A diary of a slimming world consultant

If the groups available are not the kind that you want to take, do you have the option to decline them and wait for another suitable one to come up or do you just have to take what's available?

Hi ya CopperPenny , I'm on the waiting list in my area ( Stevenage ) have been for the last few months , although I don't really mind waiting as it gets me nearer to target , just great to hear that your now off the list !!!!

If the groups available are not the kind that you want to take, do you have the option to decline them and wait for another suitable one to come up or do you just have to take what's available?

I was offered two different groups previous to the one I'm now training for! At the time when they came up I had too much going on in my personal life to even think about taking them...I'm out the other side of that now, have given up my job and am ready to go full steam ahead into it and give it my all!

Hey there roannegreenway, it is a great feeling getting a group and just can't wait to get started! My first official day as a consultant of that group will be in 8 weeks time so not long until the madness begins. Keep working on getting that target, you're doing fantastic! Fingers crossed and everything else that you get something soon.

Hello everyone I'm back!!

Hope everyone's group is going well

I quit mine 3 weeks ago now and for me it's such a relief but good luck to u all who have the time to put into it.

One word of warning I have for u all, keep check of your stock. Count it yourself after every group rather than rely on stock list on our world. My stock was out a bit and I've had to pay for the missing stock now :-(

Hi Rosie, Nice to hear from you. I did wonder if you had given it up, you said it was hard work with having a job as well. They say on the ads " a couple of hours a week". Yeh, right. I see how much work my c puts in, she said she couldnt do it and work as well. Some other people I got friendly with who were consultants and worked also gave it up. One said it was putting a strain on her marriage. But I dont want to appear too negative for all those who are about to become c's. I think it can be a wonderful career, and so rewarding, if you are prepared for all the hard work. Good luck Rosie in all that you decide to do. And good luck to everyone else embarking on this. Wishing you all well.:)

Hi Rosie, Nice to hear from you. I did wonder if you had given it up, you said it was hard work with having a job as well. They say on the ads " a couple of hours a week". Yeh, right. I see how much work my c puts in, she said she couldnt do it and work as well. Some other people I got friendly with who were consultants and worked also gave it up. One said it was putting a strain on her marriage. But I dont want to appear too negative for all those who are about to become c's. I think it can be a wonderful career, and so rewarding, if you are prepared for all the hard work. Good luck Rosie in all that you decide to do. And good luck to everyone else embarking on this. Wishing you all well.:)
Yes you're right- it is more than a couple of hours a week!!!

I must say Rosie, I can totally understand why you gave it up- I also work (not full time, but 4 long days a week) and it is a struggle juggling everything. Plus I'm married and have barely seen my husband over the last few weeks.
In fact last night, he BANNED me from doing SW work so he could spend some time with me lol.

The main reason I'm doing this is because I want to give up my other job eventually, so it may mean a struggle for a couple of years until I'm earning enough with SW to quit my other job but I'm prepared to do that as I want SW to be my career :)

My first group is on Monday and I'm incredibly nervous and excited at the same time! X

Fabulous youre at target Dougal. Well done! And hope all goes well with your new career! ps keep drinking "the coffee"

Lol I just LOVE that coffee, I hate other coffees now!!!

I don't think you can make a real go at being a consultant if you work as well. You can't do the community activities, the mummy groups, the day groups, the school activities - shops aren't open Sundays for posters etc.
the amazingly successful consultants only do SW, I think you can run a good group when working but you can't devote the time they really want unless you give up each night and weekends - the pr side is intense, they want a press release for everything!

Ive never made a first week call, only a text, I don't have time, i support by text too. I would say the 12-15 hours a week is about right but they expect so much more!!!!

I also don't want to put people off, and reading the excitement of those just starting out, I felt that too but my goodness, I wish I'd never started!!!!!!

I don't think you can make a real go at being a consultant if you work as well. You can't do the community activities, the mummy groups, the day groups, the school activities - shops aren't open Sundays for posters etc.
the amazingly successful consultants only do SW, I think you can run a good group when working but you can't devote the time they really want unless you give up each night and weekends - the pr side is intense, they want a press release for everything!

Ive never made a first week call, only a text, I don't have time, i support by text too. I would say the 12-15 hours a week is about right but they expect so much more!!!!

