A healthier attitude to food for the long term!

haylz123

Hi everyone,
I'm 5ft2in and currently weigh 8st13lb, so with a BMI of 22.9, I realise that I am not overweight. However over the past few months through intermittent issues with binge eating I have gained around 10lb from my usual weight of 8st 3lb where I feel happy and comfortable. I have decided to start a diary to keep me on track in order to firstly lose those excess pounds gained but mainly to try and adopt a healthier approach and attitude to eating to last for the long term.
The Slimming World principles are ones that I am familiar with as my Mum has lost 3st with Slimming World, so this will form the main basis of my plan, with occasional days of calorie counting mixed in where special occasions make it difficult to stick to.

Wish me luck! :)

So here we go with the plan for day 1:

Green:
Breakfast:porridge with blackberries (HEXA and HEXB)
Plum and cup of tea
Lunch: Leek, pea and mint frittata with salad
Snack: Melon, pineapple and grapes dipped in FF Nat yog
Tea: Saag aloo (slightly adapted from Save with Jamie book)
Snack- Banana and HEXA2 200ml Oatly Choc Milk

Will probably use some Syns too later on, will see how I feel.

So day 1 went to plan, feeling quite positive so far but my first hurdle will come on saturday. Have got a social event coming up where there will be a three course set meal and alcohol on offer. No idea what the food will be until the night so am just hoping to try and be sensible and stick to a couple of either wine and sodas or vodka lime and sodas to drink. Anyways, heres the plan for day 2:

EE
Breakfast- Weetabix, sliced apple and blackberries with milk (HEXA and HEXB)
Cup of tea and plum
Lunch- Ham, egg and new potato salad
Pineapple chunks
Nectarine and pear
SW Fish goujons, chips and minted crushed peas (3)
Activia 0% Yoghurt

Snack: Highlights Hot Choc (2)

Exercise: 45 mins gym

Day 3, so far so good, but as I said I'm going to find tomorrow difficult with food being somewhat out of my control. So summary for today:

Friday- RED
Breakfast- Porridge with chopped apple and blackberries (HEXA and HEXB)
Plum and cup of tea
Lunch- Ham salad sandwich with 70g wholemeal bread (HEXB2 +1.5), carrot sticks and canteloupe melon
Snacks- Banana, pear and nectarine
Tea- Cajun chicken salad- lettuce, tomatoes, pepper, grated carrot, beetroot and mozzarella (HEXA2)
Activia 0% Yoghurt

Snack- Cadburys sandwich biscuit (5)

2x HEXA 2xHEXB 5.5 Syns 5 mile run

Just reporting in after a night away last night, Im actually quite proud of myself for having some willpower, I think I made the best choices I could have done:

Saturday- EE
Breakfast- Activia 0% Cherry Yoghurt and a banana
Lunch- HEXB Wholemeal bread toastie with cajun chicken and mozzarella (1/3 HEXA) and carrot sticks. Nectarine
Snack- Apple, pear, plum

Dinner- Was out at a function- set menu: Roast beef with all the trimmings and gravy- managed to eat all the meat, vegetables and new potatoes. Only had a couple of mouthfuls of yorkshire pudding.
Dessert was Sticky Toffee Pudding- ate only half with no cream, willpower or what!
No idea on syns for this, if anyone could help me out? My guess was 15-20?

2x White wine and soda= 12 Syns

Sunday- EE
Breakfast- Porridge (HEXA and HEXB), with raspberries and chopped apple
Snack- Grapes

Lunch (another roast!)- Roast chicken, Frylighted roast potatoes, cabbage, carrots and gravy (2)- resisted a Yorkshire!
Pears with Coconut Muller greek (0.5), and a tbsp caramel icecream (2)

Snacks- Orange and nectarine

Tea- Leek and potato soup, banana
Cadbury Snack Sandwich (5)

In conclusion, damage could have been a lot worse! :)

Hi, after what seems to have been a busy week so far, just updating my diary:

Mon: Breakfast- Porridge and nectarine
Late lunch/ early dinner- Grilled hoisin chicken (from Asia book), brown rice and green beans (1)
Yoghurt
Snacks- Banana apple grapes pear
Late tea- Homemade leek and potato soup
Iced finger bun (6.5)

