A failure to success - now includes motivational wall! Pg4 for pics

custardlipstick

Addicted to Cheese
Edit: Hiya folks! Realise I havent been around here for ages but been really busy... dont worry though! Im now slimmer than I was this time last year :) good start! (see ticker underneither).

I have found what really helps though is my facebook page I have started, I post pics of teas daily along with food diaries and find that easier than on here as there is SO much going on I get distracted! If you fancy seeing how I get on feel free to add me and you have my full permission to share/tag yourself in my photos :) xx

Gonnabe Slimmer OR
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002206716739

Good Evening Peeps! How are we all? Good I hope!

Well thought I would start a diary, and I will promise to try and keep it to food discussion not general moaning about children :p I'm in that mood today after being abused by year9's! lol

Anyway bit about me first! My name is Kirsty :wavey: I am now 22, currently doing my NQT year as a Maths teacher. I was a SW success story. I say was as due to a range of circumstances, I have put (bar a few pounds) all the weight I lost back on in 1.5 years.

I was with MM's beloved Fern in YSOTY in 2009 and got to the final 6. I wasn't the winner but after it all finished and before I went home, one of the PR ladies pulled me to one side and said "well done, we will be in touch soon". This basically meant the next day I had a phone call asking me to be in the magazine! So guess who was cover girl nov/dec issue 09? Well if you didn't say me you should stop reading my diary now :p

I had a really bad placement while training and have comfort ate since, got into awful routeens and moving out to live with my partner didn't help! Nothing was consistent like it was in uni when I originally lost weight.

I tried again over the summer, with failure after my grandad died. Just couldn't focus. And its not a new years revolution, its just the right time for me to focus again. I have routeen and I'm trying everything I can to be as orgainsed as possible!! Taking soup to school is becoming a life-saver.

Some of you may have noticed me posting about my unhelpful collegues (yes the bickys will be out tomorrow! its after school meeting) So this will be a diary of my (hopeful!) sucess towards getting to target, (I was 2 pounds away 2 years ago!!!!!) and getting back to being able to go - I was a cover girl without feeling guilty. I hope to show we are all human and hope I've not disapointed any of you :(

Sorry for the essay!!xxx

Last edited:
Ok so today is my worst day teaching which has ended up me eating NOTHING until 1.15! Was starving. Not good. Meant to take a yog and cereal bar for breaky to scoff while I was sorting some work out and forgot then got too busy to eat the fruit I had!

So the yummmmmy lentil, tomato and bacon soup from EE book was my lunch, my wonderful OH had thankfully made maccaroni cheese for tea. Not much SF but ive got cherries and strawberries to much on later.

Also made those mini jaffa cakes using individual sponge cases, jelly and chocolate. Worked out at 6 syns each - gorgeous!! They dont keep well though so will have to scoff them all up ;) Ill pop pics on later! xx

Edit: Forgot to add - during afterschool meeting they had a huge tin of bickies out but because I was late coming back from the loo I didnt get an offers and I sat there eating my banana so didnt even have to avoid the annoying "go on... go on!" :D felt sooooo proud I managed to stay strong!

Last edited:
Nervous! Week 1 WI tomorrow :( scared....

Had a perfect day again, avoided chocolates being offered at lunch time. OH made me a gorgeous chilli con carne for tea and going to have left overs for lunch tomorrow.

Been thinking over the last couple of days about my obsession with food. Its not the food which is the issue in my opinion, its how I view it. If I allow myself to pick my syns wisely, on things I actually want I wont end up bindging on stuff I really dont want. I've been thinking through the logical arguement of "Would I prefer that yummy donut or a good weight loss?" If you had asked me 4 weeks ago I would have said donut! But now I'm thinking, well I can have the donut, in my syns if I really want it except I dont. What I do want is to be back to being slim again. You may disagree but loosing weight is nothing to do with food, its all in the head and now it feels like my head is fixed my body will be disapearing before my eyes!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow :) xx

Well done for being brave enough to try again Kirsty! Haha, I just snuck a look at the magazine and you look fantastic.

