A quick question about EE!

empy22

Hi, I am trying to get my head around the EE side of slimming world having followed R&G days for years on and off. I've got the book, recipe book etc so plan to do some studying and planning today! However I am just cooking my lunch (main meal today) and wonder if you wonderful EE experts can have a look at my planned meal and suggest what I can add to make it EE suitable?:confused:

So for my meal I am planning:

2x Joes syn free sauasages
scalloped pots slimming world style
Baked beans
2x dry fried eggs

Can I add fruit as a dessert too make it EE? or maybe a salad? Please help I'm finding the switch to EE confuzzling:(

Thank you muchly in advanced.

Emma

Hi Empty 22, Firstly the 1/3 superfree isn't a strict rule, it's a guide to help us optimise our losses on EE as it doesn't have the food-combining science behind it like R&G do! Some suggest you have 1/3 superfree on your plate, but I would say that as long as you don't have a mega huge portion of sausage, potato, beans and eggs then a good portion of fruit afterwards would be fine!! Alternatively you could subsitute the beans for some mushrooms, grilled tomatoes or some stirfried veg (if you want to follow the plan 100% and really encourage a great loss).X

Last edited:
I would have some salad/veg with your meal.......I am new to EE too....but this what I would do :D

Unlike Green or Original plans, with extra easy you can mix both of the free foods from each plan together.

However to avoid overindulging on just carbs and proteins, the 1/3 superfree advice was applied. What this does is automatically controls your portions. Superfree foods are the foods that are lower in calories (i.e. fruit and unstarchy vegetables - peas, sweetcorn and parsnips do not count as superfree).

If you was to just fill your plate with only carbs and proteins, although these foods are still classed as free on Extra Easy, they are the free foods which contain more calories and while SW is in no way a calorie controlled diet, if you eat more than your body physically needs you may not lose weight or even worse may have a small gain.

So with that in mind, I personally would try and include a 1/3 superfree at every meal, either before your meal (as something like a bowl of soup etc) or include it with your meal.

The trouble with having your superfree AFTER your meal, is you may already be full from the meal you have just eaten and are then forcing yourself to eat a bowl of fruit, when you are not really that hungry. This is a bad habit to get yourself into.

Don't forget when making things like chilis, shepherds pie and curries etc, superfree foods can easily be added into the sauce. It really isn't all that difficult to add a 1/3 superfree and the benefits of course are worth it.

funcurls said:
Hi Empty 22, Firstly the 1/3 superfree isn't a strict rule, it's a guide to help us optimise our losses on EE as it doesn't have the food-combining science behind it like R&G do! Some suggest you have 1/3 superfree on your plate, but I would say that as long as you don't have a mega huge portion of sausage, potato, beans and eggs then a good portion of fruit afterwards would be fine!! Alternatively you could subsitute the beans for some mushrooms, grilled tomatoes or some stirfried veg (if you want to follow the plan 100% and really encourage a great loss).X

There is no food combining science behind red and green days. It's simply because carbs and protein are higher in calories, that restricting the portions of one of these foods on your plate, will naturally reduce the calories. It was easier to split it between meat and carbs, which is why it came about. (I did a lot of research on how sw works, and that was what the website said at the time).

Also, the 1/3 superfree rule is important as on EE it's the only way of restricting your intake. A plate solely of meat and carbs will be higher in calories regardless of how it's cooked.

It took me a while to get my head round EE, but I find if I focus on filling the superfree element before anything else, then it's much easier to factor in, rather than as an after thought.

The trouble with having your superfree AFTER your meal, is you may already be full from the meal you have just eaten and are then forcing yourself to eat a bowl of fruit, when you are not really that hungry. This is a bad habit to get yourself into.

Don't forget when making things like chilis, shepherds pie and curries etc, superfree foods can easily be added into the sauce. It really isn't all that difficult to add a 1/3 superfree and the benefits of course are worth it.

That's very good advice BritMumX

There is no food combining science behind red and green days. It's simply because carbs and protein are higher in calories, that restricting the portions of one of these foods on your plate, will naturally reduce the calories. It was easier to split it between meat and carbs, which is why it came about. (I did a lot of research on how sw works, and that was what the website said at the time).

Also, the 1/3 superfree rule is important as on EE it's the only way of restricting your intake. A plate solely of meat and carbs will be higher in calories regardless of how it's cooked.

It took me a while to get my head round EE, but I find if I focus on filling the superfree element before anything else, then it's much easier to factor in, rather than as an after thought.

:whistle:I knew that *blushes* I think perhaps I should have said 'principle behind...' rather than 'science behind....' and that we have to reduce calorie in take in a different way- that's what I meant:cry: I'm shutting up now!XXX

Last edited:
Back