A LESSON learnt, and WARNING to others!!! The power of CARBS

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
Morning all! This is long, but I hope helpful.

**WARNING: - a bit of food mentioned

Well, I just wanted to write a bit about the past couple of months and how it has affected my eating habits, and how that has affected my weight.

For those who don't know I have been off the diet and maintaining for 7 months, when I started RTM. I've had little ups and down - always staying within a pound on either side of my goal, which I consider maintaining.

SInce January 30, when my job ended due to redundancy everything went topsy turvy. My routine was shaken, and life got pretty hectic. There were also unusual family matters that caused a lot of stress and a few other things. Safe to say its been a very stressful Feb, March and April.

I have mentioned some of this before of course, and will again say it has become clear that stress is a trigger. I always thought the emotions that were my biggest triggers were depression, boredom, loneliness, etc.

While those things may still be, they have been quite easy to manage - never turning to food....at all. But stress - stress has been a different matter.

Out of stress/nervousness, I did find myself picking at things I would not normally have done in the past 7 months. Mostly healthy choices, and a few naughty squares of chocolate here, or a biscuit there. Certainly nothing that even copares or comes close to what it would have been pre-LL, but still - not really great choices.

Always in a conscious mode, I was having these. And I was weighing myself regulary. Always on a MOnday morning - occassionaly once mid-week if I felt uncertain and needed to check in.

The scales were staying the same, and I found myself beginning to think, "Phew! I got away with that!" Which is the wrong attitude.

When I started RTM someone, maybe KD<?> told me when Isaid how easy I was finding it- "Just wait - wait for the call of the carbs. They WILL call you, and it will get difficult."

As the weeks of stress went on, so did the picking, and so did the attitude, "I am getting away with this! Yay!"

And just when I thought, "I can get away with much more then I thought I could" BAM! there is was. And I stepped on the scale one morning, and after about 9 weeks of staying exactly the same, I shot up 3kgs!:eek: And I realised, "Oh - so I CAN'T get away with that - and shame on me for thinking that was the right attitude!!!"

I reflected over the week before, which was my last week on the job at BUPA, and I realised, I had been just eating whatever, whenever really. They brought Pizza's in to the office. I ate it. If there were biscuits in the canteen on a platter, I grabbed one. Not 5 - just one - but still.

At home, I started craving things. in the evenings. A little bowl of cereal won;t hurt.

I realised I started to have "little" amounts of things to stave off little hunger pangs - and in reflection they were ALL carbs, and not good low GI carbs.

So that explained the 3kgs!

At first, for a flash, I got depressed.

BUT - afrter a moment, I thought right....two options here. 1, carry on and be silly, or 2, put into practice and use the tools I have learned on LL.

Shall I stop now at just 3kgs, or shall I get mad, pout, have a strop and eat come cookies?

So, I said to myself, in the mirror as I have talked about before, "Right you silly muppet - stop this now and sort yourself out!!"

So, last week, on Saturday I started a 7-day plan to sort myself out. I made a conscious promise - no more carbs...very little protein...a hearty vegetable soup would be my mainstay...lots of fruit and veg. ANd nothing else. So I set off to clear this weight-debt I created.

And today, one week later, I stepped on the scales, and presto! I am back to my target weight. Those 3kgs are gone. Like the wind.

I am not thinking "Phew - got away with it". I am thinking, "Damn! That was close!" And I have learned from this....

Learned that old habits can stealthily crawl back in without our even knowing it, and that carbs will call carbs - like an evil network!!

But the beauty of it is - I took control. Made a conscious effort, put my mind to it, followed tha plan to a T, and knocked it iff before it snowballed out of control, which will always be a fear Ithink.

So, warning to those who are still abstaining, or just about to start RTM, or to finish RTM - never ever let your guard down. Never assume you can "get away with sometihng".

That is crooked thinking, its deceiving and its plain old wrong.

This has been a good lesson to me. And it has also shown me that at times, where one might live the high life for reasons they should - not stress - but a break and hooliday to be enjoyed, etc., - that the damage can be undone so swiftly, and easily, if you just take control.

Be warned - never EVER trust the carbs!!!

Signing off, so happy to have learned this lesson, and to see that I can control my weight.

Cheers!! Hope this helps.

xx

Last edited:
BL i have copied and pasted this post in a word doc on my desktop -so when the carbs call and i need some help i have it to read!
thanks
daisy x

You are welcome Daisy, er, I mean Dorothy?