Syns 7.5

Tuesday
Breakfast- Porridge, raspberries and FF Greek Yog
Chicken and pasta salad (0.5 for EL mayo)
Snacks- Nectarine, apple, pear , orange, Aldi choc orange benefit bar (3)
Tea- Pork and apple burgers homemade, wedges, salad and ketchup (1)
Yoghurt and Cadburys snack biscuit (5)

Syns- 9.5

Wednesday
BrEAKFAST- Porridge with chopped apple and raspberries (HEXA and HEXB)
Lunch- Pepper, tomato and spring onion frittata. 4 seafood sticks
Snacks- Nectarine, banana, plums, pear
Tea- Mexican beef stew with baked sweet potato and salad ( Save with Jamie recipe, was absolutely delish and cheap to make too!)
Yoghurt
pm treat- Homemade carrot cake (9)- a recipe from Healthy Food Guide magazine that I get, had a few adaptations, apple sauce replaced some of the sunflower oil. Tasted lovely for the syns, as long as the rest of it lives to tell the tale!

Syns- 9

Weighed in for the first time this morning, and was pleased to see a 3lb loss! Just goes to show if I can curb the binges, I know what im doing and it does work. Has given me some confidence to stick in and keep going!

Just updating now for yesterday and today:

Thursday- Green
Breakfast- Porridge with chopped apple and raspberries (HEXA1 HEXB1)
Snack-Plums and cup of tea
Lunch-Wholemeal toast (HEXB2) with 1tsp pineapple jam (1), banana and WW Fromage Frais
Snacks- Pear and orange
Tea- Spinach and butternut squash ritolo (Save with Jamie adaptation)- yummy HEXA2 for feta and parmesan
Activia 0% Yoghurt
Snack- Cadburys snack biscuit (5) and options hot choc (2)

Syns- 8

Friday- EE
Breakfast- Branflakes with chopped apple raspberries and half HEXA milk
Snack- Plums
Lunch- Leftover concoction of butternut squash, spinach and red lentils topped with half HEXA feta
Slice of watermelon and WW Fromage frais
Snacks- Banana and nectarine

Evening- Going out with friends for a curry and drinks tonight so the plan which I eneavour to stick to is:
Chicken or lamb rogan josh with bolied rice and 1 poppadom
2 White wine sodas

Not sure on syns but no its one of the better choices so shouldnt be horrific?!

Its Friday :)!!

So last night I did manage to have 1 poppadom, chicken rogan josh and boiled rice which was good. However some naan bread may have accidently slipped into my mouth (we were sharing in a big group so temptation was there!) and I do admit to having 3 white wine sodas instead of the two I had planned for. But to be honest in the scheme of things I'm not too upset about it as I had a nice meal in the company of friends I hadn't seen for a long time and I really enjoyed myself. In the past after thinking I'd blown it I would have gone home and binged on chocolate and biscuits afterwards, so I'm pleased that on this occasion I mAnaged to resist and keep thinking positive. So, onwards to today:

Saturday-EE
Breakfast- HEXB toast with chopped banana and an apple
Lunch- Stirfry veg, noodles with a soy and chilli dressing. WW Fromage frais and slice of watermelon
Snacks- Pear and nectarine
Tea- Paprika pork (from Oct Mag) with brown rice and green beans
Custard and stewed apple (3.5 syns+HEXA for homemade custard, know your meant to syn for the stewed apple but I dont believe in this silly rule!)
Snack- Highlights Hot Choc (2)

Syns 5.5

Hope everyone is having nice weekends!

Hey Haylz - found your diary! Loving your food - looks like you had a great first week and overcame a few social obstacles by making really good choices - go you!!

I bought the save with Jamie book a few weeks ago and haven't made anything yet!! Need to get my finger out :) xx

Thanks for stopping by. Yeah I do feel like Ive done the best I could with a few obstacles in my way, but not sure how long my resolve will last! It's really good, the majority of recipes can be adapted to make them low syn or free. My favourites so far are the mexican beef stew, chicken stew and squash and spinach rotolo- highly recommended!