I did well a few years ago on SW (not quite as well as you though) and restarted on the 3rd Jan. My first week I worked my bum off and only lost 1lbs and 0 inches. I was gutted at first but after a little pep talk from my bloke who reminded me that "You have done it before, you can do it again. Just remember its a long journey so keep at it and see what happens next week." I got my head back in the game.

It definitely is a head thing though! Let hope both of ours stay "fixed" :D

Good luck tomorrow with your weigh in. Hopefully you will have a fantastic first week loss to keep your head in the right place :)

Well done for being brave enough to try again Kirsty! Haha, I just snuck a look at the magazine and you look fantastic.

I did well a few years ago on SW (not quite as well as you though) and restarted on the 3rd Jan. My first week I worked my bum off and only lost 1lbs and 0 inches. I was gutted at first but after a little pep talk from my bloke who reminded me that "You have done it before, you can do it again. Just remember its a long journey so keep at it and see what happens next week." I got my head back in the game.

Good luck tomorrow with your weigh in. Hopefully you will have a fantastic first week loss to keep your head in the right place :)

Thank you Nymple! I think sometimes its easier to be honest with other people than yourself, but keeping this diary even for a few days is making me conscious of what I do and think and eat!

Just found out I can now access this in work... oh dear nothing going to get no planning done now!! lol xx

custardlipstick said:
Thank you Nymple! I think sometimes its easier to be honest with other people than yourself, but keeping this diary even for a few days is making me conscious of what I do and think and eat!

Just found out I can now access this in work... oh dear nothing going to get no planning done now!! lol xx

I definitely think it's easier to be honest with other people than with yourself, especially online too. I keep meaning to start a diary on here but then get distracted by other peoples posts! I'm guessing you'd recommend it?

Haha yeah I discovered the app for my iPhone and find it hard not to sneak a peek at work! Oops!

Cant really comment on how much its helping, but its making me alot more honest than I would in a written diary as I feel like I want people to tell me off if ive been bad here!!

Anyway - back to the important bit!! I just got weighed, lost 4.5lbs! Over the moon! Cant remember the last time I lost that much... well it was probably about 3 years ago when I was this weight originally. This is even after an unexpected meal out, which went wrong, but I wrote everything down in my diary. So happy gotta change my sig now :D

Is it bad hoping for 2.5lbs next week? I've still got two WI's to meet my mini-target. Definately think ill manage that now. This has really helped, still 100% motivated for my 2nd mini-target! I'm going to try and not start the bad habbit of treat nights, last year they got really silly to the point where I spend the whole week trying to make up for the badness on that day! Dont wana live like that anymore. But.... I did by one of those gorgeous maltesar bunnies, 8.5?? I'm going to eat it anyway, lol I'll check it later ;) xxxx

Woo Hoo! Well Done! 4.5lbs is fantastic... YAY! :D Hopefully my Weight Loss will be good this week after last weeks silliness.

I don't think aiming for 2.5lbs is bad unless you do what I did last week where I was aiming for 2-3... only lost 1 and felt utterly dejected. To the point where it took me two days before I caught on to myself and realised it was still a blooming loss and I should be pleased! If you don't hit it just remember you still have an extra week to reach your mini target :)

I always used to binge after weigh in and then I realised that I was spending the first half of the week losing the weight I'd put on in that one evening so I've cut it down to a synable treat too.... or occasionally slightly over syn treats :rolleyes: but I don't go quite as crazy anymore.

Oh and the bunny is only 8 syns so you have a whole extra half a syn to play with haha. Enjoy it... It's well deserved.

Aww thanks Nymple! yourll have to let me know how you get on :) I wont feel utterly devistated if I dont get it as I tried to set myself really realistic targets so I wouldnt be disappointed and would not feel like I had failed again! 8 syns aint bad and they are really yummy!

Anyways, found out after posting last night my OH went for all you could eat pizza on monday! He weighs on the Wii every week and is meant to be loosing 2 stone ish but maintained after this, along with kebab friday and drinking on saturday night. The only reason Im annoyed is cause I know if that was me I would have put on 2lbs at least!

