A diary of a slimming world consultant

Everything on this thread is 100% honest. The good, the bad & the ugly.

For a while it will be Slimming World 24/7. I feel that it's going to be quite a few weeks before I will be organised and have a set routine where I am not consumed with the job every single day. It's very intense...the training is intense and the commitment has to be with every fibre of your being.

I won't lie and say I haven't had many doubts and many fears. But...I'm building my future and that will take hard work...but I do think it will be worth it in the end.

If you are having doubts now though I think they will only get worse...definitely not better. But you know...sometimes it's worth that risk...taking up the challenge otherwise you will be forever saying...what if?
Thank you Jo loves SW. I've been up & down like a fiddlers elbow but overall I'm really excited. I think it's just the enormity of the task ahead. I'm totally up for it tho

Hi guys I am the one who started this thread many moons ago! I went on to be a consultant but it wasn't for me. I was in a bad place when I did it I was very slim through slimmin world and stress due to a cheating partner as well as my sisters partner having a motor bike accident leaving him brain damaged and my mum being diagnosed with multiple syrosis. Training to be a consultant gave me something positive to focus on. On my launch night on new years eve my partner cheated on me. Since then I met someone new and I wanted to spend all my time with the new man and slimming world took up a lot of my time as a lot of you know. So I gave it up. Since then I've had a baby who is now 11 weeks old and were due to be married in January. I have also rejoined slimming world as a member to lose weight for the wedding. I got happy and content. Then I got fat lol. Being off on maternity leave I do sometimes think I wish I still worked for slimming world. I can't read through 151 pages so can anyone give me an update? Did any of u go for it? Did it work out or did u quit like me? Lol. Looking forward to hearing from u x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Congratulations on the baby, so glad things are working out for you!

I have found this thread really useful and informative :0) it is lovely to see a few of you ladies doing so well with your groups, I was a bit worried for Hannah as she was so positive in the posts that I had read and then I skipped to more later posts and couldn't find any from her. Luckily she is doing well as I skipped back a few and she had posted. My sister is opening up a new group on 30th September so I will be helping her with the leaflets for the next 2 Sundays. She has persuaded me to go along to an Opportunity Event on Sat 27th September which I am looking forward to. I currently work part-time (3 evenings a week) and have 2 young sons both of which are now at school so I do feel that I can give this opportunity the time that it deserves.

Well done Jo how did you find promotion?

Thank you Gilly...

Well I won't lie...I hated the promotion. Delivering 3000 leaflets is pants lol. For one the weather was so bad that even though you can't get ill from getting soaking wet through...I did!!!!
People offer to help but then don't and it's damned hard work. Postmen are just Saints!
Postering, banner, A-frame...damn near impossible if you have an uncooperative council. I put my banner on my garage door!

However...Facebook has been fantastic. I got a terrific piece about me in the newspaper...and as we get a full page we get all the local clubs advertised every week as there is always a story.
I had posters in my car and had interest from that.

So I did get 28 new members and fast-tracked. Fingers crossed that this week, my 3rd week I get stage 4 but I honestly think it's a lot to do with luck, location and time of year. The promotion can be hit or miss.
Let's say I could have done better at leafleting and postering and I still managed to fast track. Someone could be all singing all dancing with bells and whistles and not fast track.

I have to start promoting my second group soon...yay haha

(I got one new member from a leaflet! Says it all)

Hi guys I am the one who started this thread many moons ago! I went on to be a consultant but it wasn't for me. I was in a bad place when I did it I was very slim through slimmin world and stress due to a cheating partner as well as my sisters partner having a motor bike accident leaving him brain damaged and my mum being diagnosed with multiple syrosis. Training to be a consultant gave me something positive to focus on. On my launch night on new years eve my partner cheated on me. Since then I met someone new and I wanted to spend all my time with the new man and slimming world took up a lot of my time as a lot of you know. So I gave it up. Since then I've had a baby who is now 11 weeks old and were due to be married in January. I have also rejoined slimming world as a member to lose weight for the wedding. I got happy and content. Then I got fat lol. Being off on maternity leave I do sometimes think I wish I still worked for slimming world. I can't read through 151 pages so can anyone give me an update? Did any of u go for it? Did it work out or did u quit like me? Lol. Looking forward to hearing from u x

So glad to hear how much you have moved on from your original post. Getting married and a baby...that's amazing and worth every pound you gained. You will be a slinky bride I know it.

I have had a rough time since starting this journey...not a story dissimilar to your own either. Men! Pah! I wanted to throw in the towel but I went ahead and I'm 3 weeks into relaunching my first group and take over my second in a few weeks. I have enquired about a third which I need to have a Cat D and a Cat C already up and running so I should be good to go on that one.

I'm not one of the this is so amazing, best job ever, so excited etc etc type of people. It's hard work, it's time consuming...I literally work at it every day at the minute and it requires 100% dedication.
But I want a career...I want a good lifestyle and it's a job I have done before. I love the job satisfaction of helping others too but that's just a part of it. If I want to help others I would just volunteer and save myself stress haha
To help members you have to be dedicated, available and professional. It's not a hobby and if you treat it that way I think you do your members and groups a disservice.

