A diary of a slimming world consultant

I made mine back within a couple of months. One of my groups is okay but still not as good as they would like. I doubt anyone would tell the real truth. Consultants get a cash bonus for recruiting a new consultant!!!
This is the most honest info around. When I was thinking about it I could hardly find any honest threads anywhere!!!!

Check out the toilets. The whole building is just amazing

View attachment 71954
These are indeed amazing toilets for a work environment, but did you never think 'the cut they take' is what pays for these (and all the other amazing spaces at HO). Same with the 'family feel' they create and the sense of belonging to something that is helping people. The psychology of this multi million pound industry is literally genius!! Even if you take on the challenge (and if in any doubt read this thread in it's entirety as its def a challenge), you will be working for less than the minimum wage but making SW very rich indeed....they'll have Moulton Brown soap in those toilets soon!!! And as someone else said, it's at absolutely zero risk to them, they've taken your £600/£1000 non refundable fee upfront! It quite literally is a money making masterclass....but you just won't be the one reaping the financial benefit! This is a business ladies, hard nosed, hard selling, no room for sentiment. They may have loved and looked after you as a member but cross over to become part of that business and you'll very quickly just become a sales number. This is the reality so go in with your eyes absolutely open!!!! However, as a "diet" this is the best one I've ever tried and it works so I'm staying on the happy clappy losing weight side so that I enjoy SW for evermore!!! X

I do find it sad from a Member's point of view, but I agree with LoveSW. I guess if they treated their members like their Consultants they would be out of business?

I have an interview tomo.morning but now im seriously reconsidering it after reading this thread.. I would have to work full time also so a bit worried..

thanks for your honestly and im really going to sit and have a think.. but then again u dont know untill you try I suppose...

we will see :) x

I have an interview tomo.morning but now im seriously reconsidering it after reading this thread.. I would have to work full time also so a bit worried..

thanks for your honestly and im really going to sit and have a think.. but then again u dont know untill you try I suppose...

Why don't you ask them about % turnover of consultants? In actual fact the reality is you should be interviewing them as you're investing in their franchise, they're not giving you a job with salary and expenses.

Anyway I'm going to shut up now, I didn't post to make anyone not follow their dreams, only to ensure you realize this is a sales business with a whole well thought out psychology behind it. I really do wish anyone who decides to invest their time and money the absolute best of luck x

Why don't you ask them about % turnover of consultants? In actual fact the reality is you should be interviewing them as you're investing in their franchise, they're not giving you a job with salary and expenses.

Good point LoveSW - I agree with your thought on interviewing SW

I did think that it was interesting that the price of the franchises was the same whether you were taking over an existing group or building a new one from scratch - with a new group you are taking on so much more risk and paying for the privilege, unless you're opening up somewhere that has no nearby groups and is ripe for the picking.

Given that, I would only consider taking over an existing group and would also only consider a multi session group with preferrably 4 sessions (2 morning, 2 evening) on the same day to get maximum return for my time invested. However, it would also depend on the area the group was in and the other groups in the surrounding area.

I would also want to know the historical numbers and financials for the group (surely any wise investor would want the same?) but I wonder whether SW would make that information available to me?

My impression purely from what I've read on here is that SW decides what group to offer you and you are so 'passionate' about helping people that you blindly accept it without any thought for financial viability as that's not what SW is about ;) (tongue in cheek for this bit - don't attack me!)

That's exactly right- you don't know until you try.

I've tried it and whilst I enjoy it, just got to see how it goes for a few more weeks before I decide what to do.

Having said that, several of the consultants on my training have done very well so it really does depend on a lot of factors.

Good luck with your interview x

Good point LoveSW - I agree with your thought on interviewing SW

I did think that it was interesting that the price of the franchises was the same whether you were taking over an existing group or building a new one from scratch - with a new group you are taking on so much more risk and paying for the privilege, unless you're opening up somewhere that has no nearby groups and is ripe for the picking.

Given that, I would only consider taking over an existing group and would also only consider a multi session group with preferrably 4 sessions (2 morning, 2 evening) on the same day to get maximum return for my time invested. However, it would also depend on the area the group was in and the other groups in the surrounding area.

I would also want to know the historical numbers and financials for the group (surely any wise investor would want the same?) but I wonder whether SW would make that information available to me?