Food good today, left over chilli for lunch, rice and lamb mince stuffed peppers for tea from mag - gorgeous!! Had another one of those "yourll soon stop doing that" moments again with work today, young lad in yr8, very low ability can multiply so did him a few extra work sheets, took 5-10 mins max but now he got that "yes i get it" moment where he finally understands after all this years what it means! To me as a teacher that makes me feel great except I was told I shouldn't have bothered and should have just let him watch me to a lesson on grid method multiplication and let him get a muddled head! I thought I was doing the right thing except everyone around me is telling me not the bother. I’m definitely not telling them about my diet now! Well one whole week of it ;) the kids will know about my mag cover before the dept do! Lol I promised not to talk about work, I'm trying honest!

Nothing planned for weekend so far, would like a glass of wine within my syns and to stay incontrol for another 100% week again.... we can all dream!xx

Love the diary! Im an NQT in RE and started slimming world this week. Sometimes it can be really hard in school, especially when there is chocolate passed around. I sometimes give kids sweets as rewards and was very much 'one for them and one for me' but that wont happen anymore!!

Thanks Alice, its turning into more theropy than a diary! But I'm sure you understand exactly where I'm coming from. I have little presents like rubbers, pencils, pens, and then stickers with my name on which I use as rewards as I always think that food, especially sweets are used as rewards and it creates a negative association. I have given chocolate at end of term but watched a guy in assembly throw out about 20 sweets last week! Just because some kids gave half arsed answers to some silly questions. I personally think this is where the rewarding with sweet thigns comes from because while young, we are all give nice sweet things when we do good, no one ever gave me an apple! lol

Let me know how your losses go and your nqt year, only started mine last week and I'm already thinking I'm going mad!! xx

So its saturday! I have loads to do and so im on here procrastinating. Got a really easy recipe for tommy soup im trying out tomorrow for lunchs this week. Fancy a glass of wine, but I know it will end up as a bottle! Might send OH out and get one of those mini bottles, 6 syns? well spent.

So plan for tonight, syn free burgers made using a burger press it makes a huge difference, with lots of salad, sides and then free pancakes for desert! OH has this view that when on SW the less syns the better, so will actively incourage me not to have any! It's mad, and annoying lol but at least its in the right direction. He can manage all week without using many but I cant. Is this common with all men or just mine? So odd.

So far 7/70 syns (starting yesterday) so 100% week going well.

I've just made Tomato soup for my lunch... I used a HEa and melted some cheese into it, was scrummy :) Is it the one from the Nov/Dec magazine? With Red Onion in it?

I was speaking to my sister about SW and if she could see a reason I didn't do well the first week... and she highlighted that I was only using between 5-7 syns a day and that maybe I actually needed to use more of my syns to balance out my day more. I love crisps so have invested in some quavers (4.5 syns) for after dinner when I get that "Must Munch" feeling. Maybe mention the whole balance thing to your OH so he starts to understand that you have to use them. Stress that if you don't have some fat in your diet, the body can go into survival mode and starts to preserve its favourite source of energy - the fat. So if you don't take any in, your body won't let go of the chub you have already (does that make sense?)

Everyone's body is different but if you feel you need the syns, use them as they are there to prevent you feeling restricted and having a wobble (such as takeaway Pizza or Kebab ;) ) or it might be your body letting you know what it needs :)

This could have been written by me!! I was exactly the same, restarted after a year's break and only lost 1lb in my first week. Most disappointing. My bf was just as supportive as yours and said all the right things to make me feel better!!

Anyway, onwards and upwards this week. I currently have a Superfree soup on the hob and I've bought lots of extra veggies so I can have loads of healthy soups through the week. My WI is on Wed so I'm gonna be 100% on track til then.

CustardLipstick - I have a craving for wine tonight too... My problem is I have 4 bottles of my fave wine sitting on the shelf behind me!!! Luckily my flatmate is working late ad my bf is going out to play darts. I'm not one to sit drinking on my own, so I will resist.

I am struggling a bit with using my syns. Like you, I feel like I should use them on stuff I really want, but so far I haven't had any major cravings, and therefore most days I'm hardly eating any syns. Problem is, I feel guilty when I use more than 10, cos that stupid SW online food diary makes u feel guilty when you go over 10... Can't win!!!