All this is my opinion of course and no offence to anyone. Like I say I was a consultant for a few years before and know the ups and downs anyway.
The groups I have taken over were run by the same woman and they are still devastated she left months later. She left because she couldn't cope with the job anymore (understandable) but testament to how good she was she has left a huge void in these peoples lives and I hear her name mentioned every week. People even stopped attending when she left (before I even joined...I don't know her) which is crazy as this journey is for themselves not their consultant...but what I'm trying to say is...this is what job you are taking on. People depend on you...take it seriously. It's not a hobby/extra income type of job...which I think is what it is seen as xx

Thank you Gilly...

Well I won't lie...I hated the promotion. Delivering 3000 leaflets is pants lol. For one the weather was so bad that even though you can't get ill from getting soaking wet through...I did!!!!
People offer to help but then don't and it's damned hard work. Postmen are just Saints!
Postering, banner, A-frame...damn near impossible if you have an uncooperative council. I put my banner on my garage door!

However...Facebook has been fantastic. I got a terrific piece about me in the newspaper...and as we get a full page we get all the local clubs advertised every week as there is always a story.
I had posters in my car and had interest from that.

So I did get 28 new members and fast-tracked. Fingers crossed that this week, my 3rd week I get stage 4 but I honestly think it's a lot to do with luck, location and time of year. The promotion can be hit or miss.
Let's say I could have done better at leafleting and postering and I still managed to fast track. Someone could be all singing all dancing with bells and whistles and not fast track.

I have to start promoting my second group soon...yay haha

(I got one new member from a leaflet! Says it all)

Lol thanks for the heads up :)

I have pretraining this Saturday & then training days 1,2 &3 on the 10th, 11th & 12th oct. I am relaunching a group though so I think the dates are slightly different.

well done to all the new consultants, I can't wait, exciting & tiring times ahead x

hi there i am new to this and i have been reading through everyones comments over the past few weeks, im just wondering could some one tell me how much it is to start up? i am aware that there has been an increase recently. i feel like i am ready to start up my own group as i am obsessed with slimmingworld and my own consultant is encouraging me to do it too.
also i am wondering if you have to pay the balance of the start up fee all in one go or is there a payment method?
thank you xx

Not sure what it is now but when I did it two years ago was just short of 1000 pound. Their are a couple of different options a slightly cheaper one but you get less equipment. As far as I kno you have to pay it all in one go. Bare in mind the hidden costs, ur extra equipment to set up petrol to derby a hotel for two nights at each training session and ur food costs etc I didn't make back the money I spent out :(

Hopefully someone will b along to give u more recent info

Good luck x

hi there i am new to this and i have been reading through everyones comments over the past few weeks, im just wondering could some one tell me how much it is to start up? i am aware that there has been an increase recently. i feel like i am ready to start up my own group as i am obsessed with slimmingworld and my own consultant is encouraging me to do it too.
also i am wondering if you have to pay the balance of the start up fee all in one go or is there a payment method?
thank you xx

Totally forgotten the correct fees from now/Oct but I think the £600 franchise is now £1000. Can't remember what it was for the full package or if something change where you have to take a full package. Seems moons ago now the Opp event event though it wasn't. I bought a double franchise and it was £1500. With a double you get the full package anyway.

But like Rosie says...that's the half of it. You have the data protection fee. Hotel and fuel costs for training. All the sundries. Raffle prizes. Then monthly meetings and quarterly district meetings which might not be near you so incur fuel costs. Then things like Woman of the Year, competitions etc...all costs.
refreshments...maybe having to buy mugs, kettle etc.
Postage, phone calls, texts (had to up my tariff) Inland revenue, advertising (demanded)
The award stickers are free but the award certificates aren't free. Car insurance.

Lots of costs are at the beginning admittedly but there are so many extras.

thank you ladies for telling me the true costs of setting up i am really wanting to do it, though i do not think the time is right for me to go ahead just yet, with the such high cost of starting up. Though i think i will still attend my next opp event to find out abit more info for in the future :)
Also i seen a comment on here saying you only earn 40% of your takings from your class, after you deduct the hire of the venue cost, im just wondering it that correct?
many thanks xx

thank you ladies for telling me the true costs of setting up i am really wanting to do it, though i do not think the time is right for me to go ahead just yet, with the such high cost of starting up. Though i think i will still attend my next opp event to find out abit more info for in the future :)
Also i seen a comment on here saying you only earn 40% of your takings from your class, after you deduct the hire of the venue cost, im just wondering it that correct?
many thanks xx

Hi Jodie, I don't know the % question but the franchise fee is now £1500 with everything included. I don't believe there is a cheaper option anymore, if anyone knows otherwise please correct me.

Hi there, would those consultants amongst you mind sharing what you are paying for your venue hire? I know that you obviously want to keep costs as low as possible & that the contract stipulates that anything more than £45 should be authorised by H/O, I was just wondering what the average is for 1 session room hire. 2.5/3 hrs. TIA

Venue fees vary on the venue, location, facilities etc. I pay £60 for a double session in a school. I've relaunched so that amount was beyond my control. It's from 16.30-21.30. I guess providing a school 52 weeks a year cost money! My other venue is a community hall...That's £50...or £10 an hour.
The venue cost comes out of your takings before you do anything else so the cost is jointly covered between SW and yourself.

Earnings start at 25%. Fast track your first night and you get 45% otherwise it's 25% minimum 6 weeks. Cat D group takes you to 50%.

The Opp. Event explains in detail the costs all round x

Back