I gotta say again, I cannot get over how pretty and sweet you look in that outfit!! I think you should be Dorothy everyday - you're gorgeous! :)

But yeah - just be well aware, they can get to you (carbs) little by little without your even being aware!!! Scary!!

xx

When I started RTM someone, maybe KD<?> told me when Isaid how easy I was finding it- "Just wait - wait for the call of the carbs. They WILL call you, and it will get difficult."

Yeah, it was me :eek: Commonly known as the Bringer of Bad News, though I prefer to refer to myself as Honest KD :D

As the weeks of stress went on, so did the picking, and so did the attitude, "I am getting away with this! Yay!"
Yes. Easy isn't it. But as you mention later, there is no 'getting away with it'. When you are at goal (or close), I believe it's really important that you measure your success by what you do between the weigh ins, rather than the weigh ins itself.

Umm. Even better though to learn how to deal with carbs. Remember that unless you are planning on completely cutting out carbs such as rice/pasta/pots etc, your diet will be unbalanced, and you will get that glycogen gain the moment you have them again. And I guess you will at some point?

Signing off, so happy to have learned this lesson, and to see that I can control my weight.
Crooked thinking BL. Sorry, but it is IMO. I am a firm believer that once into maintenance, you do not control your weight. Instead, you learn to eat a balanced diet, deal with emotions in another way, and find exactly how much your body needs. The weight then takes care of itself. Focusing on the weight can bring problems. You may be successful, but not eat properly or have dealt with issues.

See...Honest KD ;)

Lots of hugs :hug99:

I'm no-one to talk as I'm only starting out on my weight loss journey, but I read somewhere that you don't have a weight problem, you have an eating problem. And that thought was what prompted me to join LL.

KD and BL, I've been browsing these boards for hours over my first week and you are both very inspiring - thank you!

Yeah, it was me :eek: Commonly known as the Bringer of Bad News, though I prefer to refer to myself as Honest KD :D [/qoute]

lol - you must have radar! :D

Yes. Easy isn't it. But as you mention later, there is no 'getting away with it'. When you are at goal (or close), I believe it's really important that you measure your success by what you do between the weigh ins, rather than the weigh ins itself.

oh, I agree, in the main - but the weekly weigh ins tell me how well I have done between times. Of course they are not the only thing to consider.

Umm. Even better though to learn how to deal with carbs. Remember that unless you are planning on completely cutting out carbs such as rice/pasta/pots etc, your diet will be unbalanced, and you will get that glycogen gain the moment you have them again. And I guess you will at some point?

I have only cut them out to return to where I was, which is not so much a number - but where I feel comforatble and fit. When life was more balanced, so was my diet. Which is where I agree about dealing with things, or learning to, but when it gets on top of you - you can give in, or take corrective action, which for me was just eliminating them for a short time. They have been part of my diet since completion, but they got a bit more seductive when stressed, if that makes sense. And I feel happy to have recognised that where as before would have easily turned a blind eye.

Crooked thinking BL. Sorry, but it is IMO. I am a firm believer that once into maintenance, you do not control your weight. Instead, you learn to eat a balanced diet, deal with emotions in another way, and find exactly how much your body needs. The weight then takes care of itself. Focusing on the weight can bring problems. You may be successful, but not eat properly or have dealt with issues.

Hmmm, I'd have to disagree. For me. I felt it was very straight forward thinking....i.e., I've over done - now under do to balance out. THatANd to use that time to reflect on what I had done wrong and why I dealt with the things the way I did. But I felt the best way for me, was to take corrective action. It all makes me more aware of the work that still needs doing.

See...Honest KD ;)

Wouldn;t know, or want, you to be any other way!! :)

lol - you must have radar! :D

Whoops. My secret is out :D

oh, I agree, in the main - but the weekly weigh ins tell me how well I have done between times. Of course they are not the only thing to consider.
Yes, of course. Weigh ins are important. I weigh every day. But I reckon what's more important is how to decipher the reading.

You can't have put on that much in fat. The scales are telling you that you have probably restored some glycogen that was missing...bringing you back to normal levels?

You may have put on some fat, who knows, but it wouldn't have been the biccies or whatever, because only excess calories bring back fat. So if you had the odd biccie now and again too often, and didn't reduce some other food, eventually you would gain. Otherwise it's just water weight.