Hi, just updating the old diary for today. Not a particularly exciting day for me today, just doing some uni work and planned to go out for a run later this afternoon when the other half gets back from work.

Sunday- EE
Breakfast- Porridge with chopped apple and raspberries (seems to be the usual at the moment!) (HEXA and HEXB)
Lunch- Ham, new potato and boiled egg salad (0.5 for EL mayo). Sugar free raspberry jelly (0.5) and a slice of watermelon
Snacks- Plums, pear, banana
Tea- Hoisin beef stirfry with noodles (1). Activia 0% Cherry Yoghurt
Evening treat- Choc orange aero biscuit (5)

Syns- 7 Exercise- 10K run

My netball league starts again this week which is nice, find it much more enjoyable to play a team sport than to go out running in the rain! Especially as its getting darker nights.

So, feel like I have had a bottomless pit day today but as ive been keeping busy its only translated into excessive fruitage consumption! Heres a round up of today:

Monday- EE
Breakfast- Overnight oats with sliced nectarine, raspberries and fat free nat yog
Snack-Pear
Lunch- Wholemeal pasta with 1/2 tin Asda ratatouille (0.5)
Snacks- Watermelon, 2 apples, banana and satsuma
Tea- Bacon and cherry tomato risotto (HEXA cheese). Activia 0% Yoghurt
Snack- Cadbury snack biscuit (5)

While I'm here, this is how tomorrow is looking. Having a red day which I love as 2HEXA/B means I can have yummy things like chocolate oatly for breakfast!

Tuesday- Red
Breakfast- 2 Weetabix with 200ml choc oatly and sliced banana (AB)
Snack- Plum
Lunch- 60g wholemeal bread with ham, HEXA cheese and 1tsp pickle (1). Carrot sticks and a satsuma
Snacks- Apple and sharon fruit
Tea- Liver and onions in gravy (1), carrot and swede mash, broccoli and peas. Activia 0% Yoghurt
Snack- Daim bar (7.5)

Yummy day!

Having a bad day today! Sitting at home attempting to do an assignment that I dont want to do, in a bad mood! Have had a Daim bar as planned (7.5) a Cadburys miniature (4) and another 1.5 Syns today. Have a moment where I could just go for a full on binge :-( . Need convincing this is not what I should do, really struggling!

Don't do it. It's not worth it. It feels like it is, but it's not. You know you don't really want to or you wouldn't have posted that but you're letting your mood convince you that you do want it...

Maybe you're too hungry. Make a big plate of beans and eggs and have it with a large glass of water and that should do the trick! x

Thanks, I know that is absolutely the truth, just dont know whats wrong with me! I have had a big cup of tea, a pint of orange cordial and had my tea early piling my plate with extra vegetables! So now im full for definite, just working on ignoring the chocolate craving. Writing myself a list of things to keep me busy to divert my attention!

So it doesnt take a genius to guess that my recent absence of posts means I've had a wobble. It was in the form of lots of chocolate and buttered toast with jam over the last couple of evenings unfortunately, and for no apparent reason :sigh:

However, moving on I feel like I'm back in the game today and a lot more positive with a nice red day and a 5 mile run in the sun this afternoon. So todays food:

Thursday-Red
Breakfast- Porridge with chopped apple and raspberries (HEXA/HEXB)
Lunch- Frylighted bacon and fried egg sandwich (HEXB2) (2 syns tomato sauce) with 2 satsumas and a plum
Snack- Banana and a pear
Tea- Pizza topped chicken- peppers, red onions and HEXA2 cheddar, roasted butternut squash and salad. Activia 0% Yoghurt
Snack- Highlights Hot Choc (2) and mini flake (4)

8 syns today and a 5 mile run

Hopefully back on the right track now!

So... had a busy few days. Friday was totally on plan and so was yesterday up until the afternoon. Had family to visit and had bought my mum afternoon tea for her birthday. So have literally been in a sugar coma the last 24 hours- it was delicious though. So definitely expecting a gain when I weigh on wed, bad times. However have got a clear week this week so no reason for it not to be 100%!

Back