I also don't want to put people off, and reading the excitement of those just starting out, I felt that too but my goodness, I wish I'd never started!!!!!!
I agree, I haven't been able to do any community activities and struggled to get my posters out as well.

Thing is, I can't afford to give up my job to just do SW, its a catch 22 situation really.
I can only do my best and see what happens.

And I know the feeling- I sometimes wish I hadn't started this and that's before I've done my first group!!

Me neither Hun, it would take such a leap of faith to leave work. I'm lucky, my group isn't too bad, I earn a nice bit of pocket money which I haven't yet touched since I started in jan, but I wouldn't earn enough to leave work unless I left - if that makes sense!!!!!

Ladies, I know I'm just a constant stream of questions but I've got another one if you wouldn't mind ... what are these 'community activities' that you are talking about not having time to do?

Ladies, I know I'm just a constant stream of questions but I've got another one if you wouldn't mind ... what are these 'community activities' that you are talking about not having time to do?
Community activities can include but not limited to: a stall at your ocal supermarket or dressing your car up and parking it in the car park. Visiting mother & toddler groups, schools, churches etc. anything that gets a lot of people noticing you.
I work until 4pm Monday to Friday so i am going to park my car in the car park and make myself noticed. I cant visit places that arent open at the weekend so my TD said just do what i can. Postering is a nightmare too, so i am going to string a few together and tie them to my garden gate lol I have even taken to having a poster fixed to my rucksack lol
One of the girls at training had her group details embroidered on her jacket, sounds like a plan.
Banner placement is also a big no no here, so again, the car is going to pay its way and as its not on anyones property but mine, they cant do a thing :D

Community activities can include but not limited to: a stall at your ocal supermarket or dressing your car up and parking it in the car park. Visiting mother & toddler groups, schools, churches etc. anything that gets a lot of people noticing you.
I work until 4pm Monday to Friday so i am going to park my car in the car park and make myself noticed. I cant visit places that arent open at the weekend so my TD said just do what i can. Postering is a nightmare too, so i am going to string a few together and tie them to my garden gate lol I have even taken to having a poster fixed to my rucksack lol
One of the girls at training had her group details embroidered on her jacket, sounds like a plan.
Banner placement is also a big no no here, so again, the car is going to pay its way and as its not on anyones property but mine, they cant do a thing :D

Thanks Caz - that's really helpful. So essentially you've become a mobile advert for your group whether you are walking or driving :D That's dedication!

Community activities basically are talking to people!!!!!

As caz said, car with banner and posters on, fayres, car boot sales, mums and tots, supermarkets with free bags to give away - all extra time!!!! You need to be single and not working in my opinion!!!!

I absolutely agree with jaylou

ReAlly sorry to all of you who are so exited to embark on it but I wish someone had been this honest with me and I wish I didnt start slimming world if I'm honest.

But if u decide to go ahead I wish u every bit of luck in the world. I am still a member and if it wasn't for people like you becoming consultants then we couldn't lose weight :)

I am gutted about all this negativity on here. I work part time and am going in to this with my eyes very wide open. I know i am going to have to work extremely hard to pull this off and my husband and daughter very much aware of this. Surely the saying you reap your rewards!!!!!!!
I want to thank all those that have given info on here as its been fundamental in my decision making and i know if i didnt try i would always be left wondering. In the long run i want to help others achieve what i have

I am pleased I did it otherwise I would always be thinking what if....

I have walked away and lost my money but thats all it is. Money. Not a life destroying amount so I'm pleased I tried it

But we're just being honest with u. If I worked part time it may have worked out better for me however u will find nothing will be good enough for your team developer. They keep pushing and pushing u. Obviously for your Benefit and theirs.

Good luck with your decision

It's not negativity, its honesty.

I wish I didn't work so I could devote all my time to SW but I'm giving it my best shot.

It's very intense- every hour I'm not at work, I'm doing SW, its crazy and Jaylou and Rosie are right- your TD will push and push you.

I went into this with my eyes very wide open too but nothing or no one can prepare you for the sheer hard work you have to put in.

I open on Monday and I'm praying I get my 25 new members as I have a high rent and I will be seriously reconsidering wheatear or not to continue if I don't get my 25.

Back