Extra Easy A gain in my first week!

loobs202

I joined SW on the 11th Aug. I've read and heard about lots of people having big losses in their first week, but I gained half a pound : ( I knew this would happen because my period is due and I'm always much heavier the week before. Now my period is a couple of days late and I've never felt so bloated in my life! I've been sticking to the plan but am dreading my weigh in on Thurs in case I have another gain.

Aw @loobs202 that's so annoying! Our bodies are funny old things, especially when it comes to time of the month.
I know I personally retain so much water around my period, it's not unusual for me to gain 3-4lbs.
I hope that you're managing to stick to the plan- can imagine it being pretty disheartening- but if you can, go to WI on Thurs and see how you've done. Maybe have a chat with consultant?
In the mean time, drink lots of water (and peppermint tea if you can drink it- helps keep you 'regular') and see how you get on.
When you first start SW, because of the increase in fibre, it can take your body a little time to adjust.
As a side note, you couldn't be pregnant could you? Not wildly unusual for your period to go a bit AWOL if this is a major change in eating for you, but something to consider..

I had a similar situation in my first week and felt completely disheartened. I stuck to the plan 100% but was disappointed with only a 0.5lb loss as like you, I had read so much about people having big losses in their first week. My consultant looked at my food diary and basically told me I wasn't eating enough, nor did I have enough of my hexA and hexB in my first week. I took her advice on board, ate a lot more free foods and speed foods.

That's when I signed up to these forums.

A user on here gave me advice and encouraged me to keep going and I was rewarded for it that next week with a 5.5lb loss. It could be something similar for you too. All I would say is, don't be too down about it and try really hard to just keep going and keeping to plan. The first few weeks are so important for confidence and all you want to do is to see losses to keep you focused and keep you on the right track but over the course of a couple of months, those 0.5 gains won't mean too much if you stick with it.

Someone in my group that joined the same week as me had no loss the first week. Then the second week she lost 4.5lbs!

Definitely "just keep swimming"

It's as @Poppet12 and @orangesuitcase say, our bodies are funny things and weight loss is so personal. It's hard not to but we shouldn't compare ourselves to anyone else because goodness knows what's going on in our bodies at any one time. Like Poppet I also retain a tonne of water even though I don't have proper totm due to an implant. I just know when it WOULD have been and I often get a poor loss that week but then my pattern is a good one the following week as long as I don't let it bother me and knock me off the wagon.

This is a long term game. We have to remember it's not a diet but a better way of eating full stop and new habits take time to develop. Your body may or may not be used to dieting, also how you ate in the run up to starting sw can make a difference. For example someone following a vlcd and then switching may see a maintain or even a small gain. Those that lose the most in the early days tend to be those with either A more to lose or B who have eaten in their "old" way right up until joining day. You don't say how much you have to lose so it's hard to judge. You may not have much to lose and so your body will take its time.

A final thing that I have talked about on other threads and that bears repeating and thinking about for future is that although sw claims free food is unlimited that is not an invitation to go mad. Particularly with things such as pasta and potato and rice and Muller lights. I, along with several others keep a portion check using my fitness pal as well as following sw principles. I could do this diet and put on weight using their core principles. Hence my additional check!

Good luck and stay with us and report back!! We do love to be right ;) ;) when people get a good loss :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies. I stayed the same this week. I was so upset and just burst into tears as soon as I got outside. I genuinely haven't cheated at all, always weigh my oats in the morning and average about 8 syns a day. Regarding the free food, I really haven't been going mad. I only have one muller light in the morning and very occasionally have another later in the day. It's something I am quite paranoid about having only ever done weight watchers in the past. Unfortunately I cracked last night because I was so frustrated and upset and ate about 60 syns worth of malteasers and hula hoops. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but I feel like such a failure.

There's no way on this earth that I'm pregnant!! I haven't had a night out in almost two years because I hate the way I look so much. I want to gain some confidence before I think about dating again.

@loobs202

Could you post a couple of days food diary?

Here's an example of the sort of thing I'm eating

Breakfast - 35g oats with raspberries and vanilla muller light (HEXB)
latte (3.5 syns)

Lunch - salad made with packet of smoked ham, fat free cottage cheese, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, red onion

Dinner - chilli (SW recipe) with rice and roasted veg (fry light, courgette, cherry tomatoes, red onion, pepper, garlic) and fat free greek yoghurt.

Snacks - 3 x Babybell light (HEXA)
2 bananas
2 x Alpen Light (3.5 syns each)

Total Syns - 10.5

Breakfast - 35g oats with banana and toffee muller light (HEXB)
latte (3.5 syns)

Lunch - cold chicken pasta (made with syn free mayo recipe, pasta, chicken, red onions, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, pepper)

Dinner - SW ready meal (chicken in tomato sauce) with potatoes, broccoli and carrots

Snacks - 3 x Babybell light (HEXAB)
Quark, options hot choc, meringue and raspberries ( 4.5 syns)
1 banana dipped in half a pot of mullerlight

Total Syns - 8

I know I could be eating more fruit but I really don't like it!

I can't see anything really obvious. Do you mind me asking how much you weigh? How much you want to lose and your height? I can't see it in your stats and sometimes if someone doesn't have much to loose or is already in the relatively healthy range it can make a difference. You also said you did WW before. When did you stop?

I'm 5ft 9 and weigh 15 stone 4lbs, so I've got at least 3 stone to lose in order to be in the healthy range. I've done WW off and on for years but not recently. Have been gaining and losing the same 3 stone for 15 years. Maybe this diet just isn't for me!

Your stats are very very similar to mine currently. The only other thing I can think of is portion size? Have you tried logging your food into something like MFP for a couple of days to see what your kcal intake really is? SW works in kcal deficit like any other weight loss programme it just goes about it in a better way. Worth a try for a day or two just to rule it out? Otherwise I still think stick with it. There is no way that you can follow the principles of SW and not lose weight at some point! Maybe your body just wonders what's going on and is holding onto everything. That can happen if you don't eat enough? So maybe you are not having enough rather than too much? Still worth checking I think? Doing WW on and off for years will also mean your body becomes mildly resistant due to fluctuations. It's a survival mechanism.

I think I'm just going to go back to counting points. When I do it properly, it works for me. I was just fed up of always having to calculate home many points I had left before I ate anything and thought I'd give SW a try for a change because it has worked for my friends. Even if my portions were too big, ( and I'm pretty sure they're not because at least a third is usually speed veg) surely the 5 - 6 syns I'm not using a day would cancel it out? My friend thinks I'm having too many bananas. I don't think 2 per day is particularly excessive. If it is, then why have them as a free food? I appreciate your help and advice. Sorry for moaning.

Back