I take it your OH is well versed on how SW works then?? My bf hasn't really shown an interest in how it works, but he has left me with his Jamie Oliver book (that I got him at xmas) to try to SW version some of Jamie's stuff!!! Think I'm going to have to sit him down and explain exactly how it works!!

Maverick - Haha, we are silly... it's still a loss. Although I am still sulking about it a bit but in a cheerful not going to hold me back way!

I always used to aim for 10 syns the first time round with SW as inevitably when I remembered the ketchup I had on my slimming world chips or other forgotten naughtiness, it was unlikely I'd go over the 15. Maybe that's why the online thing makes you feel guilty... Blimey Maverick don't let the online thing bully you though! :D

I tried to explain to my bf how it works and he listened patiently and then gets confused and or forgets parts of it. He'll have to understand it come May though as he's promised our meals will be SW friendly once we move back in together ;)

Sorry, Kirsty, feel like I am hijacking your thread!

Haha dont worry about it!! Its funny when you find someone who is in the exact same situation and think thats me! We are all alot more a like than we think ;)

My OH knows SW inside out, his mom is the reason I joined! He did it kind of in uni, but would have no syns all week, just lean meat - loves his red days! then go out drinking, supposed thats only to be expected in uni really but now neither of us are, and he still wont let me! Thinks one glass of wine will sent me over the edge pfft. So whats he done? Hes gone out go karting, then decided that hes not going to come home for tea, instead hes going to go out for a meal and invited me! I know that they will end up at nandos which I've never really been interested in (over price chicken much?) and i need to wash my hair etc etc so kanny be bothered! And his work colleges like to ask me every question under the sun which annoys me.

So instead im now sat here, having to make my own burgers :( no wine, no chocolate, totm iminent and feeling far to lazy :p

Soooooooooo as a little bit of inspiration, and hopefully motivation - this is what I am aiming for. Its definately not impossible as its me!! Now where is my wine....

scancover.jpg

Wow that is a gorgeous picture hun, you look fab there and I'm sure you will look and feel as fab again soon. Photos are one thing which definitely spur me on. The last time i had a lot of photos taken was at Halloween, and looking at them is just awful. It's the double chin and massive arms that really get to me, so that's what I'm hoping leaves first!!!

If it's any consolation, I'm waiting on a baked potato to cook, to have with leftover curry and veggies... Nothing on tv, no-one here to talk to :( I actually just said to my bf on the phone that Im starting to feel like a hermit!! Not that I want to go out, cos I don't have anything I feel comfortable wearing out. Big hoodie at home does the job!!

Exactly! I threw out all by big clothes bar one pair of jeans, but now im working i need stuff to wear again and everything i own is 10/12 and im not 16/18!!! Im hoping I can loose it even faster than last time, as I did it while in uni and had several weeks off due to holidays so overall too 18 months. Im hoping that by this time next year I will be back to feeling comfortable again. I did a bit of supply before christmas but before it started I was spending all my time in the house on my own, alone, bored, going literally mad! I want to get back out there being social again but currently I feel like the "fat friend" again. Im thinking might have a chinese! Saves cooking and I have syns to spend :D

I like Nandos but mostly for the reason that what I normally order comes to 14.5 syns :D You are having a blah evening. Stay in, have a glass of wine and watch a film that makes you smile (love actually always works for me) haha or indeed a chinese :). That photo is pretty decent motivation to keep at it and not go overboard. The only pictures I have of me looking slim are from Uni and are fuzzy and not the best.

Instead I have collected 3 of the worst ones of me lately and have them up to remind me why I am doing this. I don't come from a very photogenic family so I need all the help (and far less chins) to look good in photos :)

I have the opposite problem, I never threw out my skinny clothes so I keep reminding myself that I have clothes ready for when I'm a 14, 12 and 10 rather than torturing myself with "look what I could be wearing" sighs.

I had pasta with a home made balsamic, salami and tomato sauce with a whole bunch of veg on the side. I figured it would be dull and I wasn't looking forward to it but I actually really enjoyed it :)

You do look stunning in that photo. Hope I can achieve as much.
I have the same problem at work with people passing round the chocs given by the students. I keep saying no but one of the other technicians seems to make it her mission in life to get me to eat it instead of her. I think her principal is better on your hips than mine. :mad:

Back