to early t start buying stuff as not even have pre training yet ? Lol

Good luck with tomorrow.

Funnily enough I'm doing my list now too!! How about some new cups? Tea, coffee, light hot chocolate? Kettle.

Yes a good basket is essential!

x

Hannah had though of the kettle/pump flask. Need t see the venue and see what facilities it has for making tea first. Realy hoping. Can get along to t this week even if not to class I am take over maybe to one of the over ones.

Just remember if buying a kettle for use, it needs to PAT tested before you can use it at the venue. It's worth checking with the venue and your C about it.

I can't use a kettle as my venue is a community/ football stadium and it has a bar so people have to use the facilities there

Back