A grear way to understand weightloss on a VLCD

mrsbroadside

Hi, I have just read this article and it really helped me understand the weight loss and why mine has slowed in week 3, very motivating! Hope it helps some of you too.
Ali
(ps. it's quite long, but worth the read!)

In the first week of a VLCD you can lose a tremendous amount of weight, this can be seen daily on the scale, dropping 1-2 or even 3lb each day. Although encouraging and this makes you feel immediately lighter - this is not a true fat loss. This is mainly due to an empty stomach, water, and stool release.

Your true fat loss will come after day 4 when you are in Ketosis (fat burning) and the only way you can put this lost fat back on is to over consume food, carbs and sugar mainly. Your weight in the first weeks should be great and dependant on how much you need to lose, age, dieting history etc it can range from 7lb to 1stone for some clients, (the biggest loss we have recorded is 23lbs for a gentleman who was over 30stone). After this in your second week it is normal to expect to shed at least half the weight loss again, and therefore the first two week are generally a great kick start to your journey. This is one reason it is recommended to follow a VLCD plan for a minimum of 1 month.

The weeks that follow should bring a weight loss of approximately 3-4lb for most ladies and a little more for men. This generally averages out to 1stone each month and is a good bench mark for your weight loss, (if continuously lower it is worth checking your plan to ensure you are in ketosis, and not over measuring foods). Weight loss on any programme can plateau and we generally find a small loss in week 3, the body tends to think there is something wrong due to the great weight loss and may pause for a little, if this happens just continue and it should correct itself for week 4. The worst thing to do is give up or eat as this just confirms to the body that it was right to pause.

The figure of 3-4lb is quite scientific and I will try to explain - for each pound of fat you lose you need to consume 3,500 calories less than your body requires, using the concept of a VLCD of around 500kcal over a week you consume 3,500kcals. The average ladies requires 14000kcal per week / the average man 17500kcal you are therefore just over 10000kcal short of your body's energy requirement and this should bring a weight reduction of 3lb each week. Add to this the structure of the diet, ie Ketosis, Low Carb, Low Sugar etc you generally find that you can lose extra as well, especially if you can drink plenty of regular water. 3- 4 Litres of water (this must be steady through the day and not all in one go !!!)

Hope this has helped... remember if you step on the scales they can go up or down some days, dependant on water retention, stools, body temperature, time of the month and others, a weekly weight is a better idea & always remember when you feel so down that you may cave, it is scientifically impossible not to lose weight on a diet of around 500kcal - 800kcal - Both are considered a VLCD - if staying the same or not losing there is always, always another reason or the body is just resting for a short while to catch up with itself,

Thanks for this, really enjoyed it!

Excellent, thanks!

That's really interesting and motivating... Thanks

Thumbs up for this, great information and a good motivation tool - thanks! :)

Makes a lot of sense and at least it explains the plateau. It just the body catching up - thank goodness!

Thanks, MrsB!

Ali

Really interesting read, i have just finished week 3 and although i shouldnt weigh myself daily my weight had gone up and down all week but at the end i lost 3lbs.... i am going to resist weighing now till next sunday as it was a bit demorilising seeing the scales go up...... but reading your article has definately made me understand why... thanks

Thank you MrsB. Excellent read.

This bit really struck a chord with me:

"The worst thing to do is give up or eat as this just confirms to the body that it was right to pause."

VLCD's really make you listen to your body, and force us really to try and understand it better. And it's when we are listening proberly and not fighting it that we do well on these diets. Well, I can only speak for myself, but it really feels that way for me!

Back