But I felt the best way for me, was to take corrective action. It all makes me more aware of the work that still needs doing.
And of course, we all have to do what is right for us. So you reduce your carbs, lose the water weight, and make sure you keep low carb forever? Or, go for a balanced diet with a few less calories (just in case there was some fat gain) and know you are getting a 'true' weigh in that wont jump massively and will also mean you can eat whatever you like (hopefully healthily in the most part) for the rest of your natural days.

Wouldn;t know, or want, you to be any other way!! :)
Cool :D I know I take risks, questioning people, and I'm really not out to try to persuade everyone to think the same as me LOL. Guess I just want people to look at things from different angles.

Whoops. My secret is out :D

THere are no secrets on Minimin, are there? :D :giggle:

You can't have put on that much in fat. The scales are telling you that you have probably restored some glycogen that was missing...bringing you back to normal levels?

SUrely though, after 7 months of eating (3 of those RTM) I would have been back to normal levels though, right?

You may have put on some fat, who knows, but it wouldn't have been the biccies or whatever, because only excess calories bring back fat. So if you had the odd biccie now and again too often, and didn't reduce some other food, eventually you would gain. Otherwise it's just water weight.

I didn;t say how many peices of Pizza I had. :eek: And I forgot, I had cake. :eek: (funny, I was only really thinking, honestly, that I had mostly healthy choices, so there were some unconscious choices too!! Stress really gets to me sometimes! ) So this kind of opened my eyes!

And of course, we all have to do what is right for us. So you reduce your carbs, lose the water weight, and make sure you keep low carb forever?

Well, I have been staying pretty low carb, and the carbs I normally have are grainy carbs: rice, lentils, etc. In trigger weeks I realised I have quite areaction to breads, so the pizza surely is what got me the most?

Or, go for a balanced diet with a few less calories (just in case there was some fat gain) and know you are getting a 'true' weigh in that wont jump massively and will also mean you can eat whatever you like (hopefully healthily in the most part) for the rest of your natural days.

I was in a hurry. :D Joking aside, I was - it scared me. I wanted it gone - sooner then later. That may be crooked thinking, but it is also self-preservation....and fear. lol

Cool :D I know I take risks, questioning people, and I'm really not out to try to persuade everyone to think the same as me LOL. Guess I just want people to look at things from different angles

I always appreciate the angles you throw!

:)
xxx

THere are no secrets on Minimin, are there? :D :giggle:

Teehee. Nope. But I hope my ramblings don't stop you feeling that you can't share. It was such an honest post and a chance for me to blah blah :D
SUrely though, after 7 months of eating (3 of those RTM) I would have been back to normal levels though, right?
Depends what you were eating. Low carb and no, it wouldn't have 'refilled'. Low salt and again, extra water weight just while things get back to normal.

Even so, even if your glycogen levels were back to normal, something must have caused that quick gain, and it is highly unlikely that it's fat...would break all the laws of thermodynamics and all that.

I didn;t say how many peices of Pizza I had. :eek:
LOL. Whoops :D Pizza is yum though. Usually have one a week. Not the biggies though, just the ristaurante ones, which I love and are relatively low cals which is cool.

I was in a hurry. :D Joking aside, I was - it scared me. I wanted it gone - sooner then later. That may be crooked thinking, but it is also self-preservation....and fear. lol
I can understand that and good for you for dealing with it as soon as you noticed, even if I don't 100% go along with the way :D Got to be better than contracting Ostrich Syndrome.

Well done BL

I knew you were determined to lose the extra 3kgs. and you have, before it became a problem. That to me is what it's all about. Take control.
I may find I'm in a simialr situation when we go for WI on Monday. I don't weigh myself in between, but clothes feel a little tighter round the middle.
I've been on hols from work this week and although I haven't eaten anything "bad" I have been picking more while at home, too much dried fruit and yogurt I think. Apricots, cranberries, sultanas, pine nuts - easy to grab a handful.
Old habits die hard, but least it's not crisps or cheese and biscuits nowadays.
Back to work and back on track next week.

Thank you BL for your insight, I may print out your initial post and put it in my folder for future reference, because I do see myself having a hang-up about carbs in particular in the future. And indeed, I do try to catch myself more often now-days than turn a blind eye to a situation that is completely controllable by me.

However, if you have not gained any weight at all since target, the quick gain as KD says (after a few slices of pizza never the less and cake) I think are the glycogen stores. 3kg/6lbs sounds about right for this. Realistically one can't gain 3kg of FAT within a week or lose it within a week either (from only minor food indulgences). It's just not possible unless you ate 3000+ calories per day for the whole week.

