A diary of a slimming world consultant

You will only get the bible at per training, not before. It's part of the franchise.
They tell you all about promotion and earning percentages etc at the opps event.

Yea there is loads of information at the evening event and you can ask as many questions as you like, then you can call the manger and ask any questions or concerns you have and they will go through everything with you, pre training they go into more depth about the business and commitment and you can still say no if its not for you.

That's good to know, thanks for the info. That's still quite a way down the road, though, and I'd like to read the 'bible' beforehand and see how it all works, and what the strategies are that I'd be expected to follow.

The Secrets of Success are more a training manual. Nothing you need to read before you decide whether or not to take the plunge. There is nothing in there but how to do things the right way to ensure you are following Slimming World policy.

If you are staying to group, you will see most of what is in there, in action.
It looks alot easier to do than it is at first lol

But with all the training and guidance, you will find it gets easier. Nobody expects you to know everything on night one. But you will learn alot on the way.

The most important qualification is to be a very caring person who wants to help others reach their target.

Caz xx

Thank you so much for all the information in this thread. I have been to an opps event and have my interview on Friday. Mostly am very positive about the prospect :) - but obviously am also having a few wobbles about jumping in!! :confused:

well done they dont hang around with training lol. you wont have time to think soon lol. i had my second group last night and had 53 through the door and fast tracked to stage 3. im over the moon to be honest.

And so you should be!!!! Huge well done, that is fantastic xx

I'm glad I've found this thread- I've been toying with the idea of late.if I could find a group at the right time, and one which isn't surrounded by others like much of norwich is then it could be a winner. I work part time although I often work full time hours, I could drop my hours though so in theory I have the time to promote etc. plus I can get any paperwork done on a night shift lol :)

im not sure if u could be a consultant though as I'm vegan? I can't imagine it myself although I guess we all follow the same plan but eat different food. Might be a good message to send out to people that if I can do it; anyone can!

Going to have a proper flick through the rest of the thread now. I'm not shy of working super long shifts, and my hours above contract are flexible so I could even fit them in around SW until it picks up.

do you get to chose what group/area you work in? Or do they chose it for you. There are certain areas of norwich which are saturated and I wouldn't want to start there. Have been to some of the groups myself and they are tiny, so not sure they make an awful lot.

Can you pair up? So have two of you set up the franchise?? Just wondering! :) thanks for this thread toying with the idea of being a consultant once I've done a bit of research. My main concerns are not many members turning up and finding time to leaflet. I hated when I was a newspaper girl 13 years ago. Vowed to nerve go back haha!

Last edited:
I'm glad I've found this thread- I've been toying with the idea of late.if I could find a group at the right time, and one which isn't surrounded by others like much of norwich is then it could be a winner. I work part time although I often work full time hours, I could drop my hours though so in theory I have the time to promote etc. plus I can get any paperwork done on a night shift lol :)

im not sure if u could be a consultant though as I'm vegan? I can't imagine it myself although I guess we all follow the same plan but eat different food. Might be a good message to send out to people that if I can do it; anyone can!

Going to have a proper flick through the rest of the thread now. I'm not shy of working super long shifts, and my hours above contract are flexible so I could even fit them in around SW until it picks up.

do you get to chose what group/area you work in? Or do they chose it for you. There are certain areas of norwich which are saturated and I wouldn't want to start there. Have been to some of the groups myself and they are tiny, so not sure they make an awful lot.
I think it would fab for a vegan to be a consultant because as you say, a lot of vegans will think its impossible and you've proved that theory wrong!

They choose a group for you but you do have a chance to say no to it and they find you something else.
They basically look at groups closet to where you live- my group is a 5 minute drive away, I had a choice between that or starting a brand new one in a venue other side of Colchester.

A lot to think about, but I'd say worth going to an Opps event to get more of an idea.
Its a life changing thing, it takes over your life and there's highs and lows. You seem like a very hard working determined individual so I think you'll do just fine :)

Can you pair up? So have two of you set up the franchise?? Just wondering! :) thanks for this thread toying with the idea of being a consultant once I've done a bit of research. My main concerns are not many members turning up and finding time to leaflet. I hated when I was a newspaper girl 13 years ago. Vowed to nerve go back haha!
I don't think you can, as its YOUR business. And obv only one consultant can run a group.

My group is a slow burner- took over with 15 members and only now getting 32 though the door after 13 weeks.
Leafleting is hard work and it involves giving up 3 Sundays. You will find friends and family very reluctant to help, just because its on a Sunday.

On the plus side, the bulk of my new members have come from leafleting so its worthwhile.

Do you have to do leafleting on a Sunday? I work every other weekend so it won't be possible but I have weekdays off instead so could do it then. I'd be most nervous about promotion I've never done anything like it before !!

Also all the groups I've been to on my end of the city have been very quiet :/

Do you have to do leafleting on a Sunday? I work every other weekend so it won't be possible but I have weekdays off instead so could do it then. I'd be most nervous about promotion I've never done anything like it before !!

Also all the groups I've been to on my end of the city have been very quiet :/

You are meant to yes.
However if there's a bank holiday that falls on one of your leafleting weekends you can go out then as well.
Personally I did the first campaign on Sundays only but since then I do the leaflets when I can, all days of the week, as I'm not giving up more Sundays!!

And it's made no difference to my numbers either- I still get about 20% of my members from leaflets just like I did the first time round.

I think it's worth you going to your next Opps event and you can ask more questions about your local groups and find out which ones are on relief

OK so they are set weekends for leafletting? I work in a care home so bank holidays aren't guaranteed days off for me. I do have to work every other sunday (24 hour shift) so no chance of doing it on a work weekend...saturday would be OK, as would the Monday if i wasn't working. Hmmmmm

I've had them come through the door on weekdays...I guess its about catching the right time...I'm more worried about the amount of groups there already is in my area of Norwich. Out of all the local ones I've wieghed at, most of them were tiny! One was super busy - maybe 60-70 - and that wasn't too far from my house. But the closest ones were not good.

Promotion on a Sunday is a big thing. There is little other mail through a door on a Sunday so less chance of your leaflet being binned and more chance of it being read. Also you ate more likely to see people in their gardens, washing cars Etc so get tontalk to people. It's all part of the promotion plan to get maximum new. Start tweaking the promo and you weaken the whole thing.

That said, I do leaflet on a Saturday as well as the Sunday but I have an established group. I would say, the first time, only do Sunday and bank hols.

As for small groups, either they are not promoted enough or there is saturation, although this shouldn't happen.

The opps event will tell you all you need to know about that.

I found out last night that the consultant down the road from me is very upset that I'm opening my group so close to her's, she feels that SW have a plan to have only small groups so that the Take % is low for the consultant and SW get more!!!
i feel for her but I didn't ask to be put where I'm going and I have to say her group weren't particularly nice to me I wouldn't allow that sort of behaviour in my group.

I found out last night that the consultant down the road from me is very upset that I'm opening my group so close to her's, she feels that SW have a plan to have only small groups so that the Take % is low for the consultant and SW get more!!!
i feel for her but I didn't ask to be put where I'm going and I have to say her group weren't particularly nice to me I wouldn't allow that sort of behaviour in my group.

Not sure on that theory and I'm sure a TD wouldn't agree as the more you get, the more they get!
Ask to see the maps - a group should only be opened in a group of at least 4000 pop.

My editorial is done and my local SW organiser has looked at my venue and she thinks it absolutely perfect, my before shot is sorted and I'm waiting a few weeks before I do my after shot :) I have decided I'm going for the £1000 option as I want to be as corporate as I can right from the start I'm really excited now and I can't wait to get this show on the road ;)

Back