My impression purely from what I've read on here is that SW decides what group to offer you and you are so 'passionate' about helping people that you blindly accept it without any thought for financial viability as that's not what SW is about ;) (tongue in cheek for this bit - don't attack me!)
Yes you are right Emma- SW pick the group for you.
I don't know about anyone else but mine was chosen for me because I live so close to it and I did tell them I wasn't prepared to take over a group on the other side of town as its the extra time to get there (and Colchester is a nightmare to drive around!).

Last night was my 3rd group and I had 22 members, 4 of them new so I'm building it up slowly.

Still only made £20 but given that my rent is £50 I'm £30 down.

If it wasn't for the sales of HiFi bars (Rocky Roads are by far the biggest seller, I'm getting through a box a week!!) I would be making a massive loss.

I have been told by my C that the area you set up in has to have 4000 people in the locale so how does that square with the fact they want a group on every street?

They want a group for every 4000 pop, not on every street. However, the village for my group has only 1700 houses so I have to do the outlying village, but then they overlap with other areas!

They put you where they want but due to the turnover of consultants you are very likely to get an existing group.

It's such a tough one , my C turns over almost 50k a year and is always in the top 20 , he has over 300 members but I know he's a fluke , saying that its Stevenage and we are saturated with C and hence why I'm on a waiting list ( although may change soon as the census in my area clearly shows space and there's only one meeting on a morning and I want an evening one , although this has come to the attention of two other C who now want to relocate to here ...... Lets just say that me having one of the highest earners fighting my corner I'm grateful ...... It's very dog eat dog and I'm not completely comfortable with the way some C are underhand ..... Still I'm waiting for news x

I don't like the underhanded tactics either but it's business and I guess that's the way of the world. We all want to make money.
Who is your C Hun?

Tony Cole and we are doing everything we can to stop both C moving here because they are wanting to travel upto 15 miles to this one little area with no evening SW ( over my dead body !!! ) I get that younger need to relocate as your venue no longer can be used ( we have done it twice ) but to literally leave your members 15 miles away under the premise of needing to move is abit rich , as I told head office 20 mins ago that's not relocating that's starting up a new group and I really don't care what the fine print says lol ..... As yet still waiting for an answer but until I do it's just a waiting game !!! ( on the plus side I haven't lost any money !!! )

Yes you are right Emma- SW pick the group for you.
I don't know about anyone else but mine was chosen for me because I live so close to it and I did tell them I wasn't prepared to take over a group on the other side of town as its the extra time to get there (and Colchester is a nightmare to drive around!).

Last night was my 3rd group and I had 22 members, 4 of them new so I'm building it up slowly.

Still only made £20 but given that my rent is £50 I'm £30 down.

If it wasn't for the sales of HiFi bars (Rocky Roads are by far the biggest seller, I'm getting through a box a week!!) I would be making a massive loss.

I didn't think you made much on the Hifi bars, just a few pence? or is it due to high volume of sales of them?

I didn't think you made much on the Hifi bars, just a few pence? or is it due to high volume of sales of them?
You only make 10p on each packet but I sell loads- the Rocky Roads are such a big seller!!

45 packets in 3 weeks for a group that has about 20 members is quite impressive!!

You only make 10p on each packet but I sell loads- the Rocky Roads are such a big seller!!

45 packets in 3 weeks for a group that has about 20 members is quite impressive!!

Am I doing the Maths wrong.....is that £4.50 over 3 weeks to you and £83.25 to SW, yes it's impressive for them... Gosh how I wish I was Margaret (founder of SW), she must bath in champagne ;-)

SW are very cunning, they know exactly what they are doing and everything has to be done fast..... thats because you start off with nerves having an interview, then when they ring you to tell you that it was a success they start ploughing dates into your diary and before you have time to come down of cloud 9 'because you are gonna be a consultant' you hand over your hard earnt money and then the reality of it sinks in...... they are looking for people that can doat on sw at the interview and if you come over passionate enough they will offer you the opportunity and quickly before you calm down..... all i would say is think about it long and hard read that contract thoroughly and keep you eyes open..... a business is to make money and after all this is going to be your business not theres! As someone said earlier if its just to help people the reason you are going into it - then go and speak to Samaritans coz they are always looking for volunteers xx

Back