While I completely commend your attitude to start watching your behaviour (it's a good habit) rather than it getting out of hand, it does still seem like you are very highly strung on the food issue. I do understand the need to keep weight down, but it is also unhealthy to worry so much about being a certain number. I completely expect to gain about 3kg on top of my target and then try to keep it that way by making my food in-take a lifestyle and habitual ritual rather than something that I always need to worry about. Food just ... is. Just like everything else in life. It just merely exists, but we attach too much meaning to it I think. It's not something to be controlled or watched, that's when obsession and compulsion take hold.

Either way, thank you. I will look over your thoughts in the next few months in my folder, I'm sure it will serve as a right kick up the arse somewhere down the line!

:D

THanks peeps - I really should clarify things....I am not hung up on the number I weigh, per se, there is no worry there.

But my clothes were tight. ANd they were not tight before. THat indicate more then anything to me I need to take action.

Perhaps that would have been a better way to word it. :)

For one, I like my clothes to fit properly, and for two - I've spent a fortune on my new wardrobe and they are going to fit my for a very long time come hell or high water!! :D

I wasn;t so much worried about whether it was fat, water retention or glycogen as I was that my clothes were tight, ergo - there was a problem. Capiche? :D

xx

:D

Oki doki! And I agree about the clothes. I currently fit into a size 10, but am happy to stay and maintain at a 12. I have a few "control" pieces of clothing that I measure myself against. If they start becoming tight to wear that is my RED LIGHT to take action for sure.

I'm glad you're happy BL. :) We were just a little concerned I suppose, however, we weren't putting you down. You are doing what unfortunately most people can't seem to get their heads around. Keep an eye on the situation and maintain. You are letting people like me know that it is possible to develop a healthy lifestyle in the long term. And your passion for the healthy options definitely shines through! I always feel your excitement in the RTM forums. It's wonderful. :)

Coo, what a thread!!!

I was going to start a thread in RTM asking if you, BL, and SB and now perhaps KD would give us a snapshot of what a 'normal' day or two of food intake is for you. Would that still be possible?

And could someone, KD?, explain: -

Quote:

Does this mean that to be balanced with the correct glycogen we have to have the carbs but also have to know how many??

Thanks BL. I know it sound daft but it's almost reassuring to see that you come out the other side of this human. Warts, slip ups, carbs and all!!!

So, warning to those who are still abstaining, or just about to start RTM, or to finish RTM - never ever let your guard down. Never assume you can "get away with sometihng".

I will echo this, though I will warn that this can happen with anything, not just carbs, when you let your guard down.

I have for reasons I've barely explained, quit RTM. After my surgery, I took 2.5 weeks to myself and di whatever I wanted.

week 1 I put on 2lbs
Week 2 I put on 2lbs
Week 3 I put on 5lbs in 4 days (despite behaving better - fam,age from the previous week I suspect)

I am unsure if there is more damage to come, but I have started a fairly strict calorie controlled diet - and have started exercising (e.g. today I did 547 calories worth of exercise, and have so far taken in around 1200 cals from food - I expect that to become 1570 cals - so a net intake of just over 1000 cals.

I'm going to monitor my weight for the next 7 days and adjust the intake up or down, till I find the right levels. I have no idea how slowly or quickly the weight will come off - but it felt good to grasp control and start the exercise - and it felt good to throw a couple of things away from my fridge, that previously I would have eaten, despite them being fairly valueless (a chicken pie and a cornish pasty - 410cals each and not really how I want to "spend" my cals).

Well done BL - of everyone here, you're the one we all think of as bulletproof and it's a good reminder, that even you are human. (I just typed "ate" human lol).

Hiya

My two penny's worth for what its worth....

I agree totally that it is oh so easy to slip back into bad habits, a little bit here, a little bit there and the amount you eat starts to creep up.

On the 3kg I think it is easy to get hung up on the scales, it would be pretty difficult to gain 6lbs in a week and then equally difficult to lose it. I have found that if I have alot of carbs the scales can suddenly shoot up but if I cut back on them over the next few days the weight drops off again. It isn't actual fat gained/lost just my bodies reaction to carbs. I do agree that monitoring your weight is good practice as it allows you to see patterns, for example, I often weigh heavier on a Monday as I tend to laze around at the weekend and retain a bit of water etc etc

I am waffling on so will shut up now, just sharing my experiences.

xx

Back